'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Kicking in the trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-29 3:55 PM
7 replies, 5327 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ks_cowgirl
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-13 6:30 PM (#34027)
Subject: Kicking in the trailer

A girlfriend and I are planning a trip after the first of the year with our horses and  we will be trailering them in a 2 Horse straight load.  Her horse has been known to do alot of kicking while in their 4H slant load trailer and I am wondering, just how bad its going to get in my little 2 horse.  Is there ANY chance that this horse will be able to kick mine through the divider?  The divider is open at the bottom.  What can we do prior to the trip to prevent this horse from either hurting himself or my horse?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-14 7:58 PM (#34095 - in reply to #34027)
Subject: RE: Kicking in the trailer

Expert

Yes , there is a chance that your horse could get kicked and he probably will kick just as much in your straight as in the slant.  What canyou do?  Well, you can get him used to kick chains and haul that way or you can teach him to hobble and hobble those back legs.  I would be careful though that he doesn't let one fly in your face.  Definitely teach him that kicking is a no no.
Bellestar
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-12-16 8:46 AM (#34135 - in reply to #34095)

New User

I would be sure and get your horse some shipping boots. Those will protect his legs from being kicked. If the other horse were mine then I would hobble him so he can't kick. I have a horse that kicks. I have tried everything! Trust me! The hobbles just make him mad and make him kick harder. I have found that if I tie his head up pretty tight that helps. If they can't get their head down they can't kick as hard. Plus I keep hay in front of him 24/7. Seems to help him focus on eating instead of kicking. Good luck.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-16 5:33 PM (#34161 - in reply to #34027)

Elite Veteran

Here's what I'd do . . .  I'd haul myself and my horse seperately.  I've seen the "innocent" ones get beat up pretty bad because of riding with a kicker.  Why not use your friends 4 horse slant, and load them with an empty stall in between them?  If that doesn't work, then I'd go it alone.
ks_cowgirl
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-17 1:17 PM (#34177 - in reply to #34027)

Thanks for the replies everyone.  The reason she does not want to use her slant load to haul the horses is because it would be cheaper pulling my little 2 horse.  We will be traveling about 750 miles round trip. 

In the end though, if something happens to one of the horses, it could be even more expensive. So...  unless she can train the horse to accept hobbles, its sounding more & more like a VERY bad idea. 

Thanks!

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-12-18 6:27 PM (#34193 - in reply to #34027)

Elite Veteran

Hauling separately will be the best thing you ever do for your horses AND your friendship. Been there, done that. I did not blame my girlfriend a bit for not wanting my mare in her trailer (she strikes, not kicks, but...) and I didn't want to have to feel bad about her horse or her trailer getting damaged. You are correct- ultimately it is way cheaper to haul separately.
windwalker
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-29 2:54 PM (#34506 - in reply to #34095)

May I ask what "kick chains" are??
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-29 3:55 PM (#34509 - in reply to #34506)

Expert

Kick chains are lengths of /light-medium weight chain that are attached with straps (I like velcro closures instead of buckles) to right above the pastern of the hind legs.  THe chains should be long enough to flip up and hit the leg when the horse kicks but not long enough to be stepped on.  The idea is that the horse kicks and gets immediately repremanded by the kick chain.  They work very well on most horses (some loonies just panic and never do learn not to kick) but do try them in a safe contained area first.  I like the velcro because you can release them quickly. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)