'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Winterize trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-01 1:41 AM
7 replies, 3502 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-11-26 7:47 PM (#33453)
Subject: Winterize trailer

Expert

So what do you folks  ( in Cold climates) do to winterize your trailers?  This is my 1st LQ and I'm in the learning stages.

It's about to turn cold here, so I need to get after it.  I have drained my water lines. By just letting the pump run until the faucets where just spitting and sputtering.  Open the drain valve on my water heater and again ran the pump to push out any water.  I'll put some RV anitfreeze down my drains to protect the P-Trap.

I use my trailer to haul the horses weekly. So the batteries should  stays charged just from being hooked up to the truck every week. I've shut ff the propane. But I'll probably turn it on once in a while and run my heater to help melt the snow off the roof.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-26 8:40 PM (#33455 - in reply to #33453)
Subject: RE: Winterize trailer

Extreme Veteran

"It's about to turn cold here, so I need to get after it.  I have drained my water lines. By just letting the pump run until the faucets where just spitting and sputtering.  Open the drain valve on my water heater and again ran the pump to push out any water.  I'll put some RV anitfreeze down my drains to protect the P-Trap."

Yep, me too . That's all about I did to mine except I did take out any perishable foods or things that really shouldn't get frozen. I also cleaned out the horse area good. I don't use my trailer for the winter, so just tucked it away in our storage barn, trailer hibernation.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-26 8:55 PM (#33458 - in reply to #33453)

Expert

I drain the fresh water tank too.  Then I use the tube that is near the fresh water tank to fill the lines with RV antifreeze.  I stick the tube into the antifreeze, open the faucets, and turn on the pump until pink comes out of the faucets and the toilet.

Edited by hav2ride 2005-11-26 8:56 PM
Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-11-27 10:09 AM (#33466 - in reply to #33453)

Regular

I think what hay2ride is saying, is take the hose that connects the fresh water tank to the pump off & run the anti-freeze thru the pump too.  This is a MUST or you could end up w/iced pump & ruin it.  (UNLESS you have the whole system blown out).  Plus, by running it thru your lines & out the faucets, it gets it completely thru your system to avoid any freezing in any of the lines.  The first time I winterized mine, I didn't know any better & put the antifreeze in the fresh water tank & pumped it thru - YUCK!  What a mess to get it completely flushed out of the tank in the spring!   (I never drink water from that tank - but you could feel the residue!)  I take the shower head off when I do this, too - & put it in the sink.  Don't want that crap in it & it will drain completely if you set it up in the sink.  I also wash all my rugs, bedding, etc & put them in bags for spring.....throw the comforter over the bed, & put a box of baking soda in the fridge.  Then  come spring, it's pretty simple to get it ready to camp in again!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-11-27 1:30 PM (#33471 - in reply to #33453)

Expert

Thanks for the thoughts.  I don't have a fridge or stove in mine. Just a weekend package that includes toilet, sink and shower.  So I'm more interested in what others are doing with the Pink RV antifreeze.

I took out all the canned goods and bottles. ( dish soap etc)  I left dry goods, bags of jerky, granola bars etc, just in case I get hungry on a ride. Most of my winter rides are within 20-30 minutes of the house. So I don't go far.

Snickers
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-28 11:03 AM (#33509 - in reply to #33453)

Veteran

Appears most all who have replied have you pretty much covered. I do not pump the antifreeze thru the hot water heater. If the plumbing was correctly installed you should be able to bypass the hot water heater. While draining the water heater it's a good time to check the condition of the anode rod and replace if necessary. I always use much more antifreeze than I probably have to but feel that it's cheap insurance compared to trying to replace broken water lines.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-28 5:01 PM (#33530 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Yep, don't fill the hot water tank with antifreeze.  There should be a shut off valve that is closed before the tank is drained to prevent the antifreeze from getting in the tank.  And it is a very good idea to replace the rod when it gets pretty pitted.  Good suggestion!
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-12-01 1:41 AM (#33642 - in reply to #33453)

Veteran

I just had my winterized and they told me to leave to plug out of the hot water heater. Makes sense, as you can't get all the water out and what is still in there will have to expand when it freezes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)