'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Heated discussion?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-14 12:02 PM
15 replies, 5423 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-01 8:45 PM (#34693)
Subject: Heated discussion?

ok the universal question. panels vs. portable electric fences? which is better, safer, more economical? please i need ideas for this summer!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-02 12:33 AM (#34703 - in reply to #34693)
Subject: RE: Heated discussion?

Expert

I think it depends more on your horse.  I have two that are fine with a wire, not plugged in, one that will constantly test a wire and one that will try to step on the wire posts and knock them over.  So, I have 2 I can use with a wire, and two that need to have pannels.
Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-02 8:03 AM (#34711 - in reply to #34693)

Veteran

After having deer go thru my electric fence twice and scaring my horses to death.  I switched to the portable panels.  My son made them for me, they fit on the side of my trailer, are 10 ft. long, and I can handle them by myself. I have 6 of them and this makes a 10 X 20 ft stall for my 2 horses.  I also sleep a lot better in the camper now knowing I don't have to worry about the deer.  Until my son got the panels done I started hanging red blinking lights on the wire to that the deer could see it.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-02 8:44 AM (#34715 - in reply to #34693)

Veteran

The white electrical plastic tape fence usually keeps the deer from crossing. They seem to be wary of the white tape. Elk will knock it down however. Panels are just too much to carry. We put our horse in the electric tape to graze, roll walk around and then highline them at night.
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-02 4:07 PM (#34736 - in reply to #34693)

very interesting points, keep them coming!! nother question.. we plan on bringing 3 horses camping right? and one of our horses doesnt get along with one of them, can we get another corral if its open? or will there be costs? what are you experiences? im talking about SD, and MN, thank you
Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-02 4:45 PM (#34742 - in reply to #34693)

Veteran

Most of the places I camp don't furnish corrals. The one that does charges $5 extra a day for the second corral.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-02 8:59 PM (#34757 - in reply to #34693)

Expert

I use the electric fence. Even when we pack in.  We take a 1/4 mile spool (sometime two) and string it up around the meadow.  If I have 2-3 horse I will use only part of the spool, 15-20 horses we use both spools.

We let the horses graze all day and highline them at dark. If you make the electric paddock large enough, even horses that don't get along have room to get away from each other. Deer & elk in the mountains have no idea what an electric fence is and will go through it. When it shocks them, they take off running, usually dragging the wire with them.

Several times I have put up a small 3 sided corral (20 x 30)  using the trailer as the 4th side when I've been in camp grounds where I couldn't put up larger area. it gives the horses  more room to move around than tying them to the trailer, plus I sleep better with out them tugging on the leads. At night I put a glow stick on their halters so I can look out the window and count lights and know if they are all present.

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-01-03 11:52 AM (#34809 - in reply to #34693)

Veteran

Try them, I love mine, I carry 12 eight footers

http://corrals2go.com/
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-05 12:34 PM (#34964 - in reply to #34715)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by martyg on 2006-01-02 6:44 AM

The white electrical plastic tape fence usually keeps the deer from crossing. They seem to be wary of the white tape. Elk will knock it down however. Panels are just too much to carry. We put our horse in the electric tape to graze, roll walk around and then highline them at night.

Ditto MartyG....we live along a river with many deer moving through daily.. I was always fixing the wire or string when they went through it at night. We switched to 1/2" tape and that was the end of it! Only time it needed fixing is where it burnt trough at a bad connection. Time to replace it...! Sold on the tape!

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-05 7:06 PM (#34984 - in reply to #34693)

Veteran

We have done both. We use the elec. tape to economize on space packing the trailer. I do have some great panels for sale if you are interested. Look on this site

http://oxbowmfg.com/free_standing_corrals

There are 5 panels each extending to 12' and telescoping down to fit in our extra slant load stall or the back of a pickup. They are $1159 new. Make me an offer! They are in excellent shape. Can also get brackets to attach them to you trailer. You cam also set them up to be used as trailer dividers.

If I did not need the space (we travel up to 3 weeks at a time so need to pack a lot) I would still be using them.

J&J

If I didn't need the space I would still be using them.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-06 7:38 AM (#35001 - in reply to #34693)

Elite Veteran

Hello ride or bust and welcome to the site. If you are looking for another alternative for temporary fencing while camping, try the site below. I just found out they are not doing any trailer work right now, but maybe they still have their portable corrals available? I got interested in their trailers a couple of years ago, haven't bought one yet. I thought their approach to portable pens was unique. They are horse people, do endurance riding and a lot of trail riding. They started building their own trailers and portable pens was another invention of their own to suit their needs. Happy trails.

http://www.ciwtrailers.com/index.html

heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-13 6:53 AM (#35420 - in reply to #34693)

Regular

Portable panels, without question! Going camping over the 4th of July....fireworks unexpectedly erupt near camp ground, or deer run through scaring horses not accustom to them, or lightning strikes nearby, terrified horse goes through electric fence. Even if yours do not, there is nothing keeping scared horses from demonlishing your fence, allowing your horses to escape. Been there, seen that, would not use electric.

Just my 2 cents!

Brenda

Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-13 1:19 PM (#35442 - in reply to #34693)

Veteran

If you lived closer to Texas, I would suggest going to Bonded Trailers in Denton: www.bondedtrailers.com

They sell 6 foot lightweight panels for around $25 each.  I have 16 of them which makes 2 12'X12' sized pens (actually14 can make 2 pens if you connect them together).  What's great about them is that I can haul all 16 in my front stall of my 3 horse slant.

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-13 4:57 PM (#35447 - in reply to #34693)

Veteran

If folks  have space to haul panels thats great..haul them.  But when horses get frightened, they can get tangled up in panels also.  We haul 4 horses in a 4 horse trailer primarily primitive camping and hauling enough panels  is not practical.  Where we camp, keeping horses inside 1 strand of tape is usually fine.  If we were somewhere they could possibly get out and run into traffic, perhaps that would be risky.  To each his own, but my opinion is that the simpler the better.  Electric tape in the daytime and put them on a highline or if in the outback, hobbles at night.  Train them to respect electrical tape by using electric fence at home and it seems to work fine.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-14 6:31 AM (#35455 - in reply to #35447)

Elite Veteran

Very well said martyg and I agree with what you are saying. One other suggestion that a friend of mine and I have used in the past when absolutely needed is using 2 horse trailers for the highline.  We camp at the beach twice a year and there are no trees. We park the trailers the right distance apart with the the trailers backed up towards each other.  Six horses could pull a trailer over if tied on the side of the trailer with a highline, but if tied to the rear of each trailer all they can do is drag the rig a couple of feet if they get spooked by something like fireworks or lightning. Happy trails.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-14 12:02 PM (#35461 - in reply to #35447)

Elite Veteran

I will send another vote to martyg. I would take hot tape over panels any day of the week. Yeah, I have had horses that have run though it. I was usually because I either 1) have a horse that doesn't know about hot wire ot the were testing it, or 2) I have put a couple horses in that were fighting. No big deal, I just put it back up and get the charger out. I have seen horses get tangled up in panels, especially when the get down to roll. Luckily, it was just bad scrapes and not a broken leg. One horse actually just laid there patiently until we got him untangled.

I personally think hot tape is easier and faster to put up, takes up less space when packed up, and its easier to take downand pack up. I have never had a problem with deer or elk running thru it. We live and camp in the middle of several herds. Could be the people/dog/horse population we have or maybe the campfire. IF we use the hot tape, we use the "turnouts" during the day and highline at night, usually we just highline. Highlining is even easier that the hot tape.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)