'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help! DIY horse area

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-17 8:43 PM
3 replies, 2631 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sundance's girl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 5:43 PM (#35623)
Subject: Help! DIY horse area

I recently bought a stock GN trailer  with homemade LQ.  We are making small changes in the LQ area but I would like to have a walk-thru door.  Here's the dilema;  the water heater and holding tank will need to stay in the horse area (before, all that, propane, and battery were there).  Trying to decide what side the box containg these and hopefully a saddle rack should go on (this will probably go all way to ceiling of trailer).  Currently they are on the drivers side and only about 3' high so the horse's head can go over it if necessary, but the box runs full width of front wall. There is a 2 foot shower on that wall inside, limiting the width somewhat of the walk-thru. The horse area is 9'X6'3.5".  I noticed that it seems all slant trailers have the horse facing the drivers side. 

Here's the questions:

1. Whys is it that the horses face the drivers side?

2.  Do they HAVE to face that direction?

3. Does this make any sense to anyone the way I'm describing this?!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-17 6:52 PM (#35628 - in reply to #35623)
Subject: RE: Help! DIY horse area

Expert

I don't know why they always face the drivers but I know of one trailer that was bulit to order with the horses facing the curb. Horses in this case loaded up and managed well. I suppose there might be a reason just can't think of one. good Luck on your project
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-17 8:10 PM (#35631 - in reply to #35623)

Extreme Veteran

I think it has something to do with us always handling our horse's on the left side(as far as why horse's face the driver's or road side in a trailer). Loading a horse in a  slant(or facing the curb side in a slant) would be very unappealing to many people and awkward. But to answer one of your questions, no, there is no written rule that says a horse has to travel in a trailer facing the driver's side. As Farmbabe mentioned about the  slant trailer she has seen, I have seen this trailer too and I think it had something to do with the horse's safety. I think they were worried about their horses facing oncoming traffic, but I also think they believed their horse's traveled more comfortably facing the other way. Just a matter of personal preference once again!

Good luck with your project!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 8:43 PM (#35634 - in reply to #35623)

Expert

Also most roads have a crown. When you park along the curb, ( or drive for that matter) the curb side is lower than the crown of the road. Most livestock like to have the front quarters higher than their rear. This helps them to breath, the weight of the gut is not pushing on the diaphram. By having the horses face Roadside vs curbside, you give them that slight difference in elevation.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)