'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
mane is brittle and breaks off easily

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-06 5:19 PM
17 replies, 7332 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ruth
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-11-29 8:56 PM (#33589)
Subject: mane is brittle and breaks off easily

I own a peruvian paso and this past year his mane seems much more brittle and does not seem to grow. What supplement or topical treatment would you suggest.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-11-30 6:46 AM (#33595 - in reply to #33589)
Subject: RE: mane is brittle and breaks off easily

Elite Veteran

Do you comb the mane with a brush or mane comb? I was told to always use your fingers to comb out manes and tails as the hairs don't break as easily that way.  I'd also try using hair conditioners (I tend to use human products) as they aren't usually as costly.  As far as supplements, good grain and hay is really the key, but you could check the various catalogs and see what looks good to you. 

If the mane gets alot of sun (bleaching) it will also make it more brittle.

Ruth
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-11-30 7:11 AM (#33596 - in reply to #33589)

Thank you for your response. Yes I only use my fingers to untangle his mane. I never use a comb. I really used a lot of cowboy majic detangler this past year and I'm wondering if that has been the culprit. It seems to have a lot of grease and silicone in it. It works great for the moment but a day later, his mane seems dry and brittle again. Have you tried a "leave-on" conditioner for people? On the supplements, I give him an all-round vit. supplement and really good hay and a 12% sweet feed.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-11-30 8:37 AM (#33600 - in reply to #33589)

Elite Veteran

Sounds like the detangler could be the culprit.  There's another thread about manes that offered some advice and might help you out. My horse has a gorgeous mane and tail and I haven't had to use much conditioner, but you could try some out and see how they work.  It's really alot of trial and error to see what works in your situation.  Sounds like food isn't the problem. 

Some horses manes seem to tangle more easily than others.  I know of one horse who's long mane tends to twirl and his owner struggles with untangling all the time.  She started braiding it, but you can't leave the braids in all the time or it causes other issues.  Good luck

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-11-30 12:36 PM (#33609 - in reply to #33589)

Expert

You might try and ad some fat to his diet. Rice ban works well to get a shiny coat and mane.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-30 4:53 PM (#33628 - in reply to #33589)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, cowboy magic does have a "drying" effect to the mane and tail hairs, but it sure is a great product for detangling the hair. A good shampoo and conditioner will help with getting the hair in better shape. I use Pantene products on my horse's tails and manes and it sure does help, not to mention  I like using the stuff on my own hair! 
oregontrailrider
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-12-01 12:03 AM (#33640 - in reply to #33589)

I would try flax seed or a supplement high in flax seed.  I've had great results with it both in hair coat condition and adding extra weight to hard keepers.
Ruth
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-12-01 6:44 AM (#33644 - in reply to #33589)

flax seed sounds like a promising option but this guy does NOT need to add any weight, That is why I haven't considered added fats/oils to his diet.....
Ruth
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-12-01 6:48 AM (#33646 - in reply to #33644)

flax seed sounds like a promising option but this guy does NOT need any weight. I've not added any fat/oil to his diet for that reason....
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-02 10:17 PM (#33694 - in reply to #33589)

Expert

Add some powdered milk to his feed, it adds Biotin and won't give him extra calories.  You may not see improvements for months but stick with it.  You must treat the problem from within the horse.  No external treatment will improve his condition.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-12-02 10:20 PM (#33696 - in reply to #33589)

if you take a spray bottle full of water and put in some kind of leave in conditioner and then spray the mane and tail (until its quite wet) with it each time you pull your fingers through it or brush it the mane and tail will grow longer in a short amount of time (my horse completely regrew her mane in 6 months) that way youll have a longer mane at least!
Ruth
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-12-04 10:56 PM (#33745 - in reply to #33589)

