'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What's the best way to attach a cabinet to a trailer wall?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-10 6:48 PM
6 replies, 3900 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Distarte
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-08 12:31 PM (#33865)
Subject: What's the best way to attach a cabinet to a trailer wall?

I have a new 2006 Exiss 304 Weekender that I ordered at Congress and just took delivery of a couple weeks ago.  I bought a medicine cabinet with a mirror to attach to the wall that divides the living area from the horses.  What's the best method of attaching it?  I have both toggle bolts and metal hollow wall anchors.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-08 3:11 PM (#33875 - in reply to #33865)
Subject: RE: What's the best way to attach a cabinet to a trailer wall?

Expert

Originally written by Distarte on 2005-12-08 11:31 AM

I bought a medicine cabinet with a mirror to attach to the wall that divides the living area from the horses.  What's the best method of attaching it?  I have both toggle bolts and metal hollow wall anchors.

Carefully .. lol  There are as many methods as types of fasteners.  I like self drilling metal screws myself.  Either type that you have will work.  They will require large holes to insert the anchor or toggle.  Therefore I like the above screws better.     Look for the supporting members inside the wall.  Either look for other fasteners or push on the wall surface to find the supports.  It's just like hanging stuff on the walls of your house. You want the fastener to be supported by the framing, not the wall skin.

Edited by hosspuller 2005-12-08 3:17 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-08 10:15 PM (#33883 - in reply to #33865)

Expert

Originally written by Distarte on 2005-12-08 12:31 PM

I have a new 2006 Exiss 304 Weekender that I ordered at Congress and just took delivery of a couple weeks ago.  I bought a medicine cabinet with a mirror to attach to the wall that divides the living area from the horses.  What's the best method of attaching it?  I have both toggle bolts and metal hollow wall anchors.

I would first need YOUR definition of "best" (-:
I dislike having to drill, I sometimes dislike where the fastener comes out on the other side. However hard you might find this to believe, there really ARE double sided sticky tapes that will do this job and do it very well. For THIS job MY choice would be the double sided tape that trailer manufacturers use to hold the outer skin to the frame (among other things) and avoid rows of rivets at every upright post. It is also good for hanging mirrors on tack/dr doors, but I've said that before and been laughed at (-:
I'll dig up the name if you're interested.
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-12-10 1:57 PM (#33932 - in reply to #33883)

Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2005-12-08 10:15 PM
Originally written by Distarte on 2005-12-08 12:31 PM I have a new 2006 Exiss 304 Weekender that I ordered at Congress and just took delivery of a couple weeks ago.  I bought a medicine cabinet with a mirror to attach to the wall that divides the living area from the horses.  What's the best method of attaching it?  I have both toggle bolts and metal hollow wall anchors.
  I would first need YOUR definition of "best" (-: I dislike having to drill, I sometimes dislike where the fastener comes out on the other side. However hard you might find this to believe, there really ARE double sided sticky tapes that will do this job and do it very well. For THIS job MY choice would be the double sided tape that trailer manufacturers use to hold the outer skin to the frame (among other things) and avoid rows of rivets at every upright post. It is also good for hanging mirrors on tack/dr doors, but I've said that before and been laughed at (-: I'll dig up the name if you're interested.

Reg - I would like to know the name of that kind of tape and where it can be purchased. Thanks

Edited by barrelsnpcs 2005-12-10 2:00 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-10 2:36 PM (#33936 - in reply to #33932)

Expert

I got it from 4-Star, they call it "vhb tape", which I've taken to mean very high bonding - and it IS !
I sent a personal message to someone about this; be VERY CAREFUL where you put this stuff and be darned sure that you are putting the cabinet (or whatever) exactly where you want it. There is NO chance to square things up if you get them a bit off level or square, so rig a temporary shelf to get the cab level and properly positioned so all you have to do is slide it back carefully and squarely. I suggest putting it ONLY at sides and corners where you know you will have utility knife access if you ever want/need to cut it out.

4-Star WILL sell parts and raw materials to whoever calls them, they don't quiz you for model, year and serial number. The prices are reasonable, I think the tape was about 95c a foot. Might as well get 20ft. as you'll probably pay a minimum shipping charge anyway.
OK, another plug for 4-Star: If you see hinges, door latches, whatever other fittings and fixtures that you like on a 4-Star trailer, call 'em up and ask for a price. Get the year and model number from the owner if you can and the serial number might help you get the EXACT part.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-12-10 5:13 PM (#33938 - in reply to #33865)

Elite Veteran

Reg and gang-I contacted 4-star. He did not recommend the VHB for anything but metal to metal or metal to plastic. Now, would it work ok but he didn't feel comfortable saying so because that's not a recommended usage? I don't know. I can't see why it wouldn't work fine, but have never used it yet so....
Distarte
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2005-12-10 6:48 PM (#33945 - in reply to #33865)

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.  I ended up hanging the cabinet on two metal hollow wall anchors and then using some self drilling metal screws through the back of it.  It seems very secure and I even got it centered and level.  I then hung up a coat rack under it and it looks great.  Thanks again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)