'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
I need opinoins

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-29 12:47 AM
14 replies, 4788 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-11-03 4:34 PM (#32659)
Subject: I need opinoins

Regular

Ok I need a little bit of info here. My hubby just got his raise and our allotments are now off his pay so its back in full. Well he told me I could get another horse if I want. Well heres where I need your opinions. I found 2 nice lokin lil grade colts one is 2 and the other is 8 mths they are brothers. Both will need to be gelded. The person that has them bougt them off a man that had them roaming about 500 acres and they had never been handled. So ya know the drill herd em into the trailor and haul em home from there. Ok well they are now gentling down abit and showing some honest curiousity. Its 600 for the pair. He will haul them to me since I am pretty sure t wouldbe ruff loading them. Anyways I nkow it will be a long road ahead of me in training them I had originally intended to go ahead and get a greenbroke horse and work from there with it. I pretty much trained my lst one so I know I can do this without a doubt in my mind but I keep asking myself do I want the headache. Part of me says yes and the other says ummm think again. Lol weird but true. As far as looks go I really love the way the 8mth old is built and his color is very nice as well. My husband likes the 2 yr old and is therefore gung ho about it. However the argument between us is that I insist on gelding them both. They are grades and in my opinion I believe it would be better to geld them should we ever have to resell them. Besides if I even thought about not gelding one it wouldn't be the two year old either way he would need to be gelded. His conformation is off a bit. I mean if he was squared up and had really nice conformation I would see about registering him with the PtHA however its not. So far the 8 mth old is squared off nicely has a good head and a nice chest. Even with that I still want him gelded. They have both got negative coggins and UTD on shots. What is your opinion of this situation? Should I go ahead and say no and run the risk of him refusing to let me get a greenbroke horse (found one I really like and he hates) or just get the pair and train em. They will only be sold as a pair which I dislike a bit. Anyways though opinions would be appreciated. Thanx and have a good one.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-11-03 5:22 PM (#32661 - in reply to #32659)
Subject: RE: I need opinoins

Elite Veteran

Unless you have ALOT of experience with young untouched horses, ALOT of time to devote to not only 1 youngster, but 2, and ALOT of time to WAIT until you can SAFELY ride them, I'd say you should run away as fast as you can!! 

Just my opinion

Nancy

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-11-03 10:07 PM (#32666 - in reply to #32659)

Expert

I have no idea what you enjoy doing. Myself I prefer to be out trail riding vs working young horses in a round pen. And my trail rides begin at around 10-12 miles minimum.

If you want a horse to ride, especially for any kind of distance and still want a green broke, Get 4 year old (or older) that is ready to put some miles on. You can spend some time refining his schooling. Teaching him to side pass, stand still while you tie ribbons on trees or open gates. With the babies you are stuck with watching them grow up and doing ground work. Which is fine, if that is where you get your satisfaction.

ajs01
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-11-03 11:39 PM (#32668 - in reply to #32659)

Regular

It's an awfull long road to hoe. I bought a five year old so I can finish the way I want. Just seems like a lot of work for a little pay off working with babies 
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-05 11:23 PM (#32733 - in reply to #32659)

Veteran

Keep Looking.......Keep Looking.....Keep Looking.  Do not be hurried by anything, if you want a horse to work with and ride... buy one that is ready for that purpose.  $600.00 for two young, unbroke, unmannered, grade stallions is NOT a bargin.  I wouldn't put myself through it and I have been handling & training horses for 20 + years.  Check on Dreamhorse.com.  There are a lot of horses to look at there.  Good Luck and be picky

rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-11-06 1:55 AM (#32734 - in reply to #32659)

Veteran

WOW, That would be a lot to take on. I for one would recmmend gelding them. I would also recomend passing them up. The cost alone for getting them in shape to start is going to be very high. There are a lot of better deals to be had than that.

Good luck in which ever way you go.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-06 8:00 AM (#32735 - in reply to #32659)

Elite Veteran

Personally I'd pass. But it's your time. Here's a paralell I couldn't help but notice after reading your post.

It's funny, that the horses less than perfect conformation is a reason to geld him. Imagine if all children were looked at that way, and then it was detemined which would be castrated due to less than perfect features, a finger that is missing a knuckle, a slightly curved spine maybe, or a head thats to round. Doesn't matter that he might pass on incredible intelligence to another generation.

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-11-06 8:56 AM (#32738 - in reply to #32659)

Extreme Veteran

efaubert:  Wasn't this part of Adolph Hitler's plan for a superior race?
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-06 2:26 PM (#32749 - in reply to #32659)

oohhh...decisions, decisions...   I agree with the previous posts;  personally I would pass on the deal.  Even if the owner would deliver the horses and donate them to you, it will be a long time before either of them would be suitable for pleasure riding.  There are so many horses available;  in addition to dreamhorse, there is agdirect, netequine, not to mention the breed sites.  There are some very good links on www.showstoppertack.com    Suggest you run a search within like 100 miles of your zip code and see what you turn up to look at.  Good luck.
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-11-07 1:40 AM (#32764 - in reply to #32735)

Veteran

Originally written by efaubert1 on 2005-11-06 8:00 AM

Personally I'd pass. But it's your time. Here's a paralell I couldn't help but notice after reading your post.

