'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Problem bitting a gelding

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-08 8:54 PM
17 replies, 4600 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Perry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-11-28 12:07 PM (#33514)
Subject: Problem bitting a gelding

This 3 yo QH refuses a bit (snaffle). The owner got him back from a trainer and since then, he raises his head and it takes two people working with him to put the bit in his mouth.  Once it's in, he is fine. I suspect he's had a bad experience from someone.  We've loosened the head stall, thumb in the corner of the lip, all the right procedures, with no improvement.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-28 3:38 PM (#33523 - in reply to #33514)
Subject: RE: Problem bitting a gelding

Veteran

First, you might want to make sure he doesn't have any problems with his teeth causing a bit to be painful. If you can rule out a physical problem, then it sounds like he had the bit forced in there at the trainers and wants no part of it now. I would suggest starting back at square one. Spend some time just getting the gelding to comfortably open his mouth when you ask. Stick one finger in the side and just leave it there. Don't press down, just let your finger sit there on his tongue. The minute he opens his mouth, remove your finger. If he won't open using one finger, gradually start to add a finger at a time. Eventually, he will get tired of the fingers in there and open. Once he opens his mouth easily and every time you ask, start putting a lead rope in there so he gets used to something being in there but not hurting going in. Once he accepts the lead rope with no problems, graduate to a bit being very careful not to hit his teeth. You can even put a little molasses or honey on the bit to make it more appealing for the horse.
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-11-28 4:14 PM (#33525 - in reply to #33514)

Regular

GREAT advice from Champhorse.

Your boy is now 3 and could very well be having some tooth issues - does he still have his wolf teeth or maybe they are just now coming in?  They play havoc with any kind of bit

I would also bet that someone was not nice to him when putting the bit in or taking it out.  Trainers can often get impatient and resort to being rough because "time is money" and they need to get their job done so they can move on to the next horse

Once you've resolved that his teeth are fine, CHAMPhorse gave you some terrific re-training ideas.

Just be sure to reserve lots of time and don't plan on un-doing the damage in even a few days.

If the issues don't clear up, there's always a hackamore or a bitless bridle unless you need a bit for showing

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-11-29 12:55 AM (#33546 - in reply to #33514)

Regular

Yep I agree great advice there. You might also want to try one of those happy mouth apple flavored bits ( I know sounds nuts) but they actually do taste like apple a lil bit. (I'm blonde it said apple flavored when i bought it so i had to see). As was said if it wasn't his teeth its probably where someone got impatient and jammed the bit in his mouth.

Good luck and best wishes. I wouldn't advise reusing the trainer again.

~Ree

Perry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-11-29 12:16 PM (#33562 - in reply to #33514)

Very good advice and will begin the "startover" process today.  Had his mouth and teeth checked a couple of days ago by my vet, so okay there.  Thanks for the help, everyone.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-11-29 4:12 PM (#33574 - in reply to #33514)

Extreme Veteran

I'll just relay my experiances with this problem.

I had this problem with my filly - she started out taking the bit fine - I then tried a side pull - liked her responces to it better (when first breaking her) so I used it for a while - she then would not take the bit... I could only get it in her mouth with a bit of a fight. Then she was fine - worked well with it, she will not tolerate much contact - she's like that with the side pull too (she'll give to the bit/side pull and collect - but requests her head back when she complies) So back to the side pull - had her checked - no teeth issues.

At this point I was using a copper D ring snaffle, one I'd used on young horses before. So I tried a regular single joint snaffle - same thing. So i bought a french link (had never used one before) and tried it - after the frist ride she got better and better to bit - as also worked well with that bit - I now have no problems. I continue to use both the bit and the side pull - I just mix it up, but I use the side pull for long trail rides... she seems more comfortable with it over a long period of time.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-11-29 8:00 PM (#33587 - in reply to #33562)

Regular

Glad you've had his teeth checked out. I had the same problem with my Arab (classic Arab behavior.)  Have you tried dipping the bit in molasses before you put it in? Sometimes the most simple solutions are the best.

I also switched to a french link snaffle for my mare, who also hated her bit. She loved the French link, never gave me a problem after that.

Time and patience goes a really long way & the carrot (or in this case molasses) works way better than the stick.

Good luck and let us know what finally works.

relay101
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-30 2:53 PM (#33617 - in reply to #33514)

Veteran

I have the exact same problem except my horse is a 17h stallion. He did fine for years and then suddenly developed an aversion to the bit. Teeth checked out fine. The molasses worked great at first. I just put some in a ziploc bag and then rubbed the bit in it. It takes coordination and patience. He got the hang of quickly licking the bit and then throwing up his head. Keep your patience because if the horse doesn't want to take the bit he isn't. I then turned to sweet feed. I put a small bit in my left hand and began to bridle as usual. He couldn't get the feed without going through the bit. Good luck.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-02 10:29 PM (#33699 - in reply to #33514)

Expert

Honey also works great and can be controlled better in a squeeze bottle.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-12-04 11:35 AM (#33734 - in reply to #33514)

You might wish to use the Mark Rashid method of putting a soft rope to his lips...then take it away...then have him hold the rope in his mouth and so on.  The previous posts were all excellent.  I wondered about the apple floavored bits but haven't tried one.  We use the latex wrapping to cover bits when we are startiing  or re working a horse who has bit issues...  patience and more patience...
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-12-04 4:56 PM (#33741 - in reply to #33734)

Regular

Good one. You might also want to try putting the leather from the reins in their mouth (or the end of the lead line). Just let them sort of knaw on it for a few seconds when they're calm and relaxed. It's harmless to the reins and gets them used to having something in their mouths.
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-12-27 10:00 PM (#34443 - in reply to #33514)

Veteran

I too have used honey on the bit with good results.  Also there are rubber coated bits that I have seen in State Line Tack catalog that some folks swear by. 

