'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
abcess

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-10 3:45 PM
23 replies, 6848 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jreed
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-11-16 9:48 PM (#33155)
Subject: abcess

I have a 6 yr old mare that has an abcess. I took her to the vet and he did xrays and medicated with magna poultice. My mare is in extreme pain and I hate to see her experience this, is there a home remedy I can used to speed up this process? Also, he did dig a small hole for drainage.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-11-16 10:20 PM (#33161 - in reply to #33155)
Subject: RE: abcess

Elite Veteran

Soak in hot Epsom salt water until the water cools. TWICE A DAY if you can!  Use a sterile syringe with a long tip and squirt some salt water up into the hole.  Dry well and apply Ichthamol to the sole, cover with either a clean gauze pad, sanitary pad, or diaper, wrap with vet wrap, and cover the bottom with duct tape.  Be careful not to wrap over the coronet band.  Abcesses can be very stubborn and it takes alot of dedication to treat, and they STILL can take what seems forever to heal.  Keep her up in a stall or in a confined DRY area.  I usually give 1 or 2 gm of Bute twice a day for several days, and maybe sulfa tabs or another antibiotic that the vet reccommends.  Good luck, sounds like you have a long road ahead of you

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-11-17 4:00 PM (#33188 - in reply to #33161)

Regular

jreed, do exactly as N2riding said. I've found that the huggies, ultra-leak 6-12 lbs diapers are the perfect size. ;) I swear, they really fit the hoof perfectly.  After you've done the soaking with epsom salts (3 x a day) put on the Ichthamol and then duct tape the diaperb onto their hoof so nothing gets in or out. It really works. Takes about 3 days but hopefully that absess will break. Don't forget the bute also. (As small a dose as you can get away with, I think I use about a half tab a day for an 1100 lb. horse but check with your vet, I forget.)

Good luck and just be glad it's not a puncture wound. Absesses are a total pain but they can be healed. Just keep it clean, keep soaking & Let us know how it works out.

hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-11-17 4:40 PM (#33190 - in reply to #33155)

Extreme Veteran

Where is the abscess? How big is the pocket? Is the abscess wall thick? Is the "hole" big enough to keep the pocket draining? If not it needs to be. Is the horse isolated? What is the color and texture of the abscess fluid? Is there blood present?

Get a 60cc syringe, mild betadine, and depending on pocket size, a roll of sterile bandage. Flush out the pocket with betadine. If pocket is big enough soak bandage in betadine and pack the pocket. Change and flush daily. Wear gloves when working with the abscess. to reduce the pain use byute or flunixin
jreed
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-11-17 10:34 PM (#33199 - in reply to #33188)

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. I do have a question, what is Ichthamol? and where can I find it. Also what are the instructions to use it. 
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-18 10:10 AM (#33212 - in reply to #33155)

Extreme Veteran

If your vet did not recommend soaking the foot, you should talk to them and find out why. Soaking is pretty standard for an abcess, so I wonder why the vet did not recommend it. If your vet recommends soaking the foot,ask your vet for old IV fuild bags. You can use those to soak the foot in. Just duck tape the around the top. They are tough, and you just throw them out after each soaking.

-Betty
GiddyUpNgo
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2005-11-19 2:20 PM (#33256 - in reply to #33155)

King of the Hill

I use a syringe with iodine to wash out the cavity, and then keep the hoof as dry as possible.   Once the abcess has ruptured, I no longer soak the hoof daily, but instead keep it clean and dry as possible (which has been difficult this year) and medicated with the iodine...   The horse would have be in VERY bad pain before I would medicate with bute (due to creating ulcers), but I have been known to use it on an abcess.

Lastly, and this is my opinion only, but quite a few vets subscribe to the theory of hollowing out around the abcess, and often too large of a hole for my liking, so I try very hard to get it to rupture without their assistanct, and then either I or my farrier will open it a little so I can keep the Iodine in there.

dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-11-28 7:37 PM (#33536 - in reply to #33155)

Regular

HI-My mare had an abcess and we soaked 2x/day with epsom salts and wrapped in baby diaper with a mixture of iodine and sugar. Lots of duct tape to hold this in place. This helps pull the abcess out.  After you see it come out put idodine directly in the hole.  It really worked on my mare.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-12-22 4:51 AM (#34311 - in reply to #33155)

