'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Predicament

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-26 5:02 PM
12 replies, 4419 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 1:10 AM (#34606)
Subject: Predicament

Regular

Well here's my problem. At the moment I am tryin to figure out what to do. Accidentally found out my hubby is planning to get me a horse. It's a young one he heard me say i really liked. He's surprising me tomorrow by taking me out to look at it.( my kids can't keep a secret) Problem is I now have to find a way to tell him no. He picked a bad time considering i just upgraded his Pc for him and bought him an online game to go with it. I didn't believe the kids when they told me but my oldest goes " here mom look I told ya so" and handed me the paper where he had arranged everything. Its sweet of him to do that but ummm i don't believe he realizes now is not a good time. Hehe still recovering from the Christmas holidays and you know how cash is at that time of the year. I have gotta figure out how to say no without insulting the sellers or embarassing my husband i have no clue how to work this out. All I can figure is take the seller to the side tell em the situation without embarassing him and then let him think I do not want the fella we are going to look at.(LoL I have been drooling over this guy for the last month so its gonna be hard to convince him) I just don't wanna hurt his feelings or have him upset(not overly emotional type but still feels bad cuz i sold my horse when we moved here and trying to make up for it). I am for the first time ever hoping this horse acts like a nightmare when we go to see him so  I can honestly say I do not want him. So keep your fingers crossed that this guy is a nightmare. I just don't want to waste these peoples time. I know I will be getting a horse within the next couple months but lol now is not the time. Sorry had to vent a lil bit there have had this going through my head since I found out  a few hours ago. It looks like he worked out some kid of payment plan with them  but still it's just not feasible with this paycheck. (my unflexable new years rule makes it this way...lol all bills that can be paid  off from the year before aka  vehicles and such get paid off). New year new start and works great. Oh well gonna quit rambling,
laters,
Ree
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 6:40 AM (#34608 - in reply to #34606)
Subject: RE: Predicament

Regular

Honesty is always the best policy.  Explain to your husband, and then call and cancel going to look at the horse.  Your making it harder than it need be.  Hope this helps
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-31 8:40 AM (#34611 - in reply to #34606)

Extreme Veteran

Can we trade husbands? LOL!! A couple months from now might not be a good time  either so just jump at the chance and look at the horse. Your husband obviously isn't too bothered by finances right now if he is buying you a horse. Be flattered he is wanting to be involved in your horse endeavors!

I would just go look at the horse, be surprised. You can always take him aside and tell him your worries with buying this horse. Believe me, if you spoil his surprise now he will be forever unsurprising in the future.

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 8:45 AM (#34613 - in reply to #34606)

Extreme Veteran

What if he is aware of your finances and has worked out a payment plan with the seller?   This could be a possibility.  I sold a trailer once and the person who bought it, paid me by the month and did not tell her signifigant other what the real price was and worked out the details with me on the side. 

muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 11:07 AM (#34621 - in reply to #34606)

Regular

Originally written by lively on 2005-12-31 1:10 AM

Well here's my problem. At the moment I am tryin to figure out what to do. Accidentally found out my hubby is planning to get me a horse. It's a young one he heard me say i really liked. He's surprising me tomorrow by taking me out to look at it.( my kids can't keep a secret) Problem is I now have to find a way to tell him no. He picked a bad time considering i just upgraded his Pc for him and bought him an online game to go with it. I didn't believe the kids when they told me but my oldest goes " here mom look I told ya so" and handed me the paper where he had arranged everything. Its sweet of him to do that but ummm i don't believe he realizes now is not a good time. Hehe still recovering from the Christmas holidays and you know how cash is at that time of the year. I have gotta figure out how to say no without insulting the sellers or embarassing my husband i have no clue how to work this out. All I can figure is take the seller to the side tell em the situation without embarassing him and then let him think I do not want the fella we are going to look at.(LoL I have been drooling over this guy for the last month so its gonna be hard to convince him) I just don't wanna hurt his feelings or have him upset(not overly emotional type but still feels bad cuz i sold my horse when we moved here and trying to make up for it). I am for the first time ever hoping this horse acts like a nightmare when we go to see him so I can honestly say I do not want him. So keep your fingers crossed that this guy is a nightmare. I just don't want to waste these peoples time. I know I will be getting a horse within the next couple months but lol now is not the time. Sorry had to vent a lil bit there have had this going through my head since I found out a few hours ago. It looks like he worked out some kid of payment plan with them but still it's just not feasible with this paycheck. (my unflexable new years rule makes it this way...lol all bills that can be paid off from the year before aka vehicles and such get paid off). New year new start and works great. Oh well gonna quit rambling,
laters,
Ree
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!!!! Don't worry!!! Be happy!!!
cinqchevaux
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-31 11:54 AM (#34625 - in reply to #34606)

Veteran

Comes down to, if you were planning on buying a horse in a couple months, why not buy one you've "been drooling over"? In other words, when you're ready to buy a horse, will you regret not buying the gift horse?

