'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sundowner Valuelite trailers

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-23 3:02 PM
28 replies, 11680 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

oregontrailrider
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-11-19 8:03 PM (#33265)
Subject: Sundowner Valuelite trailers

Saw the post about Exiss LQ trailers - I am considering buying an used Sundowner Valuelite trailer w/ LQ = any opinions on the these trailers.  Also anyone one have one with the smooth aluminum over steel frame?  Was wondering if they hold up in damp weather conditions as far as rust to the frame.  Are the stalls big enough for a large QH weighing 1300 lbs.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-11-19 11:29 PM (#33275 - in reply to #33265)
Subject: RE: Sundowner Valuelite trailers

i own a sundowner and they are one of the best made trailers we have ever owned. as for the stall question yes they should be wide enough length depending on how long the horse is our tail wall is starting to get rub marks on it.

beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-11-20 11:39 AM (#33280 - in reply to #33265)

Sundowner changed process of their steel framed trailers about 2 years ago, and reanamed them 727, as the "Valuelites" were rusting from the inside out. (I've seen several personally). Ask Sundowner dealers in your area for honest answers.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-20 1:55 PM (#33281 - in reply to #33265)

Expert

See private messages.
I think moving from a 4_Star to ANYTHING by Sundowner would be a serious and regrettable downgrade. Yes, I am biased/prejudiced, but it is reasonably well founded (-:

Edited by Reg 2005-11-20 2:01 PM
RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-20 10:20 PM (#33289 - in reply to #33281)

Veteran

Get in there all of ya!  Don't miss a chance to bash those Sundowners!

Throw in a few jabs at the Brenderups if there is any way to work it in.

I just love all that bashing that doesn't take into account how the product was maintained/cleaned . . . like they are all falling apart while they are being pulled off the dealer lot.

Edited by RollinPonies 2005-11-20 10:31 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-21 12:01 AM (#33290 - in reply to #33289)

Expert

Originally written by RollinPonies on 2005-11-20 10:20 PM

Get in there all of ya!  Don't miss a chance to bash those Sundowners!

Throw in a few jabs at the Brenderups if there is any way to work it in.

I just love all that bashing that doesn't take into account how the product was maintained/cleaned . . . like they are all falling apart while they are being pulled off the dealer lot.

This isn't "bashing", a question was asked, it got answers.
There is not a way to clean or "maintain" between the inner and outer wall skins. It is a cavity that is not sealed. The o/p has reservations about placing it in a damp, salt laden environment. One should expect condensation, the consequence of dissimilar metals in contact will be electro-galvanic action, etc.

The fact that something SELLS is sometimes more an indicator of the gullibilty of the buyer than the value of the product.

Edited by Reg 2005-11-21 7:10 AM
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-21 7:29 AM (#33294 - in reply to #33265)

Veteran

Well I have had 4 Star trailers since 1993. I have had friends with Sundowners who had had major problems with doors falling off after less than 10 hours travel from the dealer. The Sundowners drop down windows are not in line. It takes two hands to close them. When do we ever have two FREE hands to close a window. The sundowners are also styled with the back doors so it takes two hands to open them and both doors have to be open to get to the tack. This easily could create a problem if you just want in the rear tack and have a young horse in the trailer who is nervous when you open the door. I don't think Sundownner has planned well for the consumer. They have planned well to sell the trailer....not to help the consumer. I had a steel Sundowner Sportman and loved the styling but even though I took excellent cre of it and kept it under a car port, it started rusting in 3 years. THERE IS NO COMPARISON BEWTEEN THE 4 STAR AND SUNDOWNER. One is custom made and the other on a production line. You will be sorry if you move from a 4 Star to Sundowner. That is moving from the Cadillac to the Chevy
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-21 10:35 AM (#33297 - in reply to #33265)

Extreme Veteran

"That is moving from the Cadillac to the Chevy "

Now let's not bring Chevy into the picture........then the bashing war would start on the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge.

We all have our opinions and experiences on different brands of trailers. I have found it amazing how much Sundowner (and Bison) have gotten so bashed on this forum.

