'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Endema problem

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-16 9:20 AM
14 replies, 4656 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 7:41 AM (#35296)
Subject: Endema problem

Regular

Remember my horse who jumped the 4 ft. field fence? Well that scrape that she got on her chest if now swollen. There doesnt appear to be any soreness and there are no punctures, etc. I'm afraid she might have chipped a bone but there seems to be no indication of that either. The scrape however is edemic. I've been treating it with cold, cold water flushes, then baby oil gel mixed with epsom salt. I was out of vaseline.  

At any rate, today I put on the vaseline and epsom salts but it's still swollen. Any suggestions?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-11 7:47 AM (#35298 - in reply to #35296)
Subject: RE: Endema problem

Expert

Make sure that there is no infection brewing in there first.  If it is just edema, you need to sweat it out.  Epsom salts will not do it.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 8:31 AM (#35304 - in reply to #35298)

Regular

I cant see any signs of infection. It's a scrape. No soreness, no puss, nothing that even looks close. I flushed it with anti-biotics and peroxide in the begining just to make sure. Is there some other test that I;m missing?

Also, when you say sweat it out do you mean wait it out or literally, put her in a sauna! Only kidding. I mean, apply heat.

PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 9:19 AM (#35312 - in reply to #35296)

Regular

"I cant see any signs of infection. It's a scrape." She could still have gotten bacteria inside before the skin healed closed and may have an infection brewing. Her rectal temperature (according to my DVM manual) should be 99.5 to 100.5 degrees. If the soft tissue damage is just that and there's no infection, it will take forever for it to disappear. Someone had mentioned "sweating it out". I've never had to do that, maybe that poster can come back in and explain the process? I would like to know in case I ever do have to to that:)
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 9:35 AM (#35314 - in reply to #35296)

Regular

would ichthammol not work in this situation?

• Ichthammol is sometimes called "black drawing salve" for its believed ability to "draw out" infections
  • http://www.kyhorse.com/store/health/wound/ichthammol.htm
  • I have a gelding that was brought to me with a similar problem. After a couple of days of soaking it with epsoms and treating it with assorted ointments, the infection was still there. The old man who owned the barn hobbled out one day and put the ichthammol right on the wound - the next day the infection had been pulled out - the wound healed in about 5 days after that. - It might be worth considering

Good Luck!!!

terri s
    Reg. Sep 2005
    Posted 2006-01-11 10:17 AM (#35317 - in reply to #35296)

Elite Veteran

I wasn't the poster who had suggested sweating, but my vet has had me use DMSO on edema for just that reason. Worked well for me. Just needed to do it for a few days until fluid went down. Good luck.
    hconley
    Reg. Feb 2005
    Posted 2006-01-11 6:13 PM (#35346 - in reply to #35296)

Extreme Veteran

If it is not deep enough for stitches and swollen, just run cold water on it for a while(15-30 mintues) for the swelling, let it dry and cover it with furazone dressing, scarlet oil, or some other topical.

Edited by hconley 2006-01-11 6:20 PM
    Anne0135
    Reg. Nov 2005
    Posted 2006-01-11 7:04 PM (#35349 - in reply to #35346)

Regular

Thank you all for your input/advice. If you have any other ideas please feel free to post them. hconley, that's what I've been doing with the cold water and today I switched over to cut & heal (similar to scarlet oil, etc. right? I've never used the products you mentioned but I'm a slave to Cut&heal.)

As far as the DSMO, good suggestion but I'm a little shy of that stuff. I dont know why. I probably should take her to the vet for an x-ray. This horse is amazing but just when we really start going on her training she manages to get herself into some mess. Smart horse but still young and very impulsive. It would kill me if anything happened to her. She has so much potential. I'm thinking maybe better safe than sorry? I dont want to pay the $$$$$$$$$$$$ but I'd never forgive myself if something is going on in there with a bone or something and I've missed it. There has to be some reason for the swelling and I feel I should have seen some improvement by now since I seem to be doing the right things. Yes? No?  (Sorry to go on and on but I'm sort of thinking out loud after processing all your good advice.)