Years ago I sold a mare I dearly loved. Recently my husband surprized me by buying her back.  I was very angry with him at first by not checking with me (what if I didn't like her anymore? what if she isn't the horse for the kind of riding I now do?), and that sorely hurt his feelings. He said he'll NEVER surprize me with anything again. 'Course now I'm glad I have her, but my point is, let him surprize you, discuss your financial situation with your husband, then make the decision. If you really want it, and your husband doesn't seem to be overly concerned about the finances, why not go ahead with the purchase? If you don't want it, the sellers will most likely understand. But once you say no, be prepared for the owner to sell the horse to someone else....you okay with that?

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-02 12:33 PM (#34729 - in reply to #34606)

Expert

Here's another point of view.  It seems finance is the show stopper here...  I salute your discipline.  Go see the horse, be surprised, and pleased.  Then, discuss the money issue with husband.  It's better to be comfortable & secure than have "stuff".  The right horse will happen at the right time.  This one is just the stand out today.

Two people working together are much more than either alone.

Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-02 4:19 PM (#34738 - in reply to #34606)

Veteran

Hey, you know what.....Life is short !  Go see the horse with your husband, he worked very hard to try and please and surprise you......he must love you a lot to do all of that.  If you don't like the horse just tell him "lets keep looking honey"  if you really do like the horse then say "I love the horse but can we afford it dear?" 

Your husband is a sweetie, remain calm and have faith.

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-01-03 10:05 AM (#34796 - in reply to #34606)

Regular

Well we went and looked at the horse. Man I have to say I am head over heals for the fella(both horse and husband..lol). I let him know I loved the horse but at the moment the money just wasn't there. Tslked to the sellers as well. They had a couple other's interested but what is meant to be will be. If he's there next payday let's just say he's pretty much mine. If he's not life goes on and there's other horses out there. This was one real sweet horse. He adored the attention and was good about picking his feet up and everything else. Either way they had quite a few nice horses so I'm sure if he goes there will be another I like. LoL let's face facts I'm a horse nut. Anywho thanks everyone I appreciate all your help on this. Well gotta get going have a good one.
~Ree
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-12 12:26 PM (#35384 - in reply to #34606)

Expert

Get the horse
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-01-12 2:36 PM (#35392 - in reply to #34606)

Veteran

Is there any way that you can take out a 90 day note from the bank? It doesn't cost much to do, and you could pay it off when you get paid. I wouldn't let that perfect horse get away. How special is it that your husband arranged it!! Good luck!
Let us know if you get him.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-24 10:50 PM (#35958 - in reply to #34796)

Regular

lively, that's such a sweet story. Your husband sounds like a doll and so do you. Also sounds like you handled it great. I hope you end up with the horse of both of your dreams. I know how you feel. Nothing is fun when you have bills to pay. (I have this warning light that goes off in my head that just says, "dont spend any money now." Sometimes it's an overreaction but better to err on the side of caution, imo. Usually the purchase price is the least of our expenses. Or should I say, "always"?

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-26 5:02 PM (#36031 - in reply to #34606)

Extreme Veteran

I think that is so sweet of your husband, but on the other hand, if you are so strapped for money, what if one of the horses gets injured and you have a vet bill.  How will that get paid?  Those are things to consider and kindly explain that to your husband.  Tell him how much you appreciate the thought and that if the financial outlook was brighter it would be possible.  Just sit him down and show him the figures on paper.  My husband loves miniature dachshunds.  We are up to 4 of them now.  I can't take him to the humane society or a pet store, and I keep the classifieds out of his reach!  We would have a HERD of dachsund just like the commercial.  But I know with all the animals it would not be feasible.  Sometimes the thought is super sweet, but we have to think about long term.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)