'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Certify LQ ? OR Not?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-14 1:44 PM
12 replies, 3451 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-12-13 3:10 PM (#34021)
Subject: Certify LQ ? OR Not?

Elite Veteran

I looked at [on line] a beautiful new elite LQ.  You could not tell it from factory. Yet the gentleman stated he did the whole customization.  Said been doing them for a long time and then reselling.  How would you ever insure it, and would it be safe to buy such a trailer?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-12-13 7:09 PM (#34030 - in reply to #34021)
Subject: RE: Certify LQ ? OR Not?

Expert

I build a few tailers every year and am not "certified" I don't have any problem getting insurance on them my agent comes out takes some pictures and I have $40,000 full value insurance on my trailer cost me $180 per year. As far as is it safe, look at the back of the converter box(electrical panel) probley the hardest part to keep neat looking see how it looks, also see if you have access to major plumbing i.e. shower valves and the hot water heater, last but not least go with your gut feeling if your not sure of what your looking at, probley should go get one of the dealers trailers.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-12-13 7:23 PM (#34031 - in reply to #34021)

Elite Veteran

Yes, the trailer is to far away.  I know its probably as good or better than some, but I feel safer with riva or ta arnold. And I have my mind just about made up on eby.
notawordok
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-13 10:51 PM (#34039 - in reply to #34021)

Regular

If it looks good and feels right to you get it. As far as insurance I built my own and went to agent he added it on the policy never asked any questions.
motorjock
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-12-14 7:08 AM (#34047 - in reply to #34030)

Just curious,  who do you have your insurance with that only cost $180 a year for $40,000???

Thanks,

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-14 7:47 AM (#34052 - in reply to #34021)

Expert

I have a weekender LQ thats not certified and I have it insured.  The insurance people didn't ask about it either.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-12-14 9:28 AM (#34060 - in reply to #34021)

Extreme Veteran

Being a former claims agent, the only time you would have to worry about this would be if faulty wiring caused the trailer to catch on fire.  If for some reason this happened, the claims agent should come out and inspect the damage and trace to make sure that it is not faulty workmanship.  If it can be determined that the workmanship was the reason for the fire or this could even be water damage, then they would look at the company that did the LQ installation.  Ultimately, that company would have a liability claim for their product liabilty.  Most insurance companies are not concerned with whether or not the LQ is certified until the need arises to pay a claim.  In the event that something should happen, that company is going to look for a way to deny the claim based on faulty installation.  I worked claims for too many years and this would be a definite loop hole for an adjuster to use to keep from paying out on a claim.  We finished out on of our first trailers ourselves.  However, we took the trailer to a licensed electrician to do the wiring.  We did not have water in the first one.  The trailer was wired by him and he was insured in case something happened with his work.  The last trailer we had was certified.  In my mind, you are better off to get one that is.  No one can really say just how their insurance will work until a claim arises and the adjuster comes out.  Many of the agents that sell the policies do not have control over the claim process.  It is left to the adjuster to make the decisions.  I would not take my chances with one.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-12-14 9:52 AM (#34061 - in reply to #34060)

Veteran

Originally written by robdnorm on 2005-12-14 9:28 AM
Being a former claims agent, . . .  I would not take my chances with one.

I agree with real-world legalities, but we can't scare ourselves into never doing anything on our own. Using that line of reasoning, we could never run an electrical wire in our trailer, never ever in our house, and never do anything that might be construed to cause a loss based on something we did. If I build a fire in my fireplace and a spark jumps out and burns the house down I am sure an adjuster could claim it was my fault - but do they?
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-12-14 10:03 AM (#34063 - in reply to #34021)

Extreme Veteran

There is a difference if you did the work yourself.  Ultimately, you can't sue yourself and you can't claim liability on yourself.  Therefore, if you did the work yourself, and there was a problem, the insurance company would have to honor the claim.  Like your post stated, if you have a fire in the fire place and the house catches fire, the insurance will cover the claim.  The problem arises from where the company can trace back to an outside party or individual that could be liable.   We took on the task of finishing out only one trailer and that was enough of a headache to last a lifetime.  I certainly would not discourage someone from doing the job themselves.   Just offering up some advice as to what might could happen if you get an adjuster that is looking for a reason to not pay out on a claim. 

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-12-14 12:39 PM (#34069 - in reply to #34021)

Expert

Shelter Insurance has my trailer insured $40,000 full replacement value $183.00 per year. I did the living quarters myself and have alot less than $40k in it. It would be an interesting court battle over them not paying a claim based on me doing the conversion. I feel that just because is not "certified" does not make them less capable of building a quality trailer see photo of non-certified trailer.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-12-14 1:01 PM (#34072 - in reply to #34069)

Extreme Veteran

Very nice work HWBar.

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-12-14 1:02 PM (#34073 - in reply to #34021)

Extreme Veteran

HWBar, the picture is quite impressive of your work.  They could never do anything to you if anything went wrong since you did the work.  Based on the quality workmanship, you could purchase a cheap general liability policy and do conversions on your own.  That way if you did a trailer for another person and there was a problem, you would have a policy to protect you as well.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-12-14 1:44 PM (#34074 - in reply to #34021)

Expert

if this person has been selling LQ's he has done, then why not get the names and numbers of the people he has sold them too and get their opinions? They could tell you of the quality and the safety record.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)