'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
cribbing collars

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-29 9:46 AM
26 replies, 7505 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

maeclara
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-02 7:23 PM (#34753)
Subject: cribbing collars

I personally think that I have the worst cribbing horse around, so bad that every collar that I have bought does not work ( and yes that includes the mirable collar and every other product) and it is so bad that I just cannot get weight on her, so my questions is has any one used the electirc collar, do you have to stand there and activate it your self (I see there is a remote) or is it self activateing. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 10:30 AM (#34799 - in reply to #34753)
Subject: RE: cribbing collars

Regular

Is your horse kept in a stall or is he outside and cripping on posts? I have a really bad cribber also and the collars never really worked for me either. My horse is outside more then in, but what I did was put a single strand of hot electric wire in her stall and it only took one zap. She now never cribs in her stall even though the wire isn't hot anymore. It also really slowed down her cribbing outside. This may be an option for you. Good luck.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-03 9:09 PM (#34842 - in reply to #34753)

Expert

Have you tried using a grazing muzzle?  It's a wire muzzle that will allow her to drink but will make it impossible to crib unless she figures out how to get it off.  You will have to remove it at feeding time.  Here are a couple

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/search_results.asp?CID=1&mscssid=CJXKXHMNWQGK8NVP5MUU5A7337K7246F&keywords=Cribbing&category=All&animal=All&cmkw=Cribbing

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=6ce3f035-7cb3-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=ec35cd66-8288-4513-b05f-da15d8834218

Edited by Terri 2006-01-03 9:15 PM
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 7:46 AM (#35297 - in reply to #34753)

Regular

I'm sure you've thought of this but have you tried using Quitt or any of the other remedies? I've heard it really works. I've also heard of a few clever cowboy remedies but I cant remember them! (Anyone know of any?) It involves something like spraying wood with chili pepper or something like that. You know, those home remedies?
santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 9:12 AM (#35310 - in reply to #34753)

Regular

In my garage i got an old paint can with (Pine tar and curry pepper I think) from my dads horse barn.  I was told to paint that on to the stall if I had a problem with cribbing.  As a side note I thought I had read somewhere that when a horse is cribbing it is not getting enough of some nutrient in its diet.

kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-11 1:48 PM (#35333 - in reply to #34753)

Regular

I have also heard that a horse will crib to produce saliva...in order to coat ulcers in the stomach. I know a lot of horses who, when treated for ulcers, gave up the habit of cribbing altogether. I know you aren't asking for reasons why, but knowing so could help find a better solution.

Good Luck!

Edited by kickshaw44 2006-01-11 1:52 PM
teresa1968
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-11 2:26 PM (#35336 - in reply to #34753)

cayan pepper paste,mix a little bit of water and alot of cayan put it on the wood that she is cribbing on.she should stop because the taste is not nice.good luck..                    

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-12 7:22 AM (#35368 - in reply to #35336)

Regular

Yep those are the down home cures. Sorry we didnt answer your question exactly. I've just never seen the cribbing collars work. Cayanne pepper is the old cowboy cure I was talking about. I use it in vaseline to treat some types of wounds.  Can't argue with an old cowboy. ;)

PS- FYI Last night, I accidently posted this under the gelding thread.  They are going to wonder what on earth I was thinking!  

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2006-01-12 12:08 PM (#35379 - in reply to #34753)

If the cribbing is REALLY bad then you might want to look at surgical options.

I belive the elctrical collars only work when you push the button, not once they sense the action.

I've known horses so bad they cribbed in the pasture and on the water troughs.

Look into all possible causes with a good equine vet and follow the advice to a T.  That way you can systematically find a cure that works for you and the horse.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-12 12:09 PM (#35380 - in reply to #34753)

Expert

If the cribbing is REALLY bad then you might want to look at surgical options.

I belive the elctrical collars only work when you push the button, not once they sense the action.

I've known horses so bad they cribbed in the pasture and on the water troughs.

Look into all possible causes with a good equine vet and follow the advice to a T.  That way you can systematically find a cure that works for you and the horse.

maeclara
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-12 6:54 PM (#35402 - in reply to #34753)

Thanks for everyone's opinions, and here is what I have to say on them (nothing bad)  Tried the muzzle, she broke 2 of them trying to crib and tried the other remedies, this horse loves hot sauce, and also the sprays and paints that are on the market ( I have a lot of money invested in anti cribbing.  I though that was right about the electric collar that you have to activate it yourself, I guess I should call the manufacturer about that.

