'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
no shoes?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-09 9:30 PM
20 replies, 5401 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 7:12 PM (#34646)
Subject: no shoes?

Veteran

Does any have any information, or know where I can get information on the "new" way of shoeing where  eventually the horses are shoeless?  I have heard it might be called "mustang shoeing" and I believe the Downunder Horseman has given some information on it.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 8:15 PM (#34648 - in reply to #34646)
Subject: RE: no shoes?

Extreme Veteran

I wouldn't suggest it.  I have been reading research on it and due to the living conditions domesticated horses live under it is not advisable.  It is one thing if the horse is living on 1000 acres and has access to rocks, gravel, etc to wear down the hooves.  Also, our domesticated horses do not have the same quality of hooves that the feral horses do.  I would never allow someone to "natural" trim my horse.  I have NEVER had a horse come up lame from the trimming I have from my farrier.   
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 8:20 PM (#34649 - in reply to #34646)

Expert

I've had folkes around here comment that after that sort of trimming their horses went dead lame and HURT.Just another gimmick in my opinion.Just use a good farrier.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-01 12:10 AM (#34652 - in reply to #34646)

Expert

It's called the Mustang Roll. or Natural Hoof or Natural Trim

Here are some websites that pop up with a google search.
http://www.naturalhoof.co.nz/
http://www.thehorseshoof.com/GetStarted.html
Also Jamie Jackson's book on natural hoof care is a good starting read.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0965800768/qid=1136095077/sr=1-1/r...

Back in my days of Competitive Trail Riding, I saw several folks work real hard at converting their horses over to Barefeet. But they never were successful at riding 50 mile events every other weekend barefoot. They could condition the horse barefoot, but they usually ended up with some horse sneakers or boots for the long rides. One rider tried for two years. The horse was healthy, but it just couldn't do 50 mile weekend rides with out protection.

I have a neighbor who is converting her gelding over. She doesn't compete. She does a trail ride on saturdays for 6-10 miles, and some arena work a couple of evenings each week, and her horse is doing fine with that type of use. She is very sold on the process. We share the same farrier and he is even starting to get excited about her results and has started several of his own horses down this path. He says he will be sold on the technique when he can take his horses up the Middle Fork trail without shoes. (very rocky)

I personally pull shoes around Thanksgiving and don't replace them until April. I trail ride all winter to keep the horses conditioned. With the snow on the ground they do better barefoot. Also where I ride in the winter has fewer rocks and rough terrain. My springtime rides are frequently in Utah's slickrock country and that type of rock really requires a shoe. Barefoot horses slip and slide on that sandstone, whereas the shod horse's shoes dig in and give him some tractions.

I would seriously evaluate how you use your horse before you make a decision to go barefoot.

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-01-01 11:34 AM (#34669 - in reply to #34646)

Extreme Veteran

I did a lot of research on this when my I found out my gelding had naviclar. IMO the strasser method scares me... I'm sure it works great for some horses, but any trim methid that can lame the horse to the point of being PTS... not for me.I did however end up going barefoot with my gelding, and my filly (3) has never had shoes on. My gelding wears Old macs for long rides or rough terrian and I will be buying a pair for my filly too. We did a weekend trip to NY and out of a group of horses, 2 from my barn barefoot, my gelding with his boots and 2 horses with shoes my navicular gelding with his boots was the only one not foot sore at the end of the weekend. The terrian was a little rough and my filly was having trouble with the uneven ground and tree roots... but was still fine on sharp gravel.I use a good farrier that is pro barefoot... but not anti shoe. I do this because I want an honest professional opinion on what is best for them, shoes or not. I also wanted someone that is capable of a good shoeing job should they need it in the future. My horses also live out - which is generaly part of the "natural trimmer" stuff and that agrees with them quite well, they are very happy with that arrangement.Oh and ...... I have found that my horses are fine on terrian that the live on - however our area is quite sandy, so if we ride for much longer than normal or in terrian that is much rougher than they are used to we need the old macs.

