'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Conversions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-06 7:01 PM
13 replies, 4579 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

klynn
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-31 5:55 PM (#32540)
Subject: Conversions

New User

For you folks out there that have done your own conversions, is it a big job?  I have a 2000 Featherlite with the 4 ft shortwall, so I'm not talking about a lot of space to work with, but I'm trying to decide whether to do it myself or hire it done.  I'm not a real construction-minded person so it will be a huge undertaking for me to do it. And the Cost; Time; Quality...  Want it to look professional as I'll probably upgrade in a few years to a newer trailer and want the trailer to retain its resale value.  Any comments or ideas?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-01 7:43 AM (#32553 - in reply to #32540)
Subject: RE: Conversions

Veteran

Upon currently looking for this type of trailer, I am running across alot of "do it yourself" jobs... I am not impressed.  I would prefer things to be clean cut and nice looking, not just thrown in there and cables exposed and no walls on insulation.. BUT I completely understand everyone's ideas are different.  That wasn't a situation they needed so it wasn't a big deal to them at the time.  NOW it makes it a lot harder for them to sell I think! (my own opinion)

If you think you can do a great job, then I would attempt it.  If you look at this thread I started, these people have great layouts of their converted LQ and you can see the time and work put into it. 

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=3787

Main question - Does the cost equal the time you are going to put in and the issues you may have?  Good luck!

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-11-01 4:27 PM (#32570 - in reply to #32540)

Extreme Veteran

It can become as big as you want it to. It all depends on what you want done or what you can do. For all I have done to our trailer, I have less than $2000.00 into it, not including time, I have been working on it a little at a time since last February and I'm still not finished. I have a bit more to do. Have we used it like it is now, you bet and that has helped me figure out some different things to do as well as little things that would make life easier. I'd look around at some of the other sites and see if it would be worth your wild to attempt something like this. it's been alot of fun for me, but then I enjoy doing stuff like this.

pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-11-01 9:09 PM (#32581 - in reply to #32540)

Regular

I know my feeling when I was looking at trailers. "Homemade" conversions, no matter how good they looked, always made wonder at the electric knowledge of the DIYer. I could see the carpenter skills but those wires were hidden. Did they use quality materials, was it correctly, safely done? Definitely affects my decisions to purchase or not. Something to consider for resale. I AM impressed with several as to use of space and clever storage.
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-11-02 1:19 AM (#32583 - in reply to #32540)

Extreme Veteran

For the most part go as cheap as you can live with, and as tempoary as possible. Less is better, because when you go to sell and trade up you will be better off to remove everything and sell it as a shell. (See the posts above)

If you are looking for a professional to take it, give these guys a call. They are tops, and not that far from you, although extremely busy and you will have to wait but it's worth it.

http://www.whinnycargo.com/

Edited by rockyrider 2005-11-02 1:24 AM
Bill W
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-11-02 6:59 AM (#32586 - in reply to #32553)

Regular

Edited by Bill W 2005-12-22 6:14 PM
diamond_j
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-11-02 7:55 AM (#32588 - in reply to #32540)

Regular

I should probably preface my post by saying that we do conversions for a living, so take my post with a grain of salt if necessary :-)

In doing repair work, we've seen dangerous wiring in DIY conversions as well as "professional" ones. We've also seen safe DIY conversions. In general I think resale values (to dealers - maybe not so much to individuals) are lower for a trailer that does not have a certified conversion.

I generally tell people that if doing the conversion is something you would enjoy, it may be worth your while to do it yourself. If you're not going to enjoy the process, your time is probably better spent doing something else.

DH relates it to training colts. I LOVE babies and would like to raise our own colts. I mean why should we pay all that money for a broke animal when we could just have our own? Because (as DH points out) we don't have the time to do it correctly. He has a lifetime of horse experience, but it's not the same as someone who devotes themselves to learning and refining training techniques. We know enough to know when someone does a truly good job and we get our animals from him.

Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-11-02 9:32 PM (#32619 - in reply to #32540)

Extreme Veteran

Like maccwall, I have about $2k in mine.
If you're not in a huge hurry - do it yourself.
We had a blast doing mine! (and some great father/daughter time)
I also have a 4' short wall (close enough) and there is a floorplan in my album if you like.
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-03 8:09 AM (#32628 - in reply to #32540)

Veteran

hubby did mine for aroound 2k as well.  it is a 4 ft short wall and is insulated and paneled.  has a sink, couch that pulls out to a bed.   we didnt do any wiring.  for lights just used the light that is in there orignally.   i dont have a plug in when i want to plug in a heater i just have a extension cord that i close the door on.  it shuts just fine over the cord.   we may however put a inlet/outlet thing on the wall in there so we can plug a cord in rathaer then shutting the door on it.  actually one outliet plugin inside is all one really probably needs to make it simple.  you can then plug in a surge protecter and then plug more then one thing in it if it doesnt draw to much power. 

the work he did makes it look pretty sharp.  nicer then some of the costume trailers i have seen.  the wood trim that he put in there adds alot thou.  I dont have an ac or a walk thru door to horse area. 

karenb
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-11-05 4:49 PM (#32722 - in reply to #32540)

Regular

nd deb,

Do you have photos?

and...where did you find your pull out couch?

Thanks

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-06 9:06 AM (#32739 - in reply to #32540)

Veteran

karenb, I can email pic of it.  whats your email?  it is a bench made of wood braces and plywood with paneling attached to the top and piece that is pulled out.   The piece that is by your legs when it is a couch pulls up and it has legs that unfold and sits on when pulled out to a bed.  We put the water tank under there. 
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-11-06 9:19 AM (#32740 - in reply to #32540)

Veteran

karenb, I looked at your profile and emailed at your website email a couple of pics. 
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-11-06 9:51 AM (#32742 - in reply to #32540)

Veteran

I've been checking out the web sites with pictures of their conversions.  Anyone else have any to share?  I also have a 4 ft. short wall I'm dealing with.  It has the door on the streetside. 
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-11-06 7:01 PM (#32753 - in reply to #32540)

Veteran

Every "Do-It-Your-selfer" has thier own idea of what they want.  The best way is to write down everything that you want in your camper.  How ar you going to use it and how long at a time.  These all come together to start your plan.  In a 4ft short wall you do not have a lot of room so multiple use area's become important.  In my camper, I do not have a stove, just a small microwave.  No hot water heater, but I can use the microwave to warm water.  I have a sink and water under pressure.  As I use the outdors as much as possible I have a  free standing awning, tables and chairs, camp stove and cooler.  I have a large closet that will expand to be used as a john with a porta potty.  I am a do-it-yourselfer, and think that I have done a good job of placing my wiring inside cabinets so I can get at it, my plumbing is that way also.  the only wire behind a wall is in a conduit.  You can check out my pictures on my web site.  http://home.earthlink.net/~dheismann/

I hope this helps

Turfa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World