'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
cribbing collars

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-29 9:46 AM
26 replies, 7506 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ajs01
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-29 12:03 AM (#36142 - in reply to #34753)
Subject: RE: cribbing collars

Regular

Besides if this horse chewing the wood or grabing it a sucking wind on it. If it is the latter the horse is an endorphin junky. When they grab it and suck it releases endorphins and they get into a zone like a runner. Either learn to live with it or get rid of the horse.

We can't clean up people on dope, you think your going to clean up a horse. If that horse is chewing it's one story. But that sucking is just an addiction. I have never reall heard of a cleand up horse.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-29 9:46 AM (#36154 - in reply to #34753)
Subject: RE: cribbing collars

Veteran

This is such a big topic and I have read all the posts with keen interest......we are all fortunate to get such a wide range of responses from this forum.  I guess I have been fortunate over the years to not have owned a cribber or had a horse start cribbing.  I have although owned horses that chew on wood, and that is not the same thing as cribbing.  Horses chew on wood out of boredom or a need for something deficient in their diet.  Cribbing is when they grab something solid, usually wood and start sucking air......it is addictive and they love it...just like a drug.  I have not heard the connection to stomach ulcers before but it is certainly worth looking into.....if that were all it took to stop horses from cribbing I am all for it.  I will add that over the many years I have owned horses......it has been my experience that the more time they have outside with their herd buddies in the pasture the happier they are.  Even in bad weather (with the barn available).  Horses that are closed off from their herdmates and kept stall-bound are much more prone to cribbing. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)