Thank you everyone for all your input. I think my problem has been an excessive use of cowboy magic. It does work great for untangling a mane but I was using it every day... I bought some creme conditioner (the leave-in kind) and along with a supplement for hair and coat I think by this spring I will see a much improved mane. Thanks again, Ruth
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-12-13 7:12 AM (#34005 - in reply to #33589)

Regular

I'm late postin on this but i agree with what some of the others say the detangler here is the culprit. Skip using it and use a conditioner/water spray on mis does the same job pretty much and moisturizes the mane and all instead of drying it out.  This sounds silly but ummm have also used mayonaise straight on the mane and tail once in awhile to give it a deep conditioning. A particularly dry mane and tail literally soak up  the oils in it. Leave it on for about 5-10 minutes then rinse. Works pretty good and keeps things very soft and shiny.( works on very dry human hair too...lol got the idea from my sis ..she's a hairstylist and some of the products they use for very deep moisturizing are basicly mayonaise..) aAnywho laters and good luck.

Lively

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-12-22 4:33 AM (#34310 - in reply to #33589)

Veteran

You might try a product from Shapleys (sp) called M-T-G or M-G-T , can't remember which it is. It will grow the hair out longer too. Most tack stores can get it.
Ruth
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-12-27 9:21 PM (#34441 - in reply to #33589)

I remember reading about mayo on dry hair. I might try that idea when the weather warms up enough that I can wash and rinse his mane. I am now using a leave-in conditioner and I must say his mane and forelock is soaking it up. I would like to find out what the m-g-t or m-t-g is. A supplement or a product you put on the hair?? Thanks again, Ruth
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-12-28 10:21 AM (#34457 - in reply to #33589)

Veteran

MTG by Shapley's is a product that is very oily but many people swear by it. I personally have found the leave in conditioners to be the best. MTG is very greasy, smelly, and seems to attract dirt and debris which gets the tail dirty and dries it out more. My gelding ribbed his tail worse with MTG because of all the dirt it attracted and made him itch.

Another product I absolutely LOVE is "Love That Tail" conditioner. It is a leave in conditioner that is full of moisterizers. You can get it at many tack stores, including State Line Tack. Your hands will be buttery soft after using it - better than any lotion I have ever found.

devon91
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-06 9:47 AM (#35008 - in reply to #33589)

I fond that the aussie line of products for humans is awsome on horse hair, my TB has a crappy tail that is always tangled and breaks easily, I just use the conditions let it sit a minute and then rinse. His tail feels so soft. I also started using a supplement from Smart pak equine (which I love, just peel on dump no measuring!!!!) it is Gleam and Gain, it helps with coat, mane, tail and even with body fat. It only runs me about 17.00 a month. Plus they have many more to chose from.

Melissa

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-06 5:19 PM (#35030 - in reply to #33600)

Regular

I was a part of the other thread on manes. :) I've never used cowboy majik but if it has silicone in it, that's probably part of the problem. Which brand of feed are you using? It sounds like you have him on a good feed program but some feeds are better than others.

My horses have the same "natty dred-locks" problem that Dunoir described (long manes, they love to roll around in the dirt) so, what did I do? I use Afro Sheen! Actually, I use African Pride "Miracle Gro". I think that's the name. (check out that other thread, we really went into a lot of detail.) but It's definately African Pride. This stuff really works great! Gives it sheen and detangles but one thing I found out is that in cold weather it gets clumpy...BUT when the weather warms up the sheen and the health really comes out. It's a great conditioner. Just dont be discouraged if the weather turns cold and they have a waxy build up. It's actually a good protector from the elements.

I also put about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil or safflower oil w/ Vitamin E in their feed (the Safflower is made by Hollywood brands, it's hard to find but REALLY works.) Just makes sure whatever oil you use doesnt contain canola. ;)

Good luck. A great mane is a pleasure. Those horse products stink , the are full of silicone and ridiculously expensive. It's amazing what you can find in the African american section! And the savings are to die for. ;(They take us horse owners for such suckers. And we are.)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)