'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
FEED OPINION

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-17 12:53 PM
9 replies, 3524 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

glori
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 10:06 AM (#34618)
Subject: FEED OPINION

What do people do when you are boarding horses and they need several types of food.  I have a reiner and pay 395 a month.  The hay is given only by weight and the grain is fair Acco. Low fat high protien.  The owner pays 7 $ a bag.  I want a 14$ dollar bag.   I feel the board is high for this area in Texas, The stable is beautiful, and lighted areana, I am the only one there boarding.  Vet recomended the 14$ bag but will settle for the other.   I need a high fat low protien of 10%.

How should I handle the extra cost?

Edited by glori 2005-12-31 10:07 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-31 12:44 PM (#34634 - in reply to #34618)
Subject: RE: FEED OPINION

Expert

Do you have access to Legends (used to be Agway brand) 10% pellets?  It has 6% fat and Biotin too.  I have had tremendous results with it and it is about $9 a bag.
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 11:13 AM (#34806 - in reply to #34618)

Regular

Talk to the barn owner. If you want the higher cost feed buy it yourslef and have them feed it to your horse. Also since they no longer provide the feed itself i would expect a slight cut in the amount paid. I seriously doubt they would argue with you buying your own feed. It's one less horse to count in the feed bill. It's still basicly full board you just provide the feed.  Your end cost would be higher but you would be feeding what you want to feed. Also what area of texas are you in? As for it being high well where I am from it is high but it may not actually be so in your area. Remember you are also paying for the amenities that the barn has. You get what you pay for as the saying goes. You may be able to find a cheaper place but will it have what you need there? If so then try changing where you currently board at. The decision is yours. The amenities  werem't free to put up so their price will reflect that and so forth anywho best of luck and I hope i helped a lil bit. I don't own  a boarding barn but have had to board personal horses in the past. Just ask the BO and see what they say worst case scenario they say no end of story.

~Ree

kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-04 7:50 AM (#34852 - in reply to #34618)

Regular

Have you considered supplementing a high fat feed? In our area, Siminole makes a product called Ultra Bloom. My guy's are older, and just 1 measuring cup 2x/ day really helps keep them looking great. Also in my barn are 2 grand prix dressage horses - they are both on it as well - it just works!!! 13% protein, 20% fat

http://www.seminolefeed.com/pdf_files/ultrabloom_03.pdf

Supplementing may be the middle road for you - one $30 bag of Ultra Bloom lasts about 60-75 days - it might be worth considering!

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-04 6:43 PM (#34904 - in reply to #34618)

Elite Veteran

The places that I have been to that board set out what they will do for the price. In this case, it includes grain that you prefer not to feed. Places here would say that if you want something different, then you would buy it, they would feed it and they would not discount the board. Mind you, this has been at large boarding facilities where having 50 different people pay 50 different boarding fees would be harder to keep track of. I remember a long time ago when I boarded, my monthly fee included pasture turnout, hay, rolled oats and straw. I wanted a better grain and shavings. I paid for it myself and did not get a discount in my board. Then again, I was just a teenager and my board was $50 a month!
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-05 4:19 AM (#34924 - in reply to #34618)

Elite Veteran

Supply your own feed and be thankful for ANY discount the owner offers. Time is money and if they are taking more time to feed a special feed you are supplying rather than a bulk/barn feed, you get the idea. Happy trails.
ghosthorselady
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-01-14 12:28 PM (#35464 - in reply to #34618)

I would hope the owners of the barn or barn manager would be open to your needs.  I would expect the buy the grain myself, but would not remain in a barn which would not be willing to feed it to your horse & only your horse. For the difference in price, I'd just be happy to have all the amenities your barn has to offer.
GiddyUpNgo
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2006-01-14 11:49 PM (#35483 - in reply to #34924)

King of the Hill

Originally written by deranger on 2006-01-05 5:19 AM

Supply your own feed and be thankful for ANY discount the owner offers. Time is money and if they are taking more time to feed a special feed you are supplying rather than a bulk/barn feed, you get the idea. Happy trails.

Ditto 

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 9:24 AM (#35522 - in reply to #34618)

Regular

Much better to  feed what you want. Just offer to pay the difference per month.  That';s what I used to do when I had to board for a while. They picked up the feed, I made up the cost. Providing feed is part of what you're paying for. I haven't seen anything for $7.00 a bag that I would feed to anything but goats or cattle. But that's just me. (sweet smile.)

Edited by Anne0135 2006-01-16 9:26 AM
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-01-17 12:53 PM (#35601 - in reply to #34618)

Veteran

Since you are the only boarder, talk to the stable owner and see if you can either go to a "partial care" situation where you provide all the feed or see if you could get a slight reduction in board if you provide the grain. Depending on the amount they are feeding, they might only be using 3 or 4 bags of feed per month. Therefore, probably the most discount you would get is $20 or $25 and your cost to buy the more expensive feed is about $50 a month. It never hurts to ask and the least that can happen is that they say no change in rate (which they are completely entitled to do). I would look into a supplement that could add some additional fat (or you could supplement with corn oil) but the stable may charge for giving supplements, too (many stable do charge extra).

The stable I was recently at charged a set fee of $50 a month to put the horse on any different feed than what they normally feed (Country Acres - about $6.50 a bag). Most stable owners will offer you an option but it usually comes at a cost.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)