It's funny, that the horses less than perfect conformation is a reason to geld him. Imagine if all children were looked at that way, and then it was detemined which would be castrated due to less than perfect features, a finger that is missing a knuckle, a slightly curved spine maybe, or a head thats to round. Doesn't matter that he might pass on incredible intelligence to another generation.

Conformation is a great way to decide if an animal should be gelded or not ever breed. There are more than enough horses already which is part of the problem with killer sales. Animals were placed her for us to use eat manage. People are a diffrent subject completely. More people should be responsible breeders.
relay101
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-07 1:42 PM (#32783 - in reply to #32659)

Veteran

I would have to agree with everyone and say pass on the stud colts unless you don't enjoy riding that much. I would imagine that those two will take up the majority of your time for several years at least.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time or money unless, of course, they were free with free delivery.
hertiage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-11-08 11:19 AM (#32811 - in reply to #32659)

Lively,

The CHEAPEST part of owning a horse is the initial price you pay for it. With the young ones, think of the feed, vaccinations, and vet bills, etc, etc., that you will encounter until you have a well broke horse....if they work out to have the good mindedness for trail riding. If one or both do not, you are SOL. However, if training youngsters is your passion, then go for it!  Look under the thread titled "Exciting Weekend" for some good comments on gelding a horse.

Brenda

vhqh
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-11-13 2:00 PM (#32974 - in reply to #32659)

New User

Way overpriced in todays market.  You can buy nice registered colts that are gentle for that price.

As far as the gelding question, there is virtually no market for a grade stud as a breeding horse.  The issues and liabilities of stud ownership are not worth it.  The romance of owning a fiery, spirited stud is a myth, the reality is that it is one big headache.

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2005-11-16 7:01 PM (#33145 - in reply to #32661)

Regular

Lively, I'm not sure what's to like about this arrangement.  You have to train them, it sounds like you'll have no control over the situation, you want them gelded (ask your husband if he wants to train two stallions with no future for breeding?) It doesnt sound like you're getting a lot out of this deal but a challenge that you may not really want, plus a number of arguments with your dear hubby.

I'd say get a nice mare or a gelding. If your husband wants a stallion then let him know what breeding is all about (the expense, the advertising, the handling, the insurance, liability, vet bills, the soft market for stud fee's, etc. etc.) and ask him if he wants to be in the breeding business of train a stallion and face the possibility that it will never really be rideable or profitable.

Don't get me wrong, I love stallions but you really have to be prepared to breed them or they are not a carefree ride, especially when they are so young. If your husband wants to get into the breeding business tell him he'll have to pay a heck of a lot more than $300.00 per horse to make it worth your while. (Teach him about breeding lines, testing for hypp, all of the color options....by then he'll be so confused he'll just let you decide!

Good luck and let us know what happens.

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-11-29 12:47 AM (#33544 - in reply to #32659)

Regular

LoL sorry I took so long to post back on this. I passed on the colts. They were actually pretty sweet but I'm already raising 4 kids and really don't want the headache of working with two youngsters. As for comparing the gelding of horses to people well I have to say its actually very different. People grow up and learn to care for theirselves although some are physically or mentally incapable of doing this you will not see them sent to slaughter for someone to eat. Honestly I believe more horses out there should be gelded/sterilized period. Too many people think Oh I'll buy a mare and I can just breed her. Then the babies start coming and they have no real clue what to do and sell it. One more horse that may or may not end out its days in a natural fashion. I'm not totally against slaughter it does have its place. I personally would rather see a horse go to slaughter than be totally neglected by ignorant or uncaring people. The fact is too many horses are bred on a regular basis. Without slaughter a lot more horses woun ld be abused on a daily basis or just plain forgotten about and left to rot.(I know I'm fixing to get roasted for saying this about slaughter). On the bright side at least they are not processed the way chickens are. With chickens they are alive when the the slicer thinga majingy cuts off their heads. If it misses their heads and they live then they are next on the way to a pot of boiling water to remove feathers. So horses could possibly be slaughtered in a much worse fashion. My husband worked on a chicken plant for a few years before we got married. WHile most of us consider horses to be in a different category when it comes down to it they are livestock. We eat other sections of livestock so a horse isn't that much of a surpise. I have never eaten it and don't plan to but some like to eat horse meat. ANywho got off the subject there. I am still looking and being picky as sin over what i buy.LAters everyone and ty for your advice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)