Anne0135 .... I have Arabs too, know where you are coming from.  I read with interest about the french link snaffle you have used, I will keep that in mind this spring when I start breaking my 4yr old.  Thanks.

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-12-28 11:03 AM (#34458 - in reply to #34443)

Regular

Beth, you have Arabs? Then you are familiar with the "how to bitt a kangaroo' routine. ;)  It's such fun.

I've seen the rubber bits and was going to go in that direction but I went with the french link instead. My mouthy arab mare who hated the snaffle (how do you hate a snaffle bitt?? she's such a drama queen.) Anyway, she actually took a liking to this french link. You'd think she was having a love affair with the thing.  

Honestly, it's a really great bit (now she just hates her figure 8 bridle) but that's another story. she's a bolter so that's going to stay until she reaches her next birthday.

By the way, loved your quote, from the other thread, "there is no right way to do the wrong thing." Amen.

Anne

Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-02 10:32 PM (#34763 - in reply to #33514)

Veteran

Thanks........I love that quote too.....it just about says it all doesn't it?  Also, I think there is a genetic link between Arabians and kangaroos !

Let me add something to this thread that I came across the other day.  I have been training a young 4 yr old Morgan for some folks along with their 12 yr old daughter.  This horse is very hard to bit also but I believe that he has wolf teeth that have not emerged yet but are just enough under the skin to cause him irritation when bridling.  This horse is from an old Morgan bloodline and he also has a nice pair of canine teeth.  I have not seen canine teeth in a horse since my old pony died when I was a kid.  Anne, do you think there is a connection?

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-06 11:09 AM (#35011 - in reply to #34763)

Regular

Beth, I now think there is also a genetic link between camels! My friend saw me feeding one the other day and as he (the horse) was vacuuming up a handful of feed off the scoop he said, "look at his lip, he's got a lip like a camel!" Ho ho ho. I wanted to clock him. A camel??? This is an Arab, you moron! Then I thought about it. Have you ever checked out their lips when they're Hoovering something up?? He does have a point, sadly. Not a every glamorous one, I might add. ;)

As far as your Morgan problem. Yes I would say it could definately be the teeth. Your instincts are probably right in that he is sore. Although at 4 his wolf teeth should have already come in, no? I'm not sure how it is with Morgans but I'd think he'd be past that by now and you might he dealing with his molars.

Also, I have never seen a horse with canines. That's very unique. ;) Have you had the owners have  a "horse dentist" come look at him? Tell them that they must! You can also call a vet but only if they are certified in dentistry. THere are some real hacks out there ("Oh sure, I can float their teeth.") They do real damage.

If you see the canines, they are probably sharp and probably need to be filed down. (Run your finger over the tooth in question and see if it feels like theres a sharp edge jutting out.) I know my mare has a molar that is now coming in sharp so I have to get my vet in to file it down. $$$$ One thing a friend of mine does is feed her horses whole corn. It acts like a "sander." I'm afraid my horses would colic but it might work on that morgan.

Let me know what happens.

Also, take a look at this link. I just did a quick search:  http://www.yourhorseshealth.com/health_care/dental_care.html.  let me know what happens. :)

Anne

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-07 9:52 PM (#35094 - in reply to #33514)

Veteran

I would still suspect teeth.....most vets do not know squat about teeth problems.  (If you doubt me, ask your vet how many hours of study they had on the horses' mouth, teeth, etc in vet school.....)  I've seen way too many vets miss retained caps, fractured teeth, & sissor sharp edges on teeth. 
AppyRider
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-08 4:03 AM (#35097 - in reply to #33514)

I agree with AbbyB re: teeth. I'd been leary of using the dentist because it seemed that some of them got a little carried away with "power tools" and caused some problems. When my horse started spitting up pieces of carrot an hour after eating it, I didn't even suspect teeth because I'd had his teeth floated 6 mths earlier by a vet. The dentist I used had me feel how razor-sharp the edges were, the incisors were poking into his fatter-than-normal tongue, and I felt the row of nickel size calouses (ulcers) inside his cheeks from front to back. He did a mild "bit seat," rounding the front edge of those teeth right behind the bit. I learned that a low pallet can cause some horses to be uncomfortable with a snaffle, and that a young horse's teeth and mouth change rapidly and need to be checked every six months. I really hadn't wanted to have a $250 dental bill, but it was worth it and my horse seems quieter with his mouth.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-08 8:54 PM (#35145 - in reply to #35097)

Veteran

Originally written by AppyRider on 2006-01-08 4:03 AM

I agree with AbbyB re: teeth. I'd been leary of using the dentist because it seemed that some of them got a little carried away with "power tools" and caused some problems. When my horse started spitting up pieces of carrot an hour after eating it, I didn't even suspect teeth because I'd had his teeth floated 6 mths earlier by a vet. The dentist I used had me feel how razor-sharp the edges were, the incisors were poking into his fatter-than-normal tongue, and I felt the row of nickel size calouses (ulcers) inside his cheeks from front to back. He did a mild "bit seat," rounding the front edge of those teeth right behind the bit. I learned that a low pallet can cause some horses to be uncomfortable with a snaffle, and that a young horse's teeth and mouth change rapidly and need to be checked every six months. I really hadn't wanted to have a $250 dental bill, but it was worth it and my horse seems quieter with his mouth.
+

p.s.  be sure to contact a certified, legit DENTIST w/proper training - not some fly-by-night who thought it'd be cool to work w/power tools or your shoer who thought it's easy to "float" teeth.  Get references.  There are GREAT ones out there, just as there are idiots....

Edited by AbbyB 2006-01-08 8:57 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)