'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Shopping for SUV for one horse Brenderup

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-28 8:49 AM
4 replies, 3734 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

yankeeclipper
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-12-26 12:32 PM (#34405)
Subject: Shopping for SUV for one horse Brenderup

New User

I am beginning to research tow vehicles for a one horse Brenderup Solo. It weighs 1300 lbs empty / 2500 lb max loaded. What would you recommend? I prefer an SUV over a truck and it seems feasible based on the size of the trailer and towing vehicle recommendations made by the manufacturer. Tow vehicle requirements: minimum of 120-horse power and a wheel-base as short as 93 inches. Thank you for all suggestions.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mini Oaks
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-12-26 8:22 PM (#34407 - in reply to #34405)
Subject: RE: Shopping for SUV for one horse Brenderup

I have a 02 Montero Sport SUV with a V6 200hp engine rated to tow up to 5,000 lbs. Use it to pull a 14' WW Stock Trailer with either 3 Miniature Horses plus show stuff or one 1,200 lb Quarter Horse with absolutely no problems. When not towing, gas mileage is 18.5 to 19.5, when towing I get 14 to 14.5 mpg running 55 to 60 mph. If I run 65 to 70 mph, then the mileage drops to 13 to 13.5 mpg. It's always better (and safer) for the tow vehicle to be a little "over spec" just in case you need it as it's just as important to be able to stop the trailer as it is to be able to pull it. Good luck.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-12-27 8:16 AM (#34412 - in reply to #34405)

Veteran

What kind of horse & tack are you going to haul if you are going from 1300 empty to 2500 loaded. If you haul a 1200 lb horse you have no wiggle room for tack and a whole list of other stuff that seems to accumulate when hauling a horse.
yankeeclipper
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-12-27 1:17 PM (#34428 - in reply to #34405)

New User

Barry that weight listed is for the horse and trailer only.  Currently my horse is not 1200 lbs he is only 3 and still growing.  Based on comments that I have read on this and other websites, I was planning on getting a vehicle with a tow capacity of not less than 5000 lbs. to accomodate tack, feed, people and etc...  The trailer only fits a horse and a hay net everything else will be in the vehicle.  It has been pulled with a Nissan Pathfinder and a Jeep Cherokee (although that was a friend with her Pony only 15 minutes down the road) and found the Nissan to be a little sluggish up hills and feel a more powerful engine and possibly longer / wider wheel base would be safer.   My friend thought it hauled great and was easy to handle with the Cherokee.
cupid
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-12-28 8:49 AM (#34450 - in reply to #34405)

I pulled my Brenderup Royal with a 96 Mercury Cougar--only with one horse, plus enough bags of shavings and hay for a weekend show. Towing capacity of Cougar was 2000 lbs. It towed nicely. (I'm in IL, never towed with the Cougar up a REAL hill.)

Read the Brenderup literature--on this site most people are used to regular trailers with 10-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. Brenderup tongue weight is about 3-5%. Most towing vehicles base their "max towing wt" on 10% tongue weight, which is why I was pulling 3000 lbs easily with a vehicle rated to tow 2000 lbs.

Now my Explorer pulls two horses in the same trailer with ease. Any mid-size SUV (maybe some smaller ones) should do fine with a Solo.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)