Edited by MBRA518 2006-01-01 11:39 AM
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-01 8:19 PM (#34691 - in reply to #34646)

i have a question for ya'll related to hooves and shoes. i would like to get my mare's feet together. they are currently slightly splayed, and have cracks all the way up to the hair line. she is NOT lame or atleast isnt showing it. i would like to show her in the 2006 year because she has an award winning body and has a bunch of futurity points. does anybody know of some really good hoof grower or anything that can help me out in this situation. and if they grow back would it be suitable to shoe her? thanx
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-01-02 11:21 AM (#34723 - in reply to #34691)

Extreme Veteran

Are they quarter cracks? You should have a good farrier look at her.Shoes or not depends on the type of crack and why - if she's not lame it's not likely quarter cracks, if not than shoes or not are up to you. Either way a good farrier can fix her feet (shoes or not). As for hoof growers, farrier's formula woork for a lot of horses. I've also have success with biotin as well as black oil sunflower seeds.With out seeing the horse or knowing the history of hoof care and reasons for her bad feet no one here can help you very much. I would suggest asking around about farriers and find a good one that is open to barefoot as well as a quality shoer with knowledge of corrective shoeing, that way you have someone with enough knowledge of all different styles and can choose what's best for your mare.
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-02 3:52 PM (#34734 - in reply to #34646)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! that really helped me, one last question (hopefully) do you know of any good farriers in south dakota or western minnesota??? i'd really like to show her. thanks again!!
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-02 4:55 PM (#34743 - in reply to #34646)

Extreme Veteran

Another good website to look at is :

http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/

Someone was asking about a good hoof supplement. I have had good luck with Horseshoer's secret. My horses have been on it for a year now and I have really noticed a difference especially in my older mare who had dry, cracked feet. Their feet are stronger and look healthy.

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-01-02 6:36 PM (#34749 - in reply to #34734)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry I can't help you there, I'm in Canada.... I would suggest asking around at local events, tack and feed stores and boarding facilities.
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-04 7:57 AM (#34853 - in reply to #34646)

Regular

Here is another 'barefooted' website

http://www.hoofcareunltd.com/

- click on the picture of the dressage horse

Edited by kickshaw44 2006-01-04 8:03 AM
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-04 11:10 AM (#34863 - in reply to #34646)

Elite Veteran

I use a farrier that trims the feet the natural way (like wild horses) and my horse's feet are great.  Fla can be rocky though not as bad as many of the places that people on here ride, but I haven't needed to use boots but will bring some when I venture out of state.  I trail ride and camp 12-14 times a year, riding 4-6 hours on many rides and my horse has been completely sound.  I also have 10+ friends that have gone barefoot with their horses and are also very pleased with the results.  It isn't for everyone, but it does work for many.

My horse is a coming 4 year old and has never had shoes on and I didn't want to put them on him.  I tried traditional farriers and his feet looked terrible after a week or two and I find the natural farrier does a much better job of it.  I like not having to worry about losing shoes and spoiling a ride.

Many people are resistent to change but there are always other methods out there that could be better than the ones previously used.  I prefer to keep an open mind. 

I do agree that the Strasser method is far too extreme and do not advocate that method whatsoever.  If you are happy with your horse's feet and your farriet than that is what matters.

However - if you compare the frogs of a horse that has been barefoot for all it's life or for a year or more to one that has always had shoes, the barefoot horse's frog will be twice the size.  Food for thought....

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-04 11:28 AM (#34864 - in reply to #34646)

Extreme Veteran

"However - if you compare the frogs of a horse that has been barefoot for all it's life or for a year or more to one that has always had shoes, the barefoot horse's frog will be twice the size.  Food for thought.... "

That is very true and have seen the same thing. A farrier I used to have and was only able to use her for about a year because she moved from the area, was very good at trimming unshod feet and had such great knowledge about it. I probably learned more from her than all of the other farriers I have experienced in 20 years. While she still will put shoes on horses, her own are kept barefoot and she does miles of trail riding. She will occasionally use the boots on her horses too if the trails she is on are rough. The easy boots of today are not just for emergencies anymore, ie. losing a shoe. Many of them today are made for daily riding. I would probably invest in a pair but I mainly show so I don't think I would use them much. My show horse does wear shoes on all four throughout the summer and while I have thought about just leaving him barefoot, some of the arenas I have been in can be like a gravel rode, not good!!!

