'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
17 saddles stolen Lafayette, IN December 22, 2005

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-03 6:02 PM
5 replies, 3860 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jannico
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-01 3:58 AM (#34657)
Subject: 17 saddles stolen Lafayette, IN December 22, 2005

New User

Our tack room was broken into December 22, 2005 and we lost 17 good using saddles. I am asking for help in locating them. Would you'all please keep an eye out for them? Any help would be appreciated. We are offering a $1,000 reward! There were 5 Cleburne's, 2 Saddlesmith's, 2 Billy Cook's, 2 Bonna Allen's, 2 Circle Y's, 1 Running P, 1 Burt Alcorn, 1 CC ( Charles Crawley) and one Ryon Roper. There are pictures and contact information on our web page http://groups.msn.com/thewearanch

or call 765-474-2667, e-mail buckaroo121@hotmail.com Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-01 1:33 PM (#34675 - in reply to #34657)
Subject: RE: 17 saddles stolen Lafayette, IN December 22, 2005

Expert

I saw a recent article in a newspaper that the Midwest has had a rash of thefts involving tack. I feel for your lose.

A number of years ago we had quite a rash of thefts of construction equipment. Several of the local police departments set up up stings operations where they placed small transmitters (like you would put on a collar of wild animal to track it's movements) on various pieces of equipment and tools. Then they delibertly left the equipment exposed. Several of the items were stolen and the police used the tracking devices to locate the stolen items. They also published several newspaper articles about the thefts and how the police tracked down the bad guys.

It really shut down the number of thefts. Either they put enough of the bad guys in jail or the news of it scared enough of them that the number of thefts dropped off.

The transmitters have a limited distance that they work. So if somebody loads up and heads out of state, you are not going to find them. But they are small enough that you could hide one in your saddle tree. And if the theif takes all the stolen loot back to his home some where in town, you can find him.

Regardless of whether your police will purchase and impliment this type of deterant, Maybe just getting your local paper to print some stories about it may deter some of the bads guys.
Jannico
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-02 4:03 AM (#34704 - in reply to #34657)

New User

Was that in Utah? I believe our son said he had heard something about there being a tracking device put into a big generator somewhere and the police went right to it after it was stolen. I sure wish we had that option now. I had not heard of any other break ins in this area except for a couple in Wisc. If you know any specifics maybe that info would help our local sheriff if you remember any towns. Thanks for the suggestions. Everyone is a potential victim, it would be nice to stop them all!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-02 8:42 PM (#34755 - in reply to #34657)

Expert

I don't remember where I read it.

but I read it somewhere in the last two weeks. about a rash of saddle thefts in the midwest. It listed the cities.

Yes the tracking device was used in Northern Utah. They planted them in Skidloader, several saws and in one case a carton of cigerettes. Different police departments used different strategies. They are limited in what you can do with them. Since you have to Actively go looking for the transmitter. The police have to drive or use a small plane to get around town while they search for the signal.
lm3dale
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-03 7:07 AM (#34773 - in reply to #34657)

Regular

I had my saddle stolen a few years ago...I found it at the sale barn in Rushville, IN....they had taken it there to sell, with the help of the sheriffs dept, I was able to recover my saddle. You may call some places like that to see if they have had anything brought there to sell.

Jannico
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 6:02 PM (#34836 - in reply to #34657)

New User

Thanks for the tip. We used to sell horses every week at Rushville, IN. It seems like it was ages ago! I sure hope that they turn up. Glad to hear that you got yours back.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)