And on the ulcer subject I am going to look in to that soon, as she is thin from cribbing and someone mentioned that she may not be bale to put the weight on because of this.

By the way she has crib of my geldings butt before and she is a nervous horse (you know not quite there).  I am also going to get a portable electric fence this year to change her pasture habits a little

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-13 7:07 AM (#35421 - in reply to #34753)

Elite Veteran

Studies are showing that aprox 95% of racehorses have ulcers and 80%+ of horses that are shown, ridden, etc have ulcers.  Pretty scary statistics. Cribbing is often a sign a horse has an ulcer.

My almost four year started chewing wood last March and a good friend told me about a product to use.  She said chewing wood is a sign he may have an ulcer or be developing one.  When horses are trailered, stomach acids can build up and cause an ulcer and I do travel with my horse quite a bit.  Miracle Clay is a Dynamite product and is a natural substance found in the earth.  You mix it with water to make a thick liquid and then give about 1/3 of a syringe before trailering.  It coats the stomach and prevents the acids from harming the stomach.  I gave this to my horse everyday for a month and then give it to him anytime I trailer him.  Guess what - he stopped chewing wood after about 5 days and hasn't done it since.

A container costs about $25 and I'm still on the same container.  You don't have to refrigerate it or anything.  I keep several jars of it at the barn, trailer, and at home as I used it last summer on myself when I got stung by bees.  It's a great drawing agent as well.

The other product I've heard of is aloe juice.  You give 1 cup am and pm everyday and it must be kept refrigerated.  Wal-Mart carries it.  I prefer the Miracle Clay as it's a lot less expensive and you don't have to give it everyday. 

I have heard of great results from the aloe juice as well.

Miracle Clay can only be bought through Dynamite Product distributors, but you can do a search on the web and find lots of them.

While it may not cure a long time cribber, if you can provide relief to your horse why not try it.  You can also go the route of a vet exam, they have to scope them and gastroguard is very pricey.  But that is another option.  Good luck.

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-13 8:55 PM (#35453 - in reply to #34753)

Extreme Veteran

I looked up the miracle clay and it was actually more expensive than the aloe juice.  I went to Amazon.com and ordered a gallon of juice.  Including shipping it was just over $20.  They wanted 19.95 for the jar of clay plus shipping.  I am giving the juice a try on my TB mare.  She is an ex race horse that cribs.  After reading everyones comments, I am pretty sure she has ulcers.

kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 11:53 AM (#35535 - in reply to #34753)

Regular

Another product that is on the market is a simple nutrient-buffer. It does not require refridgeration, and the show horses I know get it 1x/day with AM feed. I have also heard of using milk of magnesia, Succeed paste (cheaper than Gastro Gaurd) and also a product called Rantidine - All much cheaper than the $30/day GastroGaurd!

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 7:06 AM (#35583 - in reply to #34753)

Elite Veteran

Yes the Miracle Clay is more expensive at first, but it's a powder that you mix with water and as I mentioned, I'm still on the first container almost a year later.  With the aloe juice, you give 1 cup am & pm so you will go through a gallon about every 2 weeks, you have to refrigerate it, and the horse has to stay on for the rest of it's life.  With the Miracle Clay after the first 30 days, you only have to give it when you trailer, show, etc.  So for my money I prefer the  Miracle Clay. 
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 8:03 AM (#35589 - in reply to #35421)

Regular

Studies are showing that aprox 95% of racehorses have ulcers and 80%+ of horses that are shown, ridden, etc have ulcers.  Pretty scary statistics.

That is pretty scary. I'll bet its from the overuse of bute. I tend to think cribbing is from either a neurotic thing (like weaving), a vitamin deficiency/imbalance or teething. Good luck to all of us in figuring out which one it is!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-17 8:41 AM (#35593 - in reply to #35589)

Expert

I doubt if it's from bute overuse. But it could be in some cases.   My vet who races and a good friend of mine (who doesn't like bute and only uses it as a last resort) who shows say the only time they have problems with ulcers is when the horses have a heavy show/race load.  The stress of shipping and being in new places is what I have been told is the main cause of ulcers in performance horses.
jillian
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-01-19 8:25 PM (#35744 - in reply to #35453)

BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE AUTOMATIC COLLARS THAT SHOCK WHEN THEY CRIB!!!!! Ive seen one of these tried and it was horrifying. After a jolt on mild setting the horse panicked. This in turn caused the collar to shock again which caused a loop of panic and shock, the panics made it dangerous to get the collar off. The horse took a long time for it to trust the owner again. The horse wouldn't allow the owner to catch because it associated the owner with the shocking collar. There were good intentions, but it backfired. Have you tried the "Best friend" cribbing muzzle? http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=EC35CD66-8288-4513-B05F-DA15D8834218&ccd=INK001

