'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sliding Windows

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-07 3:15 PM
6 replies, 3706 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

surfyre
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-06 12:14 PM (#35015)
Subject: Sliding Windows

New User

Hello,

I have just purchased used horse trailer and it has sliding windows on the side and rear.  They are in great condition, but they are a little sticky.  I was wondering if there was an easy solution to making these slide a little more smoothly? 

My Best! 

Cheryl

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-06 1:08 PM (#35020 - in reply to #35015)
Subject: RE: Sliding Windows

Elite Veteran

Graphite spray works well. Don't make my mistake of using lithium grease. It works well too but what a mess on the windows! Probably a little wax in the track of the window would also work.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-06 2:11 PM (#35022 - in reply to #35015)

Expert

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I use silicon spray; colorless, odorless (more or less), non-sticky, etc.
I just switched to a generic spray that used car dealers use to make tires look new and "wet", it is even cheaper and also does a great job on the weather stripping around doors and ramps.
There is no indication in your profile of where you are, but if you are anywhere in the snow belt and need to use your trailer in the winter time it is GOOD to have doors and ramps that aren't frozen shut.
While we might not WANT to haul in the winter time, there is always a chance that we may HAVE TO make a vet/hospital run, so having the peace of mind that nothing will be frost stuck is good.

Mr Cheep.

Edited by Reg 2006-01-06 2:14 PM
surfyre
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-06 2:18 PM (#35023 - in reply to #35015)

New User

Hello and thanks everyone!  I will go to the hardware store and see which is most readily available!  You guys are lifesavers!  I live in Dallas so freezing doesn't really pose a problem here more than once or twice a year!

Thanks again!

Cheryl

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-06 3:42 PM (#35026 - in reply to #35023)

Elite Veteran

Hello surfyre and welcome to the forum. I have an even easier fix to your stuck windows, but I would like to ask a couple of questions first. Do you feel/hear any metal to metal when the windows are moved back and forth? Is there any weather stripping missing or jammed into the tracks of the windows? If yes to either of those, fix those problems first, then move on to my do-it-yourself fix. Liquid soap is my first choice and if I need to get some really slick movement, I switch up to any kind of heavy duty hand cleaner that DOES NOT have grit or pumice in it. GO-JOE seems to work the best, but there are a lot to choose from. My last resort to sticking sliding windows is automatic transmission fluid. It's like a 10 weight oil with some dye and perfume added to identify it as transmission fluid. It's also designed not to attack the rubber weather stripping around the window and it won't freeze in the winter time. Very rarely have I every had to use the trans fluid as GO-JOE always seems to do the trick. That stuff is "slicker than snot on doorknob." Happy trails.

Edited by deranger 2006-01-06 3:46 PM
surfyre
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-06 4:33 PM (#35028 - in reply to #35015)

New User

Hi Deranger!  I am going to have to take a closer look at them as I do not know about the gaskets.  They were stuck, but in good shape, so I didn't want to force the issue and risk damage.  I will check that out.  Thanks for the advise!  I think there is some of that soap here at work.  Maybe they can spare some and I can give that a try first! 

And "Slicker than snot on a doorknob!"  GOOD ONE! 

Cheryl

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-07 3:15 PM (#35083 - in reply to #35028)

Elite Veteran

surfyre, let me know how the windows are working after the fix. Thanks for the +feedback, always looking for feedback, good or bad. Happy trails.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)