'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
colic

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-17 3:29 PM
42 replies, 9660 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-10 12:50 PM (#35246 - in reply to #35103)
Subject: RE: colic

Expert

Sorry its GRO STRONG Minerals.On my horses I feed daily I put it in their feed  and on my pasture horses(about 20 or so) I use the windmill mineral feeders with it in them(50 lb bag)but here you go.Just look under products etc.   www.admani.com

Edited by hounddog 2006-01-10 12:52 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-11 6:35 AM (#35293 - in reply to #35103)

Regular

Thank you for your support and comments. They were greatly appreciated! In replying to some questions - Surgery - While my horses are my pride and joy, I will not spend $5-10K on surgery, especially with an older horse.

Barnsmanship - I have discussed this with my vet, who owns horses. We worked out a worming schedule a long time ago, and he has no other suggestions. I have heated Nelson Automatic waterers in the pasture and corral, buy top quality hay, regular feeding routine, etc., etc. It is always hard losing an equine companion.

Thanks again!

Brenda

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-13 3:33 AM (#35413 - in reply to #35103)

Expert

Most of the time I don't worm at certain times.I put poop in a baggy and get it checked first.Fixing to buy my own microscrope(need one for shipping semen anyhow) and start doing it myself.I have some horses been worm free over a year with no drugs.If only owning a few horses its a good deal.Vet charges me $3 bucks each to check.This has saved me a lot of money and the unnessary use of harsh wormers.

Edited by hounddog 2006-01-13 3:36 AM
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 9:32 AM (#35524 - in reply to #35413)

Regular

houndog, $3.00 for a worm sample? Wow! I pay $20.00 What are you using this time of  year. I'm in GA also. I just took my horse off the Strongid Cx2 daily w/ Ivermectrin 2x per year for bots, so now I'm on rotation. What do you recommend giving in mid-January? The rotation guide recommends Panacur Power pac or Safeguard power dose. Mega $$, too harsh for my comfort level (5 days in a row of double doses!) and they just came up clean after an intractable strongyle problem that I treated with Quest Plus. This was about 2 months ago.

Any suggestions?

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-16 12:17 PM (#35536 - in reply to #35413)

Expert

Not all worms will show up in a fecal test.  My mare was having trouble gaining weight and the fecal test were neg.  So my vet drew blood and she was full of tapeworms. 
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 12:34 PM (#35537 - in reply to #35536)

Regular

Not all worms will show up in a fecal test.  My mare was having trouble gaining weight and the fecal test were neg.  So my vet drew blood and she was full of tapeworms. 
Yikes. Which wormer did you end up using?

I know that not all do show up that's why the Panacur Pac is recommended once a year, that supposedly gets everthing. I dont like the idea of double dosing my horses for 5 days (or the cost) but one of my mares has a colic problem and try my best to be diligent about worming. I'm just new to the south, everyone has a different opinion down here and I'm not sure which way to go!

By the way, it's worth noting that they show no symptoms other than this colic thing  in one horse which I am just praying we  have gotten under control since discovering she has a resistance to Strongid. There was never any weight loss, dull coat, nothing that would make me think they had a problem or have one now. That's what makes it so exasperating but  I'm determined to get this thing  totally under control. I just really dont want to pay for both another fecal test ($40.00) as well as the Panacur Packs $60.00 each. But the little darlings are worth it of course . It would just be nice to be sure. ;) I mean I may only need to give them a shot of Equimax and be done with it for a while. I could do the PowerPacs when I can better afford it.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 1:04 PM (#35539 - in reply to #35103)

Expert

ONCE a YEAR I use ivemec with the tape worm remover.Been told by NUMEROUS vets any more is a waste.That tapes are EASILY killed removed.The panacur power pack is for HEAVY strongles investation .I have 30 head or so.I NEVER rotate to Strongid or Panacur.I mainly use Ivermic 1.87%and rotate with Quest.I use Quest twice a year or so. I use NAME brand ivermectin wormers.The OTHERS the powered drugs are bought and they mix it and label and sell it.Its been discussed that the MIX may not ALWAYS be correct.BUY a microscope on the web or at a

pawn shop etc.and do your your own fecals.Its NOT rocket science.But yes I pay $3.00 for fecals and Im trying to save from spending THAT(It adds up with 30!)haven't used the POWER PACK in over a decade but WOULD if it showed VERY HIGH levels of strongyles egg count instead of Quest.But SO far haven't needed to.