My horse gets "nervous stomach" when boarded. I tried Hilton Herbs and the problem appeared to have gone away(he quit biting at his sides). He know longer needs it. I cant remember the name, but it had chamomile which also calms humans stomachs. I bought it from ChamisaRidge.com

Good luck.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-22 7:55 AM (#35807 - in reply to #34753)

Expert

I just read this thread and if you start at the top and read it all the way down you'll understand why I say, Way to many good horses out there to put up with uncontrolable bad behavier in one. I say cut your losses and go buy a horse without these modern day problems.
ajs01
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-22 4:27 PM (#35824 - in reply to #34753)

Regular

I have to agree with HWBar, there are far too many good horses out there.

Besides if this horse chewing the wood or grabing it a sucking wind on it. If it is the latter the horse is an endorphin junky. When they grab it and suck it releases endorphins and they get into a zone like a runner. Either learn to live with it or get rid of the horse.

kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-23 12:45 PM (#35870 - in reply to #35824)

Regular

Originally written by ajs01 on 2006-01-22 5:27 PM

... Either learn to live with it or get rid of the horse.

...Harsh words for someone who is just looking for a little insight and help...

CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-25 8:49 PM (#35988 - in reply to #34753)

Veteran

Horses crib because it releases endorphins in the brain. Sort of like a mild high. I had a mare that cribbed on everything unless I kept a collar on her. People said that other horses would "learn" this behavior from her. That never happened.
tbone
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-26 9:01 AM (#36011 - in reply to #34753)

I AGREE WITH CTR RIDER. I LOST A HORSE LAST MONTH THAT WAS ONE OF THE BEST I EVER HAD. THE HORSE DID NOT START CRIBBING UNTIL ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO AND WHEN HE STARTED, IT WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE END BECAUSE IT ABSOLUTELY CONSUMED HIM. HE WENT FROLM APPROX. 11OO LBS DOWN TO 600 LBS AND I TRIED EVERYTHING TO GET HIM TO EAT. I LIVE IN THE HORSE BELT OF SC BETWEEM AIKEN AND CAMDEN AND HAD SEVERAL HIGHLY THOUGHT OF VETS TAKE A LOOK AT HIM AND THEY TOLD ME THE SAME THING THAT CTR RIDER STATED. THEY TOLD ME ITS ALMOST LIKE A DRUG ADDICT. ITS A HABBIT THAT TURNS TO ADDICTION AND YOU WILL HAVE A VERY DIFFICULT TIME STOPPING IT AND MORE THAT LIKELY YOU WANT. ALL YOU CAN DO IS TRY TO SLOW IT DOWN. THE HIGH THAT THEY GET IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EATING. I USED COLLARS, ELECTRIC FENCE, TOBASCO SAUCE, MUZZLES ETC., BUT IN THE END IT KILLED MY HORSE. I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK, BUT I HAVE MY DOUBTS AFTER HEARING WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY STATED ABOUT THE HORSES CONDITION.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-27 9:06 AM (#36069 - in reply to #34753)

Expert

Got a friend with a stud that one cribs as well as bites.He bites real sneaky like when back is turned or farrier is bent under him etc.Never hard but none the less.His cribbing is often but never a issue with weight.Big stout boy! Anyhow my friend was messing with feet and he bit.Owner said I've had it.The next time he bit, owner got him with a small batterys almost dead taser.Old studly knees buckled.Stopped biting period for a week or so and one day nipped,.Got him again with it.Owner had been in wait,LOL,After that even if starting to crib owner(or whoever knows the trick)can make the zizzz noise by mouth like a  taser makes and Old Studly goes to attention and STOPS NOW.Its been months and for the most part stopped cribbing and DOES NOT put his mouth on anyone.If caught cribbing all you do is go zizzz like a taser and thats it.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-27 10:08 AM (#36071 - in reply to #36069)

Regular

That's funny. :) Im not going to play animal shrink but it sounds like cribbing is either a learned behavior or a neurotic compulsion. I think before I'd throw out the gelding with the bathwater I'd make sure he didnt have some vitamin deficiency and/or try him on a calming agent. If he's sucking for endorphins than that's an addiction and just like in humans some drugs will wean people off the  need.

OP have you ever tried any of those calming agents on him? I think they are herbal based.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)