'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Curious

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-12-31 1:07 AM
14 replies, 5663 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-10-29 4:52 PM (#32491)
Subject: Curious

Regular

Ok I'm just curious here but would anybody be familiar with the Killeen,Texas area? I'm asking because ( I know this sounds silly ) I am trying to find somewhere that I could possibly work with horses. I mean all I want out of this is some extended knowledge in the area, as far as horses go. I know back where i came from it was easy to get on with a barn on a volunteer basis, but here i know very little about how things in this area work. I'm not a horse expert and doubt i ever will be but I am still tryin to learn as much as possible. Books can only tell you so much and hands on seems to teach so much more. I've been workin with horses off and on since i was 13 yrs old but unfortunately I have never seen where anyone actually pays for help. Pay isn't what I'm after unless you include the chance to learn. As far as basic grooming and such I do know how to do that and cleaning stalls is easy enough. I mean the work can be hard but its enjoyable, Heck I'm not really sure what i am asking here. I feel silly for posting this. I am wanting to ask some of the local stables if they would take someone on a volunteer basis but I'm rather shy when talkin to new people and tend to stutter when i get nervous. I do not want to sound like some kid with a wild hair up their hindend. I mean I'm 26 years old and responsible if i do say so myself. I have had a horse or two of my own in the past couple years but due to a big move and finances were not able to keep them. I actually enjoy the labor side of horse care riding isn't that nig of a thing with me although i can ride western. I just want the chance to be able to learn more. Well like i said i feel silly for posting this but any ideas on how to find a place thats willing to work with me on this? Well gonna let you guys go and hush.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-29 5:24 PM (#32492 - in reply to #32491)
Subject: RE: Curious

Expert

Lively, swallow your pride and go ask!  I have a friend outside of Killeen but without you being ultra experienced (and her being totally crazy) I doubt the two of you would mesh.

Ask around at the military base and local feed stores.  Speak slowly and don't say too much.  GO FOR IT!

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-10-29 6:25 PM (#32496 - in reply to #32491)

Regular

Lol its not pride its pure out chicken. I actually do have a pretty good bit of experience. I just will never say that i have enough. Too bad your friend isn't totally nuts maybe i would have a chance..lol. No seriously all aside I will give you a short listing of what experience i have had:

At 13 went to daycamp for one week (Paid) got lucky and they gave me a chance to work for my keep. I cleaned stalls, groomed, fed, and saddled horses for rides. I had some riding lessons in exchange and started riding western.

At 14 still doing the same thing but also started taking out trailrides and being the dummy up ( lol sorry our slang for first up on a horse in training). Soon was being taught how to sack out a horse , get em ready for saddle and bridle, and basic moveout. ( The hackbarn was owned by a local trainer) Also held horses for him while he treated foot problems and while he trimmed.

At 15 ownership changed and i was used that summer for teaching Daycamp. I was responsible for them learning basicly how to groom,saddle and usually to not be totally scared to death of a horse. Unfortunately a lot of parents use daycamps as a babysitter for older kids. After having them get over the fear a lot of students started with I taught them basic commands for riding.

At 16 the barn lost its lease and closed.( By the way it was called HorseWorld the name had been retained from original ownership)

Then i did some volunteer work at Fulmer International in exchange for riding lessons. (english was a whole new world to me found out i had muscles i never knew about). In the summer I worked from 7am to 12 then came back after lunch at 2pm and worked until 6pm that afternoon. I got a 30 minute riding lesson with Cynthia (Mr. and Mrs.Hall were far above and beyond me) occasionally with Mirriam.  I cleaned stalls. weatherproofed blankets turned the horses out and brought them in for lessons. Groomed and saddled whatever horses were needed when their owners showed up to ride. Occasionally assisted in feeding.

Hmm ...lets see my Mom made me quit because she insisted i was doing far to much work between workin at the barn and McDonalds at the time.

