'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
geilding

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-01 7:27 AM
27 replies, 7033 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-31 6:22 PM (#36329 - in reply to #36320)
Subject: RE: geilding

Expert

Longeing a horse is not used to discipline.  It is to get them tired.  A tired horse has less energy to argue (or buck) and is more ready to learn.  Proper longeing (not just troting a circle but real hard work)is a training tool that will only get them overly fit if it is used incorrectly.  I don't feel that longeing builds trust, riding the horse thru different situations builds the trust.  By the way, I don't do those clinics either.  They can serve a purpose but, you are right, most of the time they are marketing tools.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-31 10:07 PM (#36353 - in reply to #36288)

Expert

Obviously you have never been around a horse that just had a real bad alpha attitude

I agree with hay2ride on this.  I have a 4 yr old mare that has been shown since she was a weenling and is very.... prissy.  If she doesn't get her way she throws a right little temper tantrum.  If she wants attention and you are loving on someone else she will drive them away.  She doesn't like to be crowded and will kick at any horse that gets near her, even under saddle.  She isn't afraid of them, she is the alpha mare and is just keeping her place.  When she is tired of being handled she tries to push you away and gets pissy. 

I know the woman who owned this mare and none of her horses are mistreated, abused or frightened.  Just spoiled, pampered show horses.   And I'm not saying that ALL show horses are spoiled, but these sure are.

I have come to believe that horses are like children.  Sometimes there is a unknown reason for bad behavior (fear,pain or whatever), sometimes they don't feel good and sometimes they are just acting spoiled and don't want to do what you want.  They have a mind and if they decide they don't want to go "that" way, there gonna let you know it.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-01 7:27 AM (#36363 - in reply to #36353)

Expert

"I have come to believe that horses are like children.  Sometimes there is a unknown reason for bad behavior (fear,pain or whatever), sometimes they don't feel good and sometimes they are just acting spoiled and don't want to do what you want.  They have a mind and if they decide they don't want to go "that" way, there gonna let you know it."

Yep, all horses, except the most lowly on the totum pole, will test you from time to time.  In order to earn their trust, you must ALWAYS be the alpha.  It's funny but herd animals follow and trust the biggest bully.  Kind of reminds me of kids on a school yard.  The bully is usually in control, is seldom nice to anyone, and will pick on anyone who doesn't conform to his ways.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)