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-21 10:58 AM (#33298 - in reply to #33265)

Veteran

mfarmbabe
I would think the writers on these forums are across the board horse trailer owners. I know I told the truth about my experience with Sundowner. I would think the others would be telling the truth too. Stuff like an excape door falling off on a new trailer would be hard to make up. Who would ever think it would happen. Not me until I saw it.

Maybe the two trailer brands are not up to par with other brands.
orangeoval
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-21 2:18 PM (#33302 - in reply to #33265)

Every one does have there own expeirences with trailers they all have personally owned.  I believe sundowner to be the best trailer period...  Not only for the money but just the best trailer on the road.  And as far as Sundowner bashing, well yea its pretty easy to do that...  because they are the one on top producing nearly 120 quality built trailers a week.  I figure that they get bashed because everyone guess's since they build so many, that they can take it (the bashing).  And they do, take it any way because anyone who is properly educacted on sundowner would have to agree that they only build one quality, the best.  Nothing against 4-star, elite, bloomer, what ever the trailer they are all good folks and all build trailers for one reason, the demand from the consumers, guess sundowners demand is great, just take a look at all the trailers they manufactor.
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-21 3:08 PM (#33307 - in reply to #33265)

Veteran

Well, having owned both a Sundowner and a 4 Star, I guess I would consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on this. I will have to say, I was happy with my 1997 Sundowner. It was a solid trailer and served me well. It did have some pretty bad rusting in a few areas, but I bought the trailer used so I cannot comment on the care prior to owning it. When I decided to get a new trailer, the first place I looked was Sundowner. I will have to say that I was somewhat disappointed in the quality of the new trailers compared to some of the other brands on the market. After lots of research and visiting many trailer lots, I decided on a 4 Star. In my opinion, the quality of the 4 Star was noticeable better than Sundowner and the price was better than a Sundowner. It made my decision easy. Someone else had mentioned some specifics on features as well. It seems like a lot of other manufacturers have put some thought and engineering into the trailer features that Sundowner has not. All the little things that make hauling easier are a definite plus for me and Sundowner is behind the industry in a lot of those.

I do think Sundowner makes a good trailer, but it was not the hgihest quality for the price when I purchased a few months ago.

Edited by Champhorse 2005-11-21 3:10 PM
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-21 6:04 PM (#33309 - in reply to #33307)

Extreme Veteran

4 Star is all aluminum and the steel Sundowner you are comparing was all steel(You also mention this trailer developed rust in a 3 year time frame, well how used was it when you bought it to begin with?). Huge difference!! So when you compare a Sundowner Valuelite to say a 4 Star, you can't compare! The Sundower is steel/alumy and the 4 Star is all alumy.

The only negatives I have heard, actually read about Sundowner were on the internet, through message boards. I haven't heard anything from people in person that own them. Not that I don't believe some of the stuff I read, but I wonder. Could be that there are so many Sundowners out there being used and some things can go wrong, so you will hear more. Kind of like hearing how many things go wrong with minivans, well have you noticed how many GD minivans there are on the road?

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-21 6:35 PM (#33311 - in reply to #33265)

Veteran

mfarmbabe

I bought the Sundowner steel trailer new and kept it parked under shelter when not in use and cleaned it often and waxed it twice a year. It still showed rust pretty bad. The handle on one of the back doors also came off and had to be replaced.

The Sundowner trailer that I had experience with was my friedn's. My horse was in the trailer when the escape door hinges fell off. My horse was in the trailer when it took two hands to close the windows because they did not fit. It also took two hands to open them and a lot of strength. ( This trailer had been hauled less than 300 miles from the dealer when those things happened. The owner now has a 4 Star trailer.)

How more first hand to you want.
oregontrailrider
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-11-21 10:52 PM (#33318 - in reply to #33265)

Thanks for all the comments I've gotten about 4 Star versus Valuelite Sundowner - because I live on the coast with alot of rain I'm thinking it's best that I stay with all aluminum.  I don't want to set myself up for problems down the road with rust.  If anyone knows of a 4 Star GN -  2H with a weekender package reasonably priced please let me know.

