'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Backing practice

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-08 7:15 AM
4 replies, 2775 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hidden
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-11-07 8:23 PM (#32789)
Subject: Backing practice

Well, I'm happy spending more $$ on buying stuff for the new trailer (thanks to all for the great list of must haves).  This Sunday AM I took the trailer out and practiced backing it in a bank parking lot.  Good practice and I feel somewhat better. However I couldn't fit it back into the original spot I got it from when I got back to the farm - rats.  I did get it backed in pretty well, but couldn't fit in a tighter spot with less manuver room.  Oh well, I'm still pretty glad I got over some of the backing problems.  I'm so pleased - I'm doing it!  On Friday I will take it downtown to get the weight distribution hitch on, then Sunday I will take one of my horses for a ride around. (planning my route so no issues!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-11-07 9:27 PM (#32790 - in reply to #32789)
Subject: RE: Backing practice

Elite Veteran

You GO Girl!!
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-11-08 12:14 AM (#32793 - in reply to #32789)
Subject: RE

Elite Veteran

good for you for practicing! I grew up on a farm with horses, and my Dad made me back our little 2H bumper pull into a single car width garage. It made me so mad at the time, but now, I know I can back just about anything anywhere. You will never regret the practice time!
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-11-08 6:59 AM (#32794 - in reply to #32789)

Veteran

Ditto on the practice as a kid! Go buy you some orange cones (rubber, not plastic so they bounce back when run over) that you can move them ever close together - kinda like the single car garage.

One aspect to not forget to practice is both turning and backing. Set up cones in a "L" shape and practice backing and turning into a parking spot. Use the point cone to be the front of a truck you are parking next to. There are many parking spaces that you don't have the luxury of getting everything lined up straight before you start backing.

Lastly, don't get nervous or over-think things. You are doing everything correctly. Being careful is much more important to being perfect. AND don't let your backing abilitity keep you from going somewhere. ASK and you can always find someone to help you.

Best of luck!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-08 7:15 AM (#32796 - in reply to #32789)

Expert

Koowellllllllllll....

You'll probably find that some mental "digestion" will help.
Just run through what you did and how, congratulate yourself.

\R
PS It's the trailer wheels on the INSIDE of the curve (-:
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World