'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
geilding

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-01 7:27 AM
27 replies, 7052 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

teresa1968
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-10 1:03 PM (#35247)
Subject: geilding

i have a 9 yr old geilding,no matter how often he is rode he still bucks.it is really starting to get old!any ideas to make him STOP!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-10 3:03 PM (#35257 - in reply to #35247)
Subject: RE: geilding

Regular

1.  There is a reason for the bucking.

1.1  While it is probably a learned trait by now, noneltheless, there initially was a legitimate reason for the bucking.

2.  Could be a saddle that used to fit, doesn't fit anymore, and is pinching him.  Look at the sweat mark patterns on your saddle blanket.  If he is a wide horse and the gullet is narrow, it is pinching the whithers --- always a big ouchee for the horse.

2.1  Could be there are nails or tacks coming thru the sheepskin underneath, or if it's an english saddle, could still be something poking and prodding him.

2.2 Could be the cinch is pinching him.

3.  Worse yet could be the poor horse's skeleton is out of alignment and bucking is his way of trying to get you off his back and get him away from pain.

I'm sure there are a few more issues that I'm not thinking of at the moment, hopefully someone else will post them.

Once all of the reasons WHY have been positively eliminated, the horse will most likely have to be re-schooled not to buck anymore.  To reiterate, the bucking is now a learned habit and will have to be un-learned:)

As a general rule, anytime a horse mis-behaves, they are trying to tell us something------it is up to us to figure out what that something is

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-12 12:12 PM (#35381 - in reply to #35247)

Expert

Sounds like he's what cowboy types call a cold backed horse.  I had one once back when I trained and I sold her for a broodmare, not to be ridden.

She never got over her saddle issues and she was 8.  With her breeding I sold her cheap and never looked back.

Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-29 9:03 AM (#36153 - in reply to #35247)

Veteran

I have to agree with Pawalker.....most likely something is causing him pain or irritation.  Perhaps trying a new saddle pad and a different saddle for one ride might give you some indication of what is bothering him.  I had to go through this with my 8 yr old mare too, turns out the girth I was using was irritating her and she was trying to tell me that it hurt!  I changed from a neoprin girth to a nice wooly one (same size) and she never complained again. 

Also you might try lunging him first for 5 min to get the "kinks" out.  Is your horse generally good natured on the ground when you handle him?

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-29 10:30 AM (#36156 - in reply to #35247)

Extreme Veteran

I had a friend with the same problem with her horse.  We'd be riding and out of the blue he'd start bucking.

I borrowed her one of my saddles and he didn't do it then.  She had someone help her fit a saddle to her horse and has since bought a new saddle extra wide.  He hasn't bucked since.

I had my horse once the longer I rode the worse his acted.  He started stomping his feet, shaking his head & whole body just having a fit.  I finally got off and took his saddle off and he immediately started biting his saddle pad.  He sure let me know he wasn't comfortable with something with his tack.  It was the saddle and pad I always used on him and I didn't find anything wrong. I finally figured out he had a skin irritation because his back  really itched in one place.  I was an hour out and the hour back wasn't very fun. He's only acted like that the one time and ended up with flaky skin in that spot that went away.  It wasn't something I could see at the time just feeling around on his back he let me know where the problem was.

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-29 12:24 PM (#36163 - in reply to #35247)

Extreme Veteran

I agree, there must be something wrong that is causing him physical pain.  It definitely doesn't sound like he is "coldbacked" or a rogue horse.  A cold backed horse is an old cowboy term, that now has been shown to mean these horses weren't given sufficient training time, and never established trust issues, they were worked hard from dawn to dusk, and soon realized by bucking they could most of the time get rid of the cause of pain to them.  I would first have a vet examine him for back or even kidney issues.  Next have a chiropractor work on him.  Then I would check your tack (once you are assured it was nothing physically wrong with the horse).  I always stretch my horses front legs once they are tightly cinched.  This pulls the skin forward so it isn't being pinched under the cinch. I then go back and check the cinch again, and repeat the strtching forward of the legs.  I have never had a horse cinch sore.  I hope you figure what is going on with your gelding.  Horses don't act, they react.

