'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saddle Pads

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-14 7:11 AM
14 replies, 7551 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-07 7:52 PM (#35090)
Subject: Saddle Pads

Veteran

I do a lot of trail riding, and would like to know what type of saddle pads everyone else likes to use and why.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-01-07 8:35 PM (#35092 - in reply to #35090)
Subject: RE: Saddle Pads

Elite Veteran

Not sure what style of saddle your using but we are riding in a Tucker Cheyenne and Tex Tan Golden West Trail. We do lots of trail riding all year long in the Mid-west and have been using Reinsman Tacky Too pads. These pads keep my horses back cool and dry very quickly after use. I fell for the promotion on the Professional Choice SMX pad and paid $129 bucks for it. Not impressed with it at all. It holds heat and takes very long for it to dry. Not good for week long trail rides where you need pads to dry quickly. For the money ($60) I would try the Reinsman Tacky Too Pad.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 1:30 PM (#35119 - in reply to #35090)

Expert

I don't show, So my concern is getting the heat and sweat out.

I have been using the Dixie Midnight pad as the 1st layer and throwing a good blanket over that.  The dixie midnight pads are 1/4" thick and kinda like a scotch brite dish scruber.  When I get done riding all the sweat is running down the side of the horse. My wool blankets is almost always dry. It has cut way down on having to wash or clean blankets/pads.  Just hose off the dixie pad and give it a good shake.

They only come in midnight blue color. but you can trim them with scissors to fit under your favorite blanket.

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-08 7:46 PM (#35138 - in reply to #35090)

Veteran

I have never heard of the Dixie Midnight pad.  Where did you buy it at? Is it sort of like the tacky tack pads?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 8:37 PM (#35141 - in reply to #35090)

Expert

It's kinda like a very thin spun mesh. Like the buffing material that janitors polish linoleum floors with

check them out at http://www.dixiemidnight.com/

They only sell online. I have never seen any other way buy them, Nor have I seen any "Look A Likes"

They are a very small, one man kind of company. Minimal advertising or marketing. But it's a good product.

I like it because I rarely every wash a blanket any more.  My wife used to hate me sneeking my blankets into her washing machine. My blankets hardly get any sweat on them at all. If they do it's just around the edge where my blanket was larger than the pad.  When the horses shed, some hair will work it's way there the pad and into the blanket. But with out the sweat, it's rpetty easy to vaccum or brush off.

Edited by Painted Horse 2006-01-08 8:46 PM
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 12:36 PM (#35181 - in reply to #35092)

Veteran

Originally written by ponytammy on 2006-01-07 3:35 AM

Not sure what style of saddle your using but we are riding in a Tucker Cheyenne and Tex Tan Golden West Trail. We do lots of trail riding all year long in the Mid-west and have been using Reinsman Tacky Too pads. These pads keep my horses back cool and dry very quickly after use. I fell for the promotion on the Professional Choice SMX pad and paid $129 bucks for it. Not impressed with it at all. It holds heat and takes very long for it to dry. Not good for week long trail rides where you need pads to dry quickly. For the money ($60) I would try the Reinsman Tacky Too Pad.

Same here. In my opinion, The SMX looks real good in the show ring but is hot on the trail. We use the Reinsman for trail riding.  I got a Clasic Equine pad for Christmas...looks like 1" neoprene with leather trim.  Have only used it a couple times, but seems OK. Cant go wrong with the Reinsman Tacky Too.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 8:05 PM (#35354 - in reply to #35090)

Extreme Veteran

My favorite pad is my 5 Star 3/4 " Wool Pad.  My next favorite is my Classic Equine 1" Wool Pad.  Both pads will cost you over $100.00 but are worth the price. 

I like the 3/4" thickness, it seems to fit the best under all three of my saddles.  My 1" pad I like to use on my smaller mare, it helps the saddle fit better on her. 

The 100% wool helps to wick away moisture and helps keep their backs cooler.  I use to use a pad that had a neoprene center with wool on the outside but felt the neoprene held the heat in.  The same with a neoprene girth which now I've switched to mohair. 

With the neoprene center I had a problem with it eventually wearing down on the inside.  I was having a problem with the saddle sitting straight on the back.  At first I thought I had a saddle broke with maybe a bad tree but finally figured out it was my pad after using another pad with that same saddle.

After using wool pads the last four years, I don't think I'll use anything else.