Thanks!

chris herron
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-11-22 8:31 AM (#33321 - in reply to #33302)

I believe that sundowner is a cookie cutter company. Anyone can produce 120 trailers if all they build are a certain style, not custom. I looked at every trailer manufacturer at congress this year and I could tell a big difference in the quality and structural integrity in all the trailers. There are top name brands and also not so top name brands. Pulling safety and horse safety are the main things that everyone should be concerned with. A nice LQ is just a luxury. Rust causes the structural integrity to be not the safest so thats one thing that needs to be taken into consideration when purchasing a new trailer. Welds and huck rivets also need to be looked at. The bottom line is, look at the trailer for the safety of you and your horses.

orangeoval
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-22 10:40 AM (#33324 - in reply to #33265)

See heres the thing, as everyone should know there is no such thing as an all alum trailer right, axles, axle boxes, neck assemblies ect...  Why do you suppose all trailer mfgs use steel neck assemblies, axles, and boxes?  Yea the majority of the mfgs trailers all alumn, like sundowner as well.  Also something to keep in mind here is something that you may not even know, the trailers that everyone compares sundowner to is the valuelite or the 727 (steel super structure with alum skin) why not compare apples to apples, meaning the 720 or 725 what the industry calls all alum model. 
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-22 3:07 PM (#33335 - in reply to #33265)

Veteran

I have owned 4 4 star trailers over 12 years. I have also been aquainted with an all alum. Sundowner. I bought two of my 4 stars used and ordered two in. I have had no problem with the 4 Stars but my friedn had the hinges (plural) fall off of the escape door when his trailer had less than 300 miles on it. He also culd not close the drop down windows on it without using two hands. That wa becasue the windows did not fit.

These are pretty servious things to go wrong with a barnd new trailer. The friend sold the trailer and ordered in a new 4 Star and is thrilled.
orangeoval
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-22 3:33 PM (#33338 - in reply to #33265)

ok ok, my friend this and my friend that, those conversations will go on forever.  Fact sundowner builds and constructs their own doors, so my guess is the reason it took two hands to shut it is that they had to hold the latch open and shut the drop down door, probably because when they slammed it shut it just bounced back at them.  Well here is a secret that will fix that, WD-40 on the latch, squirt a little of it on the plungger itself and watch, it shuts like momma's cadillac's door.  Second the door hinges, look at the new trailers (2004 and newer).  The hinges used to be made on black pot metal, yea they broke, since they are now stainless, they dont break, fixes that challenge too.  Here is something to chew on, welded on hinges, I have personally oh yea (and my friend) had hinges freeze up on drop down windows or the rear doors seize up with horses in the trailer, what do you do next, cant get them out.  Heres what happens you jerk the door around long enough that there it goes the hinge or hinges that were frooze up just broke, or take a grinder or cut off saw and cut those hinges off.  I am sure that looks factory when they have to re-weld those back on (right).  But that sundowner remember it is bolted on, easy to replace or take off.  This could and will probably go on forever, just remember this who holds the largest market share in the trailer business, sundowner does that cant be because people are having trouble with their trailers.
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-22 3:39 PM (#33340 - in reply to #33265)

Veteran

Yes the trailer was older than 2004 and the hinges were black.

I believe if you will remember back when the aluminums became popular, Sundowner had by far the best offer for trailer loans. That has a lot to do with their market share, not the quality of their products.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-22 3:57 PM (#33342 - in reply to #33265)

Extreme Veteran

I love the Sundowner ramps.. nice and easy to pick up.  I am not fond of their windows, at the time I looked at them, the drop downs had the latches at the top and the trailers were too tall for me to get to them easily. This could be said about all trailers.

The thing I didn't like about the 4 Stars were that the ramp was too heavy, the step ups were too high, so I would need a ramp for the trailer.  The other thing I didn't like is the size of the windows in the trailer.  They are probably the smallest of all the trailers out there.  Maybe that is why their windows don't fall off, but none the less, I like light in the trailers.

