'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Strangles....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-10 4:57 AM
8 replies, 3638 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 2:41 PM (#35123)
Subject: Strangles....

Regular

Ok well we can always look up on the net about this however I would prefer a veiwpoint from anyone who has dealt with this. Personally I have never had a horse with it. However I am currently looking at a horse who recovered from a mild case of it about a month ago. He didn't get to the point of bastard strangles but when I search the net I find the clinical versions of the stuff anf it varies believe it or not. I would prefer to find out from horse owners that have already dealt with or are currently dealing with it... what exactly should i worry about the most with this horse having had it about a month or so ago? I mean I expect the usual avoid the horse but i would love to know exact reasons why. Not setting this up so i can argue just really would love the info. I have posted on other sights and all i really get is "Don't buy it". Well i appreciate their advice however I would like to know the exact reasons why. I have had a vet check him and so far no ill effects from the stuff. Asked the vet for more info but he basicly confused me with the way he explained it. Well gotta get going you folks have a good one and thanks in advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 4:23 PM (#35128 - in reply to #35123)
Subject: RE: Strangles....

Extreme Veteran

Strangles can occur in any age horse, but most are 1-5 years of age ( foals under 4 months are protected with antibodies from thier mother's colostrum),transmitted thur direct contact of infected horses and/or equipment. During the recovery phase, an animal is still shedding, but long term shedding (more than 8 weeks) has happened only once in modern history. Morbidity rates are 30 - 100 %. Mortality rates are 9-10 %. The course of the disease takes about 1 month from first clinical sign to full recovery. Vaccines for strangles are about 50% effective.

Edited by hconley 2006-01-08 4:53 PM
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-01-08 6:00 PM (#35131 - in reply to #35123)

Extreme Veteran

My 7 year old gelding got strangles this last fall. I posted about it here. He was sick for several weeks, busted out, and it took about a total of 8 weeks before he was feeling normal again. He's suffered no ill effects and you really have to feel around under his chin to find the scares. My vet said that the puss can transmitt strangles, and it can even live in the ground and come back later. I was also told they can get it again, but it should not be as bad as the first time. My other two horses never came down with it even though they share the same barn & pasture. I would not be afraid of a horse that had strangles and recovered for it. I would avoid bring a horse home that was still pussing or was only over it for a few weeks, as not to expose other horses to it. If you like the horse, and he vet's o.k., go for it.

-Betty
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 6:12 PM (#35132 - in reply to #35123)

Regular

Yeah I like the fella a lot. He's already busted up and stuff, It's been a month or so since he got over it. He's a really sweet horse. I mean he's a two year old and I have some work ahead with training him but groundwise he has some nice manners and such. His price is pretty fair I wouldn't say cheap but fair enough. He has some decent bloodlines on top (not that i really care since I plan on having him gelded). I appreciate your posts.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-01-09 10:35 AM (#35170 - in reply to #35123)

Extreme Veteran

My father had this go through his barn when my mare was there - she was only about 8-10 months at tht time (she's a rescue so we only know approxiamte birth date) She was still recovering from stavation at the time,  so she took a long while to get ever it - I would say probably 4 months before she was back to the condition she was in before strangles and at least another 2 months before she was back to normal body condition - though her growth was delayed a little - but most likely as much from the starvation as being sick.

Today she is a great looking 3 year old  - rising four now. No adverse effects at all and she's even caught up on her growth.

There were 2 other horses in the barn at the time (he thankfully had 3 out at a friend's facility when this happened) One other rescue survived (she was the carrier) and is still doing well but Dad lost the healthiest one, a 10 month old colt, to bastard strangles. Bastard strangles is rare, but most often fatal.

There were a few cases in the area when this came through - all carried by very poor horses that had come through an auction from out west when the drought's were happening. All horses except my father's one colt pulled through just fine.

hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 7:34 PM (#35211 - in reply to #35123)

Extreme Veteran

The strangles bacteria is spend the fastest by flies, I know most people don't think about it, but after quarantine, battling the flies would be a good plan of attack.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 8:17 PM (#35216 - in reply to #35123)

Extreme Veteran

I had a horse vaccinated for strangles and after being home less than a week from a trainers, he came down with strangles. 

I had four horses on the property, one to foal any day.  All four horses got strangles some worse than others. All had some form of break out with oosing puss.  My mare had strangles during foaling time and the babe was fine and never showed signs of strangles. She was lucky and had the benefit of her mother's colostrum.  My worse case was my 25 year gelding and he never got better, the vet said it was time so we put him down. 

It took two to four weeks for it to run it's course on all of them.  I had the gelding put down around four-five weeks and shouldn't have let him go that long, I just keep hoping he'd get better. 

If you've had the vet check him and he gives the OK, I wouldn't hesitate to buy if you really like the horse.   I still have two of the horses from that time and it's almost been six years and neither has any ill effects from that time.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 8:19 PM (#35217 - in reply to #35123)

Extreme Veteran

I had a horse vaccinated for strangles and after being home less than a week from a trainers, he came down with strangles. 

I had four horses on the property, one to foal any day.  All four horses got strangles some worse than others. All had some form of break out with oosing puss.  My mare had strangles during foaling time and the babe was fine and never showed signs of strangles. She was lucky and had the benefit of her mother's colostrum.  My worse case was my 25 year gelding and he never got better, the vet said it was time so we put him down. 

It took two to four weeks for it to run it's course on all of them.  I had the gelding put down around four-five weeks and shouldn't have let him go that long, I just keep hoping he'd get better. 

If you've had the vet check him and he gives the OK, I wouldn't hesitate to buy if you really like the horse.   I still have two of the horses from that time and it's almost been six years and neither has any ill effects from that time.

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-01-10 4:57 AM (#35228 - in reply to #35123)

Regular

Thanks everyone. Man I love the forums here. Rarely ever any flames and I get honest perspectives i love it!! Too bad though I dallied around to long and he sold however the info will be helpful later. Hehe I'll just keep on the lookout for another horse that catches my fancy. I was too iffy and since the hubby was having spasms about the whole thing I told her if another buyer decided before i did to go ahead with the sale. SHe was more than willing to hold him but I didn't think it right to keep her dangling and all. Well I guess I'm gonna be surfing the net a bit. The papers in this area never seem to have any ads or at least not that I've seen. Hehe and the husband has me banned from any tack stores and the like till i get me another horse....ummm i tend to buy a lot of stuff I just do not need yet..lmao go figure..    soo my searches are net reserved...lmao

Edited by lively 2006-01-10 4:59 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)