Veteran

I get Horse Journal and they had a very good article on abscess' this month. They recommended using a drawing agent and stated that it could come out at the heel, flaps on the frog or even at the cornet band (I've had one rupture there). 1 cup salts/ 1 gal. hot water (as hot as your horse will stand) up over the cornet band. My mare will stand with her foot in a bucket all day or in a high rubber feed tub.  If yours won't there are soak boots that you can buy out of catalogs.  I also use to clean out the hole (small hole) after the Vet had dug it out and use a toothpick to push a small piece of cotton ball in it. Then pour iodine on it. The cotton would wick the iodine into the hole. This was done after I had soaked the foot. I did not have anyplace to keep the horse up and could not wrap the foot. The Vet suggested this way and it kept out debris till the next soaking. Hope this helps
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-12-22 6:41 AM (#34312 - in reply to #33155)

Veteran

I agree with the treatments of all the posts so far. However, I did learn an important lesson last spring. Our horse abscessed (no history before) for about 5 times in a row. Vet continued to dig small holes out and we did a variety of treatments in addition to the above including penc. shots 2x for 10 days (I hated that), antibotics in feed, antibotics shot up into the holes, etc. Just as the horse got well, he would abscess again. Finally I called our farrier who came out. Well long story short he was much more agressive in cutting into the hoof. In addition to the hole in the bottom (half way between front of frog and front wall) he cut from the front of the hoof into the abscess with a dremel tool. There he found a severe case of white line disease with little black bacteria trails running in and through the white line. He dremeled all of those out. The hoof ended up looking mangeled. You could stick two fingers between the shoe and the hole in the front. The crack he cut in the front made him look like a splay footed cow. However, he was sound to ride the day after the procedure. Hoof has grown back fine. Point being - The vet was not getting deep enough into the hoof to get rid of all of the infection before the small hole sealed over. If you are having concerns maybe having a farrier work with your vet might provide other alternatives.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-12-22 7:22 AM (#34315 - in reply to #33155)

Regular

I'm so sorry to hear about your mare. You got some good advice on here but I dont believe in digging out the hoof.

Standard procedure is soaking 3 x a day in epsom salts and warm water (if the horse wont stand still- mine wont- just keep pouring warm water over the frog with a cloth.) Next pour on Betadine, I also use coppertox, then put on some icthamol (sp?). Wrap it in a diaper. I find that the ultra-leak 8-12 lb. huggies (I think that's the brand) are the perfect size.

The icthamol will draw out the absess. Unless it's a puncture you can usually deal with an absess yourself expecially if you start treating it right away!

Good luck. (My gelding especially loved the pink diaper.  Not. ;) )

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-22 8:19 AM (#34319 - in reply to #33155)

Expert

There is a great alternative to soaking in epsom salts.  Once the abcess is released, either by cutting a drain hole or by breaking out naturally, use a syringe to flush it with warm water and epsom salts and clean the area with Betadine.  Then dip some sterile cotton in hot water and coat it in epsom salts.  Place the cotton directly over the drain hole and conver with sterile gauze that has Ichamol on it.  Pad the area with more cotton and duck tape a premmie diaper onto the hoof, being careful not to put tape on the coronary band.  Leave in place for a day, then change it.  This usually only takes a few days to drain the infection and there is not standing in the salt water which, to me, would just bring dirty water up into the infection site.  We have used this method for many years with fantastic results!
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-12-22 11:51 PM (#34349 - in reply to #34319)

Extreme Veteran

My previous mare stepped on a 4 " nail and it was in her foot for hours before anyone noticed.  The vet dug out the entire area, and used the dremmel as well,  cleaned it thoroughly, packed with betadine soaked cotton, wrapped in vet type wrap and then a burlap sack then duck taped it up.  She looked like she had a bowling ball on her foot.  I gave her penicillin shots every morning for 3 weeks, and oral meds every evening (crushed and put in a large syringe then squirted in like a paste wormer).  We soaked the foot  2 times per day, wrapping her leg in hot wet towels and then pouring very warm water down the wraps and towels,  I then wrapped a plastic bag around that to keep it warm for about 20-30 minutes.  I did this every morning and every night for 6 weeks, changing the main burlap ball every 3-4 days.  The vet told me she had a 50/50 chance of making it due to the infection and where the nail had gone, but she pulled through with no ill effects.  Keeping her in a dry stall, soaking 2 times per day, religiously changing the dressings, penicillin, bute and determination was the solution for us.  It was a long 6 weeks though... but worth it.
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-12-23 5:03 AM (#34352 - in reply to #33155)

Extreme Veteran

The principles of treating abcesses is to drain, pare out damaged tissue, disinfect, keep it clean, and prevent tetanus. The reason for pareing out, you want to heal from the inside out with good tissue. This along with cleaning of the area can help prevent tetanus. To disinfect an iodine solution is best, Epsom salts also known as magnesium sulfate is great for inflammation, but is not a disinfectant. The deeper the abcess is, the more agressive the treatment needs to be, antibiotics may be given. This is also a good time to update your tetanus shot. I applaud Barry's farrier, I would do anything to keep him happy.

