'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Let's talk about cabinets and installation

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-25 10:20 PM
11 replies, 4374 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

GMMRWM
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-21 8:29 AM (#35785)
Subject: Let's talk about cabinets and installation

For those of you that have already done it yourselves, what did you find was the best alternative for cabinets? Did you buy them already made and cut them to fit in your LQ space? Did you build them? If so, what did you use? Plywood, panelling??? What type of fronts did you use?

We've been stuck on this and it has slowed down the pace on our conversion. I'd like to build them to reduce the weight in the Lq BUT also want them to look professional at the same time.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-01-21 11:33 AM (#35789 - in reply to #35785)
Subject: RE: Let's talk about cabinets and installation

Veteran

I built my cabinets myself to reduce the weight.  The cabinet doors were purchased off of the internet.  Again I went with the flat panel to reduce the weight.  http://stores.ebay.com/DOORSANDPULLS_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm  The cabinets were just a framework with the back being the wall surface, again to reduce the weight.  I did use 3/4 inch solid oak face boards and the sides were 1/2 (Approx) 7 layer plywood from Home Depot.  Check out the pictures.  http://home.earthlink.net/~dheismann/.  If you have any questions let me know.

Turfa

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-21 2:51 PM (#35791 - in reply to #35789)

Veteran

Depending on your budget, one option is to have a custom cabinet maker make them up for you. Here in southern Ohio, there are a few Amish and they make really nice cabinetry out of any wood you like. They can custom make them to fit what you have. I've seen a couple of self done lq's here in our area and they look great.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-21 3:57 PM (#35792 - in reply to #35785)

Expert

I started off using the unfinished oak cabinets from home depot and then cut the backs down as needed, The last couple of trailers I have done I built a few of the cabinets myself, because I bought a shaper($800.00 used) so I could build the doors. I have found that all home depot's don't have the unfinished cabinets in stock, I have 3 stores in driving distance and only 1 of them stock the cabinets(of course the one that is furthest away.)
GMMRWM
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-22 6:52 PM (#35831 - in reply to #35785)

Turfa... Your cabinets are beautiful. Even though hubby and I are able to work w/ our hands, I am afraid that ours would come out looking home made. Do you mind enlightening me on the process you used to build the frame work???

MartyG - I have thought about going the 'custom' route. I have a few options that I'm looking at. First, the Amish. They do do awesome work. Then I have emailed a custom wood worker that's local too to see if they would be interested and give me a quote. The other option is my next door neighbor who does cabinetry but who we don't always see eye to eye with. Great ideas though!

Hwbar... How did the premade cabinets do as far as weight? What areas of the trailer are you using them in? Kitchen, Gooseneck???? Do you have any photos of the installation of finished product? We need them for the kitchen area and to line the wall of the gooseneck/sleeping area.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-22 7:28 PM (#35833 - in reply to #35785)

Expert

I don't weigh them I'd say they are a little heavier than the plastic ones in a store bought trailer. See picture for a trailer with them in it.
GMMRWM
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-22 7:51 PM (#35834 - in reply to #35785)

OOO la la!  I like them. The trailer turned out beautiful.

I hope you don't mind me asking more silly questions. If you installed a furnace, h2o heater, pump, etc... Did you cut out the bottom of the cabinets or mount it all on bottom of the cabinet?

Silly question #2. What did you use for the ceiling and walls??

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-22 7:58 PM (#35835 - in reply to #35785)

Expert

I cut the backs/bottoms out as needed then box back around to cover the appliances. The walls are 1/2 MDO(signboard) with blue styrofoam for insulation, then spackle the joints and wall paper like a house. The ceiling is framed down straight, then covered with Luan and cover that with RV headliner available at any Trim Shop, I use 3M spray adhesive to hold it up.
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-01-22 9:22 PM (#35837 - in reply to #35833)

Veteran

GMMRM I ripped the 3/4 inch oak in to two inch wide pieces in most area's.  I had to adjust some places to fill the needed space.  I attached the pieces together using a system from Kreg Tool Company and glued with Gorilla glue.  The Kreg system allows you to drill pockets and attach the piece's together quickly.  Pretty neet.  I did clamp some joints when the saw cut was a little off, and I had to sand down some uneven surfaces.  I used my kitchen cabinets as a ref.  As I said earlier, I bought the doors from the cabinet door company @ $7.00 Ea. and because I figured that they were seconds, I ordered a few extras so I could select the best, and one of the largest dors they had so I had some common material to work with if needed.(Not)
GMMRWM
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-23 8:44 PM (#35892 - in reply to #35785)

Thank you for all for your help and pictures!  We have been truley baffled here and you guys have helped out tremedously! 
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-01-24 6:46 PM (#35951 - in reply to #35892)

Extreme Veteran

Guess I'm the oddball here. I built mine in and made my own cabinet doors. Turfa's and my trailer are identical so you can see what the difference would look like. I think he did a fabulous job and I wish I had those skills and probably his tools...LOL

Here's my website: http://todd.redwrench/com

GMMRWM
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-25 10:20 PM (#35993 - in reply to #35785)

Hi Todd,

Your cabinets turned out as well. Gorgeous!  Thanks for the photos, I'm a seeing and doing type of learner so it makes it that much easier for me!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)