Edited by hounddog 2006-01-16 1:05 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-16 1:59 PM (#35542 - in reply to #35537)

Expert

I'm not sure what my vet treated her with in office, but he told me to worm for tape worms every 6 months in this area.  Most of the people I have talked to around here don't worm unless there is a problem.    I have been rotating between Zimecterin Gold and EquiMax.   This mare has GI problems from years of being wormy and malnurished and any worm load causes her to stop eating.  She gets wormed every 6 weeks.  Any longer and she goes off her feed.  The rest get wormed quarterly, with the twice a year for tapeworms. 

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 3:42 PM (#35547 - in reply to #35539)

Regular

hounddog, I just used the Quest Plus when I got back a moderate load of strongyles. It really did the job. After that I got back a totally clean sample. No wormes. Vet checked twice. I gave them a shot of Equimax (ivermectin 1.87%) since it was time for the fall worming. It's now mid-January and they say to worm for bots. What would be good for stongyles and bots?  Or what would you recommend? I really like Quest but there is so much controversy around it, especially down here (I'm sure you've heard) that I'm not sure I want to take the risk.)

I hear what you're saying about the Panacur......dont use it unless you get back a really loaded sample. MUST I pay for a sample each time I go to worm or should I just give them a shot of X [fill in the blank]? I havent had great luck with just plain Ivermectrin as that's what I was using (Zimectrin Gold) when I got back a sample that was HIGH for strongyles. My (former) vet really failed to alert me to what that meant and what I should have done at that point, which should have been Panacur pac!

I can't tell whether I've coming or going down here with the worms. They recommend every 8 weeks! And it's always for something new. I dont know who to listen to. Even the vets have different opinions. What do you think  I should give them in January?

Thanks much for any advice.

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 3:54 PM (#35548 - in reply to #35542)

Regular

Terri, I know what you mean about having a horse with problems from worms. I'm pretty sure that;s what I have which I why I know so much about colic.  The equimax and Zimectrin Gold are good choices for tape (especially Equimax.) You probably could have used a Panacur Power pac after the tapeworm incident. (It's double dose per horse for 5 days in a row at $65.00/pack, thank you very much. Ugh. But it kills all, safely. I think the active ingredient is fenelzine or something like that.Very safe for the horses, unlike the minoxodil that's in Quest. I'm spelling the active ingredients totally wrong but I'm too lazy right now to look it up. lol. You'll know what I mean.)  Anyway, I've heard it's the magic bullet--- and I wish I had learned that a long time ago. But whatever your vet perscribed it sounds like it did the job.

So with your mare you are now rotating between ZG and Equimax. Maybe the next hit should be with Zimectrin for me. But  I feel more comfortable with the Equimx (it has more ivemectrin.) What  I am really doing here is let's face it trying to avoid paying yet another $40.00 for a fecal exam!!!! I shouldnt have to do this EVERY time! Should I?

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 4:13 PM (#35552 - in reply to #35539)

Regular

Hounddog, one more question. What are you raising up there with 30 horses? Do you specialize in any particular breed, discipline, etc? Do you sell, breed, train or just own?

