'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need Suggestions, Please

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-27 11:01 PM
4 replies, 2879 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tThompson
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-12-27 2:38 PM (#34430)
Subject: Need Suggestions, Please

Hi All. I was on here awhile back asking about trailers, and now I can officially begin my search.  I have a 97 Dodge Ext. Cab 1500.  I am looking to spend no more than 9k on a trailer.  I am only going to be hauling 2 horses, so a 2h or 3h is fine. This is going to be my FIRST trailer, although I pull my parents' all over.  I want something that is going to be realiable and comfortable for my horse. My 2 horses are close to 16 hands so I need something taller.. If any of you can give me an brands that would be awesome. Also I am located in ND... I'd prefer a gooseneck, but I'll take what I can get... ~THANKS!!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-12-27 3:13 PM (#34431 - in reply to #34430)
Subject: RE: Need Suggestions, Please

Veteran

I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab and I am pulling a 2H GN Aluminum with 4' SW Dressing Room. Because you are in North Dakota, I would highly suggest an aluminum trailer to minimize rusting issues. It will also weigh less than a steel trailer and with a 1500 series, you will also want to watch the weight of the trailer. Here's a few things to think about:

* What is your vehicle's MAXIMUM towing capacity? If you have 2 16H horses, I would estimate horse and tack weight at about 2700 lbs (horses at 1200# each and 300# for tack and hay). If your MAXIMUM towing capacity is 7,000 lbs., you need to find a trailer no heavier than 4,300 lbs (as a general rule). I am assuming your truck is a 1/2 ton and would think a 3H enclosed trailer might be pushing the weight too close to the limit so I would think a 2H would be a safer option.

* North Dakota can get COLD, so you may want to limit your search to a fully enclosed trailer as opposed to a stock trailer or stock combo.  If you can find one with some insulation, that might also be beneficial.

* For a budget of $9,000 you should be able to get a pretty decent used trailer. I personally would prefer to get better quality that is used but in good condition rather than buy something new that's not made as well. In the long run, the better trailer will last longer and hold it's value better for re-sale.

I am not too familiar with some of the brands which may be more prevailent in the north central area, but here are a few that seem to be very good quality in my area.

Hart, 4 Star, Platinum Coach, Infinity, Cimmaron, Elite

Good luck in your search.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-27 4:42 PM (#34436 - in reply to #34430)

Expert

Check ot Trails West- you can get into a good new GN trailer for about your budget...
tThompson
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-12-27 5:10 PM (#34437 - in reply to #34430)

Thank you for the replies. Please keep them coming!
tThompson
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-12-27 11:01 PM (#34447 - in reply to #34430)

Just Keepin' This Fresh!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World