'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help with ramp weight

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-22 8:12 PM
8 replies, 3310 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-11-14 12:37 PM (#33016)
Subject: Help with ramp weight

Veteran

I just bought a nice, older, steel, used 2H BP - off this site, might I add! Its a great trailer that I plan to use as a local run-about instead of my big LQ.

This little trailer has a ramp. Feels like it weighs about 2 tons and its difficult for me to open and close. Is there anything I can do to make it easier to deal with? Perhaps the springs are worn out? I've had ramp trailers before, but they were newer and didn't seem as heavy.

Thanks for any advice.

A
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cupid
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-11-14 1:55 PM (#33020 - in reply to #33016)
Subject: RE: Help with ramp weight

I would check with a trailer repair shop. Maybe they can add some gas struts (I think that's what they're called on my Brenderup)or something similar to help the ramp lift itself.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-14 2:51 PM (#33022 - in reply to #33016)

Extreme Veteran

Suggest that you call several dealers for the ramps.  A friend had a heavy Trailet ramp and the dealer said they had to make special springs.. but she took it to another place and they not only reinforced the ramp angle iron, they got the springs (they weren't special order) and now her ramp is so light it is amazing!!!!

It isn't that the dealers are out of it, but I find who they hire is the key.  Some repair guys are really savvy, others are so-so.

So I suggest to call several dealers in your area, or work with metal fabricators.. there are a lot of sharp people out there!!!

Jbsny

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-14 5:58 PM (#33029 - in reply to #33016)

Expert

Originally written by Hillview on 2005-11-14 12:37 PM

I just bought a nice, older, steel, used 2H BP - off this site, might I add! Its a great trailer that I plan to use as a local run-about instead of my big LQ.

This little trailer has a ramp. Feels like it weighs about 2 tons and its difficult for me to open and close. Is there anything I can do to make it easier to deal with? Perhaps the springs are worn out? I've had ramp trailers before, but they were newer and didn't seem as heavy.

Thanks for any advice.

A

From what I've seen there are several possibilities, "worn out" springs being the least likely. More likely is broken (or absent) springs or a HEAVY repair job, e.g. someone decided to sheath over the ramp with a thick sheet of something darned heavy instead of repairing it. Look for additional layers of steel, plywood or rubber, any of which could overpower the factory original springs. On some designs it is possible to add more springs at the side, in fact I saw a new trailer with coil springs at the sides of the ramp at the equine affaire last week.

I have a REAL JUNKY old steel trailer as a back yard ornament that is fit for storage (though barely). The ramps springs are GONE !; broke, busted, absent, deceased, lost, past tense - as in "parrot". It is possible to lift the ramp, but it takes both hands until it is nearly vertical, then I can reach for the latch with one hand while I hold the ramp with the other.

Check that you HAVE springs, that they are attached, that the ramp isn't paved over, etc. Then decide what to do next.
Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-11-15 8:57 AM (#33041 - in reply to #33016)

Veteran

This trailer has two exterior springs.  You can see them when you look at the back of the trailer - they are on either side of the ramp.  Would there be additional springs elsewhere? 

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-15 4:16 PM (#33078 - in reply to #33016)

Extreme Veteran

Are the springs connected to the frame of the trailer itself?  Or are the springs on the rod that holds the ramp onto the trailer edge?  On the rod that holds the trailer ramp to the body, there should be springs in each section... if not, by adding springs to those areas, the ramp gets lighter.

That was what my friend ended up doing.  There were three springs on the rod, but two areas where two additional ones could go.  So that was where the repair people fit the springs.

Hope you find a solution. I sold a trailer because when I was putting up the ramp, it almost fell on me.  So now I have a trailer with full back doors and a small very light ramp on back of the doors.

Jbsny

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-16 1:07 PM (#33127 - in reply to #33041)

Expert

Originally written by Hillview on 2005-11-15 8:57 AM

This trailer has two exterior springs.  You can see them when you look at the back of the trailer - they are on either side of the ramp.  Would there be additional springs elsewhere? 

Sounds exactly like my POJ, 'cept I have NO springs left. Your's probably look a bit like the long coil springs that are used on garage doors, perhaps with a shroud over the top 1/2 or 3/4.
You could probably add (or have added) additional springs, but first check that the weight/lift problem isn't just binding in the hinge.

Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-11-16 3:12 PM (#33135 - in reply to #33016)

Veteran

No, it doesn't look like the springs connected to the frame of the trailer itself.  They are connected to the body of the trailer beneath the tail lights and to the sides of the ramp. 
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-22 8:12 PM (#33350 - in reply to #33135)

Expert

Originally written by Hillview on 2005-11-16 3:12 PM

No, it doesn't look like the springs connected to the frame of the trailer itself.  They are connected to the body of the trailer beneath the tail lights and to the sides of the ramp. 

Sounds as if they're vertical at each side of the ramp when it is closed.
I'd still check to see if the ramp itself has added weight, e.g. an extra sheet of steel, plywood or stall mat, that has been added by a previous owner. If so and if you want to keep it that way, consider stronger or additional springs.
There is still the possibility that it feels so durned heavy because the hinge is binding. Corrosion, rust, pee, poop, it all gets into the ramp hinge.

Edited by Reg 2005-11-22 9:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)