'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Towing capabilities

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-14 2:28 PM
2 replies, 2512 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mlcorwin
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-14 8:40 AM (#34055)
Subject: Towing capabilities

New User

Hi, I was just given this site by someone and found it interesting.  I have a question for those in the know..I have not had a horse for a long time and am out of date on trailers and towing.  I have a short bed 6 cyl standard pickup with the tow bar on it.  I just want to pull a bumper pull trailer, and right now only have one horse that weighs about 900 lbs.  Looking for another, but two is the max I would be hauling. I have bought a 14 ft extra tall stock trailer, have not towed the horse with it, experimented with furniture first.  Already determined trailer gets heavy on the front, had been towing horse with a ford and he had to ride over the axle instead of in the front, this horse has been injured in a trailer accident many years ago however, he does load and ride well.  I was wondering if I would be better off with a two horse trailer instead of the 14 ft and if so, does it need to have a dressing room for weight distribution or not, or is my stock trailer the best for me?  Thanks in advance.  Lou
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-14 11:47 AM (#34066 - in reply to #34055)
Subject: RE: Towing capabilities

Veteran

You may need some heavier springs on your truck.  At a minimum you need a Weight Distribution Hitch.
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-12-14 2:28 PM (#34076 - in reply to #34055)
Subject: RE: Towing capabilities

Veteran

Hello and welcome.  If you have a Ford you can add a leaf to the rear springs, which will help with the sag. I had a 90 F150 (still got it, but also got a bigger GN trailer so had to get a bigger truck too) and used to pull a two horse bumper pull alot and the only mod I made was to add an extra leaf to the rear springs. The proper hitch for weight distribution will help too. Your 14ft. stock should be just fine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)