I adore this horse but she is going to be the death of me. Only kidding. (I hope.)

terri s
    Reg. Sep 2005
    Posted 2006-01-11 8:18 PM (#35356 - in reply to #35296)

Elite Veteran

I've usually only regretted the calls to the vet that I did NOT make. Good luck.

(DMSO side effects are usually limited to a taste of garlic in your mouth, but I like garlic! If you wear gloves you will limit your exposure and it takes the smallest amount.)

hconley
    Reg. Feb 2005
    Posted 2006-01-11 11:24 PM (#35363 - in reply to #35296)

Extreme Veteran

Are you sure it's not a hematoma ?
    Anne0135
    Reg. Nov 2005
    Posted 2006-01-12 7:16 AM (#35367 - in reply to #35363)

Regular

terri, no truer words.

hconley, I cant be sure it's not anything that I can't see without an ex-ray or recognize through experience. I see no signs of blood under the skin. There is no pocket that  I can feel or see that looks like it could be holding blood. What should I be looking for?

hav2ride
    Reg. Oct 2003
    Posted 2006-01-12 7:58 AM (#35370 - in reply to #35349)

Expert

How much heat is in the swelling?  Is it just warm or is it hot and very tender?  I'm betting it's just swelling from excess fluid.  A sweat is usually made from DMSO and Furacin.  Your vet can make this combo for you.  Anytime you use DMSO, you should wear latex gloves.  THe swelling is probably just fluid that needs to go down.  It will do this on it's own or you can help it out with the sweat.  Since you said this wasn't very deep, I doubt that it's a hematoma, a collection of blood under the skin.  Hematomas are nothing to worry about either.  They will go away with time too or you can use hot compresses to get rid of them.  Cut Heal is is great stuff for minor cuts and abrasions.  Once the cut is healed over though, it doesn't do much.  If there is no sign of real soreness, I doubt you need the vet for x-rays, especially since you said it was in the chest.   
    Anne0135
    Reg. Nov 2005
    Posted 2006-01-12 11:20 AM (#35377 - in reply to #35370)

Regular

thanks have2ride (and all of you.) There is no heat, no soreness, not even tender! None of the things you'd expect to see if there was infection, a blood pocket or even a  chipped bone. It's a bad scrape but THANK GOD it just scraped off the hair. I cant even truthfully say it scraped off more than a layer of skin, if even that. Just swelling which I imagine is to be expected. I've treated much worse wounds  but I can always see down into it. I guess I just expected the swelling to go down sooner. I want it to go down sooner, obviously.

It does seem to be doing a bit better today. Spent all morning with a colicing 11 month pregnant mare. Comparatively, this wound seems to be getting better. All I've wanted to see is progress and I think (pray) I'm starting to see it.

I think the cut and heal is working better than the epson salt salve. C&H is amazing. I'll just keep alternating and see which does better. I'll keep rinsing it with cold water and thanking you all for your good advice. (I dont think this is a job for DSMO but I know all about the garlic and the gloves. ;) I will give the DSMO due consideration though, nothing is off the table.) Thanks again, all. If I need to I'll link to a picture. Lets hope it doesnt get that far.

Anne

rose
    Reg. Feb 2004
    Posted 2006-01-13 8:05 PM (#35450 - in reply to #35296)

Anne: As a vet once told me, there is one in every barn (accident prone) and its usually a really good and favorite horse. My Rose is the one in our barn. Hope your precious is better. Good luck!
    Anne0135
    Reg. Nov 2005
    Posted 2006-01-16 9:20 AM (#35521 - in reply to #35450)

Regular

Rose, thank you. No truer words. ;) The precious one is doing better. Why is it always the ones that you really connect with?? Very kind of you to ask.

Anne

Jump to page : 1
    Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
    Jump to forum :
    Search this forum
    Printer friendly version
    E-mail a link to this thread
    Message format

'
    Registered to: Horse Trailer World
    (Delete all cookies set by this site)