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-29 1:55 PM (#36169 - in reply to #35247)

Veteran

Another thing to ck:  his teeth, by an equine DENTIST.  Case in point:  some friends paid big bucks for a USTR horse.  Everytime they'd go to roping, he'd break in two.  Had the vet ck him - INCLUDING his teeth/mouth...could find nothing.  Had a DENTIST ck him & low & behold, he had a fractured tooth.  Dentist removed it, horse has been a charm ever since.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-30 7:43 AM (#36199 - in reply to #35247)

Expert

While it could be an issue with pain, it may also be his way of saying "screw you!".  If you check out the pain issue and find nothing, try longeing him hard for a good 1/2 hour or hour (whatever it takes!) and see if he still wants to buck.  If he does, put him immediately back on the longe and longe his butt off.  Then get back on and try again.  He should soon get the idea that bucking means hard work.

Edited by hav2ride 2006-01-30 7:44 AM
Dustydew
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-30 8:12 AM (#36201 - in reply to #35247)

I had a wonderful mare who started doing this very same thing after I had her for 2 years. She would crow-hop and buck for the first 1/2 of a trail ride, then settle down and be fine. A friend suggested an equine chiropractor look at her, and in 5 minutes he discovered the problem. Her hip was out of place and the weight of me getting on her just set her off, then she just dealt with the pain the rest of the ride. He worked on her twice and I never had another problem. (She is 23 this year and still going strong!). I truly believe in chiropractic for horses.

Dusty

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-30 3:27 PM (#36235 - in reply to #35247)

Extreme Veteran

I don't agree with the longeing for respect issue.  All you are going to do is build up more resentment and a more physically fit animal, that will buck harder next time.  When a horse bucks it is to rid itself of something it fears or something that is hurting it.  Horses are flight animals they don't "reason" like we will.  They learn by repetition.  So all you are going to do is tire him out at first, but unless you figure out the "why" of his bucking you aren't going to make progress.  What is he fearing or what is hurting him?  
teresa1968
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-30 3:37 PM (#36237 - in reply to #35247)

i have been rideing him witha different pad,he has improved greatly,he as only bucked one time since i switched the pad on him,hooray!!!!thank you for all of the advise it has been usefull
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-30 3:53 PM (#36240 - in reply to #35247)

Expert

Thanks for thinking cold backed horses don't exist, never say never because you haven't seen them all...(here's the story)

The little mare in my post was taught to buck by her dumb teenage owner.  So when you tightened the girth she would set back flip over and buck while running out the barn.  I had her for two weeks and told the owners I wasn't going to hurt myself just to "fix his problem" he agreed and she hit the sale barn after some "show prep" grooming.

He doubled his money.

Point being sell the horse.

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-30 5:11 PM (#36247 - in reply to #35247)

Extreme Veteran

That horse wasn't "coldbacked" it was taught a fear of being ridden.  Just as a dog that gets beaten all the time will eventually turn on the beater.  Animals don't reason as we do, they react to how they are treated.  Granted there are a minute few rogue animals out there, but the percentage is less than 1%.  I don't believe the original poster's horse is one that is bucking out of fear.  To me it sounded alot like pain or ill fitting equipment. 
teresa1968
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-30 8:06 PM (#36262 - in reply to #35247)

yes,mrstacticalmedic was right it was the eqiupment,as i said earlier i switched saddle pads,i now ride him in a neoprine air pad.he no longer bucks,well other than when i first put it on him and saddled him up and got on him.then it was like he woke up and relized something was different,and that has been it.just the one time.anyway i thank all of you guys for all of the great advise and storys,they were all preatty good ideas.thanks again,teresa1968.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-31 9:29 AM (#36287 - in reply to #36240)

Expert

Huntseat, I agree with you!  I had a cold backed horse too.  He was great to ride but getting that sadlle cinched was a chore.  I would have him tied in his stall and take 20 min. to slowly tighten the girth.  If I cinched up to quickly, he would explode.  Unfortunately, the people that sold him to me, never informed me of his problem. 

