'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking for tips on ordering trailer for LQ install later

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-30 10:46 PM
7 replies, 3081 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

haul'nhopeful
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-28 2:27 PM (#34461)
Subject: Looking for tips on ordering trailer for LQ install later

Next month I am planning on ordering a steel trailer (2 horse straight load, fully enclosed GN, bus and slide windows, vents and a/c) with an 8' long tack/dressing room that I can turn into a living quarters hopefully in three years or so.  I have determined there is no-way I can afford an alum or trailer with LQ already installed because of cost so this is my option.  The trailer I've spec'ed comes under $10,000 which I can afford.

Would anyone who knows and has tips let me know what things I need to look out for and what to order at the time they build the trailer?  Like where do the black and fresh water tanks go... under the floor ?...   so do I need to go to a 7'6" trailer height or something and add extra support under the floor in that area?   I will only be hauling one horse so I think 6,000 or 7,000 axles should be good enough -?- because I won't be having a flashy full kitchen or anything -- just enough for weekend traveling to save on hotels. 

Does anyone know where I can price the items to do the install of the toilet/sink/shower at least?  That part is important to me because of hay allergies that sometimes attack me and I need to get rinsed quick!  Possibly I can get help from a contractor to get that installed if I can find the parts. 

THANKS FOR ANY HELP AND IDEAS  TOWARDS MY PLANNING!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-28 4:18 PM (#34462 - in reply to #34461)
Subject: RE: Looking for tips on ordering trailer for LQ install later

Extreme Veteran

Most important thing:  you must have your floor plan with window, vent, door, and holding tank locations before you order the trailer, so that it can be built to the specs you need to finish it out.
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-12-28 7:11 PM (#34471 - in reply to #34461)

Veteran

One thing that I wish I had in my trailer is a camper door /W Screen.  This should be on your order list.

Turfa

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-12-28 7:26 PM (#34472 - in reply to #34461)

Extreme Veteran

http://www.campingworld.com/

This website should help with finding some of the parts in case you want to do it yourself.  You might want to check with a local RV store to see if they keep holding tanks in stock, or check their prices to see what they will cost you.  This should also help with the size of the tanks as well.  Also, if you are thinking about incorporating LP gas into the trailer, you might want to see if they can add you some brackets to hold your tanks and or batteries under the gooseneck.  Having this installed at the factory will save you a major headache when it comes to mounting them yourself.  Plus, it will have a professional appearance with matching paint.  Best of luck.

haul'nhopeful
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-28 7:33 PM (#34474 - in reply to #34461)

Just checking in this evening and wanted to say Thanks to everyone so far for the tips and such -- I really appreciate the responses!!   
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-29 11:58 PM (#34542 - in reply to #34461)

Expert

If you'll want an A/C unit, have the opening framed to support the unit, even if you only have a 14x14 vent.

Also, seems like most of the LQ units have an escape window on the GN.  Getting it installed upfront will save the cost of the window you'd throw away

Roger
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-12-30 2:18 PM (#34566 - in reply to #34461)

There are tons of things you can do but be real careful in your decision making of what you put in it and floor plans. Make sure you have a good laid out plan and use only R. V. style products and appliances. A good laid out floor plan that looks professionally installed will improve the value of your trailer, Make sure the person doing the interior has done trailer or    R.V. style interiors before if not it can ruin the value of your trailer.
haul'nhopeful
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-30 10:46 PM (#34600 - in reply to #34461)

Just wanted to again thank everyone for the tips and suggestions etc.  It's great to have this forum for learning.  I know I won't get it perfect but it sure helps alleviate stress thinking I am ahead in getting enough info gathered to make an informed decision!

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL FOR A GREAT 2006!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)