Luther T
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-12 7:05 AM (#35366 - in reply to #35090)

New User

Howdy, y'all!

I'm new here, but I gotta tell you for sure that Dixie Midnight vent pad thing is every bit as good as that other fella said.

I've had four of them (we train horses) for the last ten or so years.  My breezers and I can go from horse-to-horse-to-horse and never get even ONE saddle pad wet or even dirty.

I bought all four at the same time, and have used them every day for ten years, and there is no sign of any sort of wear on them.

We just unsaddle the one we've finished with, hose off the No-Sweat, shake it out, slap it and the same saddle pad up on the next one and GO!

Where we were using as many as 120 saddle pads a week, with the Dixie pads, we're down to using one saddle pad per rider, per YEAR!!

We also take our "trainees" out on the trail for as long as 6-8 hours at a time (once they're ready) and we always use the Dixie pads.  Not once have any of the horses come back with saddle pads that aren't even damp.  They're as clean and dry as if they were never used.

It isn't very often that you'll see me posting on any board, (I get sorta busy) but I certainly will take the time to let any and everyone know about a horse product that works better than its advertised.

Honestly -- go get one. It's the only tack product I've ever seen and used in over 30 years with horses that actually saved me money.

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-01-12 12:18 PM (#35382 - in reply to #35090)

Extreme Veteran

I've had a Supracor that has worked great for me. I've used it for about 4 years now without a problem. I ride 2 to 5 hours at a stretch. The one thing I wish is for it to hose off easier and dry more quickly. It sounds like the Dixie pad has that issue handled. I'm going to check those out next time I need a pad for sure!
Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-12 6:39 PM (#35400 - in reply to #35090)

Veteran

Does the Dixie Midnight pad help prevent saddle slippage like the tacky pads do?
Luther T
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-12 8:25 PM (#35405 - in reply to #35400)

New User

Originally written by Z71 on 2006-01-12 7:39 PM

Does the Dixie Midnight pad help prevent saddle slippage like the tacky pads do?

Our saddles don't slip, so I couldn't be the one to tell you if the Dixie's slip or not.

I can say that a properly fitted saddle on a reasonably well-conformed horse won't slip anyway.

My own thought on the tacky pads is that the pressure from the rider and saddle cause too much "grip" from the tacky-stuff on the horse's hide. 

I think that must be sometimes very painful for the horse to have his skin stretched first one way and then the other by something sticky on his back while he's being ridden.

In the case of round-backed or mutton-withered horses, I have never seen a saddle/padding combination which worked for anything other than rides lasting under an hour.  It's a real problem for some riders, and I wish I knew the answer to it.

At the risk making somebody angry at me, I would suggest that education in conformation would be very helpful when pciking out a horse to buy.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-13 6:20 PM (#35448 - in reply to #35090)

Expert

The Dixie Midnight has a coarse side and a smoother side. The coarse side goes against the horse. It seems to have a pretty good hold on the horses hair. But I've never used a tacky pad to compare to. Nor do I have horses that are hard to fit.

Aspen
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-26 9:13 PM (#36052 - in reply to #35448)

Regular

I have tried all different types of Pads, but I keep going back to my 5 Star. I use a 3/4" works great. I live in Wi. We Love to ride in snow, so the 5 Star stays Flexiable, not like Professional choice, SaddleRight or any pad that has a gel or a foam core. The cold stiffens those pads up and makes them hard to conform to the horse and saddle.Plus If I have a problem I just give Mike Easton a call at 5 Star and he will answer any question or problems you have, now it dosn't get any better than that
Centaura57
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-02-13 10:33 AM (#37076 - in reply to #35400)

New User

I'm not one to post much either but I do have something to say about the Dixie Midnight pad. I use a Grooma pad (same product, less $$) and use it under a Mattes pad. On top of that is my saddle - a treeless Barefoot. If a saddle was going to slip, it would be the treeless first! I can't do much riding on my filly due to her age so can't comment about heat buildup, but I DO A LOT OF MOUNTING AND DISMOUNTING right now. That pad DEFINITELY keeps the saddle in place! When I didn't have it, I had to use a mounting block. Now that I have it, I can mount from anywhere (and I'm heavy - 188 lbs!). HTHJonnie
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-14 7:11 AM (#37159 - in reply to #35090)

Elite Veteran

I use the dixie midnight with a sports saddle and ortho flex both.  My one horse is like a barrel and it still slips even with the dixie mignight.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)