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-01-04 11:49 AM (#34866 - in reply to #34646)

Extreme Veteran

Actually - to the gravel road reference - it's all about what they are used to... I need boots for my horses because they live on sand, and many of the trails we ride locally are also sand. But I know of horses that live in rockier conditions and do just fine. It's the same as your own feet in a way... if you are used to walking on gravel barefoot you feet adjust to be able to handle it, but if you always wear shoes it will be a pretty ouchy experiance.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-04 12:53 PM (#34872 - in reply to #34646)

Elite Veteran

I've attended a couple of clinics offered by K.C. La Pierre, RJF, MEP, PhD and he really does a good of "selling" the idea of going shoeless. I've tried it with a couple of my horses and have had good success, but going shoeless is not for every horse. We do a fair amount of pavement riding and shoeless does not work on pavement. K.C. recommends putting a boot on for pavement riding instead of shoes. I'm still using shoes on my horses for pavement riding at this time. Happy trails.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-01-04 1:06 PM (#34875 - in reply to #34646)

Elite Veteran

Deranger - I'm surprised riding on pavement barefoot isn't working out for you.  That doesn't seem to affect our horses feet at all - the rocks are what I worry about, though my horse's feet are getting tougher all the time and he hasn't had any issues with anything in quite some time. I'm glad you have found a solution with the boots. 

I do suppose if one did a lot of pavement riding (parades, etc) it would wear the foot down.  Is that the issue you're having?  The farrier I use says that riding on hard surfaces such as pavement is benefical as it toughes the foot without harming it. 

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-05 3:39 AM (#34922 - in reply to #34875)

Elite Veteran

Hi Dunoir, I'm never worried about wearing of the hoof on my guys when we are riding on pavement. My farrier is really good at keeping my guys in good shape hoof wise, even when there is hoof problem with a new horse. The big thing about riding on pavement is traction. Horses can go down on old asphalt very quickly. My horses are shod only on the front as a rule and with borium added. The hoof doesn't offer enough traction on pavement and neither does a horseshoe. Once you add the borium, a horse can walk on glass or ice and not slip. I put shoes on in early spring and pull them off late fall. I've seen some pretty bad "train wrecks" on pavement with barefoot horses slipping and sliding while trying to stop or turn too quick. Take a look at the latest fashions for hoof wear by mounted law enforcement, you'll be surprised at what they are wearing. My neighbor works at the stable for the Park Service in DC and I get the latest scoop on what's new for horses on pavement and trails. Happy trails.
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-01-06 6:06 PM (#35036 - in reply to #34646)

I learned something!!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-01-07 1:44 PM (#35074 - in reply to #34646)

We feed biotin tablets from the discount store;  paint feet with neatsfoot oil (vegetable oil works ok but neatsfoot does better)  and when one is having problems with tender soles, we paint the soles with Pad Kote (a remedy for hunting dogs pads to toughen them).  Most of our horses wear traditional shoes all round, but as many people have noted here, it all depends on the horse and the type of use.  One size just does not fit all.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-01-07 2:26 PM (#35078 - in reply to #34646)

Elite Veteran

I am going to try barefoot this yr. My 4 yr old has never had shoes, I use easy boots on fronts only. We'll see.  I ride a lot of rocky trail for days on end. 
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-01-09 9:30 PM (#35225 - in reply to #34646)

Extreme Veteran

I tried this last year to leave my three horses barefoot and it worked out well.  I had them trimmed regularly every 6-8 weeks. 

I tried the year before during the summer and it didn't work as well after having shoes on in the beginning.   It was ouchy so I put them back on.  I think what made the difference was having shoes off all winter and not putting them back on.  By the end of the summer even rocks didn't seem to bother them much.

I do think it makes a difference on the horse plus where you ride.  Around home my trails are mainly dirt but on vacation they're rocky so I always put shoes and pads on all four feet.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)