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-31 9:34 AM (#36288 - in reply to #36235)

Expert

Obviously you have never been around a horse that just had a real bad alpha attitude.  They do exist.  Pain nor fear is the issue behind their tantrums.  Lack of respect is.  If  you reread my first post, I said that if the pain issue doesn't check out, the horse could just be saying "No!".  If a horse is like that, you must gain respect. Hard longeing is a great way to win without inflicting pain or fear and unless you longe them for 2 hours every day, you won't get them overly fit.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-31 10:31 AM (#36292 - in reply to #35247)

Extreme Veteran

So you are saying those "cold backed" horses just went Poof! I am going to be a bucker?  I don't think so.  Call them what you want.  They have learned this behavior as way of trying to express their displeasure about something.  Animals don't "act" they always react.  somewhere along the line someone failed them, that is all I can say.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-31 10:57 AM (#36295 - in reply to #36292)

Expert

"So you are saying those "cold backed" horses just went Poof! I am going to be a bucker?" 

No buckers happen for a variety of reasons.  Sometimes it's because the person who broke them were clueless and either didn't correct them for "attitude bucking", the "I don't want to!" kind.  Sometimes it is caused because of pain or misunderstanding issues.  THe job of the trainer is to evalutate the situation and correct it.  It sounds to me like you have been reading or going to "horse whisperer" clinicians.  One can learn some decent things from these guys, but they do not cover all aspects of training.  I have been training with trainers for 28 years and have seen all kinds of horses.  Most are the reactive kind but some are the "screw you" kind.  No matter which type you are dealing with, the first thing you must do is become the alpha.  That isn't too difficult with most horses but it can be a constant struggle with the dominant type of horse that always will challenge authority.  Horse like that can be great horses but not in the hands of the average owner.  They need to go "down the road".

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-31 12:50 PM (#36300 - in reply to #35247)

Extreme Veteran

I don't attend clinics, all they are is a marketing ploy.  Second of all, it is common sense.  You replied saying everything I have been saying all along.  The horses learn it.  I also wrote up several posts, there are a minute few who are born rogue horses.  Less than 1%.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if a horse is in pain, confused, or afraid they will react a certain way.  You can tell if another person is upset by the way they act don't you?  Animals are no different.  They use body language to express something is troubling them.  Watch a herd of horses, cattle, sheep, deer, etc.  Any animal that is a flight animal gives signals prior to their reaction.  It has nothing to do with going to a clinic and listen to someone talk about something that has been common sense since horses were first captured and ridden. 

If a horse bucks there is a reason behind.  Granted, there are a few who will give a short crowhop if they are feeling frisky, but a horse that bucks hard, is giving a reaction to something that is distressing them. 

So if you want to label a troubled horse "cold backed" go right ahead.  99.9% of horses are born cold backed.  Look up the term "cold backed", that was a cowboy slang term from my Grandfathers era.  Although, my Grandfather didn't ride in a saddle.  That is a different discussion.  Maybe because I do have Native American roots I tend to view animals in a different way.  I was brought up to respect ALL animals, and treat them with kindness.  I do work with other peoples horses who are "troubled".  Only have I had to turn away a horse a couple times.  Because the horse was definitely too far gone.  It is about trust, making the horse feel good, positive reinforcement, and physical well being.  A horse will tell you if it is in distress, it our duty to them to recognize when common sense is needing to be utilized. 

For those who do go to clinics, more power to you.  You have to get a foot in the door somehow, but if you don't have common sense, then no matter who you train under, go see at a clinic, read from a book you won't get far with horses.  You can tell the ones who don't, they are the ones who have a high turn over in horses, generally they pass on to others horses that started out good, but got ruined by them due to lack of common sense.