Edited by hconley 2005-12-23 5:09 AM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-12-25 9:19 AM (#34387 - in reply to #33155)

Expert

jreed, icthamol(?) is a tar based topical medication tht can be found in your feed store near the Corona.  It's thick, black and smells like tar.  DO NOT get it on your clothes.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-12-25 9:55 PM (#34398 - in reply to #33256)

Regular

David, that's my position. I didn't mean to imply I was totally against the hollowing out, I just consider it to be the drastic measure. An absess, if caught early, should be treatable without such an invasive procedure. The key is catching it early. Always have a good eye for your horses natural gait, if you see anything "off" pay attention to it immediately.

You also have to make sure you're treating an absess and not a puncture. Not always so easy to distinguish. Sometimes you have to call in a vet. I my just saying, not so fast with the cutting.

Also, owners need to always make sure we are current on their Tentenus shots. If they do get into any trouble and they're not up to date, make sure they get  a shot right away.

I'm sure I'm not telling owners anything they don't know. I just wanted to be clear and go over the "protocol" in case anyone forgets in a moment of panic.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-01 10:07 AM (#34663 - in reply to #33155)

Expert

Maybe I've been lucky.I get farrier out,dug into it sometimes pretty deep.Use 7% iodine in it and put a pad with shoe on it sealed with silicone and turn them back out.Never had to do more then that pe se for almost 30 years.I have waited a few days and used iodine a time or two more with a couple of soaks on real bad ones then nailed a pad on. This past summer with it being so wet had several abcess.

Edited by hounddog 2006-01-01 10:10 AM

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2006-01-05 6:41 PM (#34983 - in reply to #33190)

we have a abcess that has busted out the cordanry band. i have lots of yellow puss that looks like pudding but has no smell. this has been pussing for two weeks. I have him on antibiotic.I'm also soaking it in epson salt keeping it wraped and dry. He is three legged. Can any tell me anything else to do. Have you seen this before.I've seen many abcess but not one that has pussed for two weeks.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-06 10:36 AM (#35009 - in reply to #34983)

Regular

wow, misty. I've never seen one like that. On the bright side at least you got it to bust. Have you had a vet look at her vet look at her? You really need to.

Short of that it sounds like it should be treated as a wound and with all that puss. Have you tried debriding it?

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-07 9:03 AM (#35058 - in reply to #34983)

Expert

I've seen them pop out of the coronary band.  Ususally it's because they have been worming around inside the wall till they finally find a soft spot to come out of.  That's why we open them up by hand.  Have you been putting Ichamol on the dressing to draw out the infection?  Obviously it is still active in there and we all know that gravity pulls things down so the infection needs to be coaxed upward out of the coronary band.  Like I said, I am not a fan of soaking because I feel it invites more bacteria into the site.  I prefer the method I described.  Soaking also can make the foot mushy.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-08 7:23 PM (#35134 - in reply to #35058)

Regular

I agree with the anti-soaking thing. My horse never sits still for it anyway. Rinsing and re-rinsing with warm water and epsom salt, imo, does a better job. But the icthamol is used to bring the absess to the surface. It sounds like that part is already done. I dont think I'd put icthamol on this. it will prevent the wound from debrieding and keep the puss sealed in. You need to get that puss out and draw some blood. Once the blood is running clear you know you are starting to drain the infection.

It's a messy procedure, sometimes requires a needle to puncture the wound- you may even need to lance it (dont try this if you havent done so before.) But you have to get the pus out and the blood flowing, then treat it as a wound to stave off infection. (antibacterial soap, Peroxide, betadine, neosporin. Clean and re-clean 3 times a day.) You want to get that puss out. The tar-like nature of icthamol will just  block the pus pocket and you need to squeeze all that stuff out of there and keep squeezing it out until the pus is pushed out and the blood runs clear.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-09 7:59 AM (#35162 - in reply to #35134)

Expert

Ichthamol will continue to draw out the infection, even after it has surfaced.  You use it untill there is no more signs of pus.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-10 11:11 AM (#35242 - in reply to #35162)

Regular

have2ride, I asked my friend yesterday about the abssess. She agreed with you. Sorry. Never saw an absess give off that much puss.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-10 3:45 PM (#35262 - in reply to #35242)

Expert

I haven't had one go that long either but, if there is still infection worming around in there, be glad that the pus is still surfacing!  Just keep it draining by drawing it out and ginve the antibiotics.  Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)