I also like the 4 Star latches.  But when all was said and done, I bought a Trailet because I like the windows in the trailer, the bulkhead window.. I bought a straight load because my hubs 17 hand TB didn't fit in the slants --or it seemed she was too long for even the wider ones.

I would buy a 4 Star tomorrow if they had bigger windows, but since they seem to have those tiny ones that keep the inside of the trailer darker appearing, I will have to wait.

Hope you are listening 4 Star...!!!!

Jbsny

orangeoval
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-22 4:17 PM (#33343 - in reply to #33265)

sable812,

What, sundowner by far had the best loans, that is a first, no mfg really offers any type of financing.  The mfgs can point you in the right direction for a loan officer, but have no say in any type in rate or term.  MFG's are not banks, they are trailer mfg's, personal and nationally recongnized banks determine financing, not mfg's

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-22 7:54 PM (#33348 - in reply to #33265)

Veteran

orange

Yes Sundowner was the first to advertise their trailers for sale with 5 year finanacing then 10 year then 15 year. Other trailers were not financed as long as Sundowners. The Sundowners had better marketing. Maybe this was before your time. I have watched and bought trailers for a long time. Heck I remember seeing my frist slant load and wondering how it would work out.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-11-23 8:25 AM (#33360 - in reply to #33265)

Elite Veteran

And what is so hilarious, with all of the rhetoric from Orange Oval about Sundowner being the only decent trailer, I just saw a $125,000+ Bloomer that he just listed that he describes as "better than anything". C'mon, now which is it? Bolted hinges, or welded hinges- you gotta decide to stand for something, or allow that there just may be a lot of good companies out there. Shoot, Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors and I still can't find one I want!
H1
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-11-23 10:49 AM (#33364 - in reply to #33324)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by orangeoval on 2005-11-22 10:40 AM

See heres the thing, as everyone should know there is no such thing as an all alum trailer right, axles, axle boxes, neck assemblies ect...  Why do you suppose all trailer mfgs use steel neck assemblies, axles, and boxes?  Yea the majority of the mfgs trailers all alumn, like sundowner as well.  Also something to keep in mind here is something that you may not even know, the trailers that everyone compares sundowner to is the valuelite or the 727 (steel super structure with alum skin) why not compare apples to apples, meaning the 720 or 725 what the industry calls all alum model. 

The reason for that is that the 727 is in the same price range as many of the "all" aluminum trailers from other brands... So are you suggesting that in order to expect the same level of quality we have to compare "apples to apples" which in Sundowner also means spending more money? No thanks.

On your comments about bolt on hinges being better because you can remove the door easier if it gets stuck....???? um, I'd rather buy a trailer that will not trap my horses with stuck doors thank you. And when you buy a new Caddy you don't have to WD-40 the doors before they work - maybe with a bit of age on it - but not off the lot.... that is not quality IMO - there are lots of products that you can make better when you get it home - but given a choice of a a product I'll have to tweak and one I don't for the same money - I'll go for the one that works just fine off the lot.

And the "black" hinges did break... but they build them different now - great - but what of the poor suckers that bought before 2004 - did the company do a recall or do those people just have to hope the things break before the warrenty is up? And what kinds of injuries had occured to doors falling off - to horses or people - how was that handled?.... I think I'll take my chances on a company that has never let trailers out the door with doors that may or may not fall off.

Seesh - it's one thing when you are hearing about and "friend of a friend's" experiance over the internet - you take it with a grain of salt and check into those things yourself - but when a dealer is trying to defend the product with that kind of logic - that makes me worried. Though - don't worry you didn't lose a customer - I bought another brand that I felt gave me more quality and value.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-23 11:41 AM (#33365 - in reply to #33364)

Expert

i like my grease fittings, just part of the PM routine. and did i understand that post to say he jerked the door around until the frozen hinge broke? im not sure what bothers me more about that one. however a bolt on hinge does make more sense to me, easier to replace when damaged or worn out.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-11-23 11:45 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)