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 6:15 PM (#35560 - in reply to #35103)

Expert

I put it in my sig. Breed and sell.I have always had Walkers and got into them a little deeper.Have two Tobiano Walker studs and 5 good broodmares as well as their offspring whom I sell as weanliongs to two year olds etc.Then I had a Uncle whom was involved in Qtrs from the 50s through late 80s.I got the last of his brood mares(Wimpy Chico x El Greco Tom)mainly out of a stud he had 29 years.Wimpy Chico.A line bred Old Sorrel stud from King Ranch.I've crossed them on Driftwood,Hancock,Hollywood dun it lines.Then I had a friend I met through AQHA(while getting these mares)that is a Nebraska cattle rancher(Sandhills)he gave us a colt on a trip to him with a hint it might be somebody one day(Red Rim Rock x Freckles Fancy)(Drift x Freckles) First foals(other proples mares,LOL)out of him last year.He's a blood bay roan now 15.2 with a "head" and BODY.Almost gelding user friendly.Has thrown 5 roans last year on gray,yellow,bay,sorrel with body,heads and easy going temperments.So I spend a lot of money,sell about 5 to 7 a year(so far)bred about 15 last two years(outside)and hope to maybe? ease out of the walkers(except our own trail horses)May try breeding a lot more outside mares by shipped seman etc.I have a buddy whom collects,freezes and we ultrasound our own etc.I bought one outside breeding last year to a old San Peppy stud for a 19 y.o.Wimpy mare.Did NOT catch(3 trys)I grew up BIG city(Atlanta)(Hippys x Vietnam war era)and the smell of a horse drove me nuts.One day had to have one.Got to fooling with them 25 years ago or so.Last 6 years a LOT more then fooling.I'm outside of Athens Ga.(UGA). I do NOT promote UGA vet clinic.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 6:23 PM (#35561 - in reply to #35103)

Expert

On the worn question I'd use Ivermectin again.(once a year the tapeworm dose)I don't use anything BUT it and Quest as a rule.The rotation thing is FOR the DRUG companys.Yes, I day the Ivermectin might have resistance but so far it dosen't.The other stuff is basicly fluff and does LITTLE but empty your wallet.I know of MAJOR breeding,training faciltys (with full time vets employed) thats all they use.My egg counts on the OTHER stuff never was nil.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-16 6:43 PM (#35564 - in reply to #35548)

Expert

My vet said one reason people who de-worm their horses and still have worms is that they under estimate their horses weight.  I took my horses to a friends feed lot and weighed them.  They all weighed several hunderd pounds more than I thought they did.  My now gelding stepped on me this summer and I told the dr he weighed about 800, nope 1150.  I had been under dosing him.  I don't have them checked every time I worm them.   I have them checked when ever we go in for something else.  Except for my old mare.  If she goes off her feed for more than 2 days she goes in.  She looses weight to fast.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 6:52 PM (#35565 - in reply to #35103)

Expert

I had truck failure in Knoxville Tn.Middle of the night.Anyhow the vet school took me and my horse in.My gelding was a 16.3 Twh.I got to weigh him for 3 days(fun and curious)on a digital scale.His weight fluctuated from a boarderline 1299/1300 to a low 1400.Just from water and poop!

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-17 6:35 AM (#35579 - in reply to #35560)

Elite Veteran

Howdy hounddog, sounds like we have a couple of things in common. I grew up in NC, did an all expense paid trip to Viet Nam, farm kid in the beginning but grew up in town and hated it.  Dad was a cop and had to live where the work was and being in town won out over being on the farm.  Summers on the farm with relatives and lots of horses and mules. Looking back on it, I wish I stayed with the horses and the farm, but didn't. I thought fast cars, fast women and the open road was the way to happiness. NOT! Found out later that a small farm, some horses and hard work was the way to be happy for me. Well, enough of that. Don't want to make anyone think I'm a Walton in disguise. Happy trails.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 6:51 AM (#35581 - in reply to #35103)

Expert

I STILL miss fast cars and FAST women! SIGH.Wish we had horse racing in this state.I could enjoy playing with fast Quarters or Pacers and maybe mature fast women LOL

Edited by hounddog 2006-01-17 7:13 AM
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-17 3:29 PM (#35618 - in reply to #35581)

Elite Veteran

Way too funny and way too true for both of us.  Happy trails.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)