I am glad the original poster discovered it was equipement issues causing her horse discomfort.  That is a huge indicator that the poster has good common sense!  Glad we could help.

teresa1968
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-31 1:15 PM (#36309 - in reply to #36300)

my geilding i have had all of his life he has allways been a great horse and i should have reconized his problem earlier,that was my fault,i have only ran across 1 horse that i couldnt do any thing with,and let me tell you he had major flight issues,you could saddle him and get on him with no problems.just never expect him to go in any other gear but fast!he would not walk or trot it was allways run.i finally decided maybe it was me,so i sent him to a rainer,after 2 weeks they called me and said they couldnt do any thing with him,i sold him back at the sale i got him from,i didnt get back the $ i paid for him,but live and learn.i decided i would just stick to the ones that we bred and raised our selves,that way i new what was going on with them from the time they were foaled on up to geting broke to ride and so on,i would'nt have any surprises other than tee,but as i said earlier i should have reconized his problem earlier,that was my fault not his,the majority of the problems i think do come from the rider in one form or another.it is up to the owner/rider to figure it out if they can,or get advise from an outside source or sell them before they get to far gone.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-31 1:46 PM (#36313 - in reply to #35247)

Expert

Hav, I agree!  Lots of the show horses I've come across have "poor work ethics" and must be taught to do it right or trot it off!  I had (getting qualified but I'd never own) an Impressive mare that was really fun.  You'd longe her and pray she wouldn't have a "fit."  The mare literally didn't kow how to canter/lope and would only trot so her only option was pleasure driving.  Wanna talk about a real wreck?  Try driving one of these "piss on you" horses and see how expensive those wrecks get!

I now will call cold-backed horses dog food if that will make you happier mrsmedic.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-31 3:19 PM (#36317 - in reply to #36309)

Expert

Teresa, in your original post you never stated that the bucking was a fairly new issue.  You said that you had a 9 year old that bucked everytime you rode him.  If you had stated that it was somethimg relatively new, the reasons for the behavior would have leaned towards pain or equipment problems.  I had a show horse that was fine when worked in my work saddle but got twitchy skinned in my show saddle.  I finally figured out that the felt underpad for my show pad itched him.  There were no more issues after that.  Bucking is an extreme reaction to a bad pad though.  I would be a bit careful for a while to make sure the problem is solved. 
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-31 3:29 PM (#36318 - in reply to #36300)

Expert

"So if you want to label a troubled horse "cold backed" go right ahead."

I never said the horse was cold backed.  I said that if she could not find a medical or training reason for the horse's bucking, then it could be a horse with a bad attitude.  I also believe that horse training is mostly common sense.  You don't have to have Native American ancestry to understand animal behavior either.  You just have to pay attention.  Longeing a horse is a non aggressive method to have a horse learn a lesson.  There is nothing wrong with it, especially for riders that are not experienced trainers.

teresa1968
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-31 3:31 PM (#36319 - in reply to #35247)

yes you are right i didnt mention that ,im pretty new to the computer stuff and writing on the computer,i should have put in more info i apoligize for the lack of information that  i wrote on my posting.i will remeber next time to be more informative with my problems

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-31 3:59 PM (#36320 - in reply to #35247)

Extreme Veteran

I do agree that "cold backed" horses should be labeled dog food.  If they are that bad then somewhere whether by breeding for a bad trait or the bad training by someone has permenantly soured that horse.    I guess we all agree, irregardless of terminology that a horse reacts to its training. 

I do believe in longeing, but not as a form of discipline, but as an excerise in trust and building them up physically.  By longeing the horse you aren't teaching them that bucking is bad, you are building them up physically and teach them that all they are going to do is go round and round in circles until eventually they become very strong.

I have yet to see longeing for respect actually work, but maybe because I don't go to clinics I haven't seen it in person. 

I guess we all get set in our ways as far as training.  At least we ALL agree on the common sense part!  I do appreciate a good debate, it just appears we debated eachother just over terminology vs good horsemanship ethics! 

In a round about way we all want the best for the horse and rider, and the ultimate goal is to be safe around and on our horses!  I think Teresa is awesome for coming to this group for some advice.  I applaud her for that!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)