At 18 I got married and started workin for almost heavens stables for $50 a week, Once again teaching at a daycamp. I dealt with the beginners because i didn't feel i was capable of teaching the more advanced students and i just prefer dealing with beginners. Its fun watching them light up when they start to get the hang of things and that fear is abated to respect for the horse. I did this for 2 summers and in the winters i just helped care for the horses. I had to work light because shortly after gettin married i found out i was pregnant.

I didn't have much else to do with horses until i turned 23 when i bought my first one. I made the mistake of buying a horse who had quite a few mental problems due to prior abuse. I ended up giving her to a friend so she could retire she was 15 when i bought her. My husband insisted she go before she hurt me. After that he bought me Dreamer who was a very sweet 2 yr old. I worked on her ground manners and at 3 started her under saddle. She was a dream to work with absolutely loved learning. Then we moved here and i had to sell her so she is now having her training finished with a friend of mine at Broken Arrow Stables who intends to train her for english instead of western which is what she was started with. This last part was 3 yrs in total. I'm 26 now.

Ok far too much info and i guess i do have a touch of pride.LOL I'm lucky i ever saw so much as the backside of  a horse. My mom hates horses and the only reason i got in that first week is my dad snuck the money to pay for it and afterwards he put his foot down about her not letting me around them although she won out at fulmer because he agreed i was workin to much.

Ok so well i am gonna start asking around and keep my fingers crossed but even to my eyes my experience seems very limited.

Hehe thanks for the boot in my hind end i needed it.

Edited by lively 2005-10-29 6:28 PM
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-11-05 6:29 PM (#32723 - in reply to #32491)

Veteran

If you are just looking for a chance to ride and work with horses. I need someone to ride with my wife. My job is going to be keeping me busy a lot for the next 18 months and my cutting horse will need to be ridden/Exersized. It would include riding trails and maybe a few ranch horse compitions etc. I also have a friend that has a training barn in Marble falls. She often takes inturns you get lessons and riding in return for doing chores. I will ask her if it is ok to send you her information. If so I will give you her number. I imagine she will let you ride and exercise her horses but she will not let you ride a clients.
Pm me P.S. we live about 45 min or so from Killeen about half way to Austin.
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-11-15 1:23 PM (#33061 - in reply to #32491)

Regular

Ty rotag. I would love either chance. I have no clue where marble falls is ..lol..I did get lucky and found a place here where i will be paying a guy to teach me a lot of stuff. He gives lessons but not in the normal sense of the word. He basicly teaches you all the nit pick stuff about horse ownership that gets confusing with a horse of your own. I have always wanted to know the exacts of deciding on a feeding regimen and he is teaching me this along with a lot of other stuff about injuries. Hehe its hard to swallow that I am an idiot when i go to his lessons but there is always more to learn. With him you never even get on a horses back until you know every single piece of a saddle,(which i thought i knew .knew most butnot all) and how to measure if its right or not ..how to decide the size of cinch and blanket, know pretty much every bone in the horses body,etc etc.. Its really hard and I am realizing I have forgotten so much over the years. Lol at 13 I could have answered any of his questions....especially about the anotomy of a horse. I remember gettin picked on and razzed becuase i always had my horse anotomy book that went into details about physical build cycles genetics and all in it. I assumed i had it memorized but of course was wrong. Otherwise I would still remember most of it.

When I first met him he started firing questions at me ...I assume to make me realize I didn';t know as much as I thought and to find out what i did know. It was a humbling experience but one I needed. As for the science of feeding After years I have finally found someone to help me understand it better. Beyond just buying the premade bag  and assuming its a good one. After I am done with him I will know why it is good or bad. I would pm you but i have no idea how to do that.

Once again ty. I would love to have someone to ride with. Its just not as much fun going by myself. (My hubby rarely rides)

HAven't found any luck in the work aspect in trade. But hey i do enjoy my 1 lessons..lmao. Once again rotag either option sounds great especially the work in trade. HMm now how the heck do i send a pm.....aside from when i get them.

Lol just checked where marble falls is ...its pretty close to us.

Edited by lively 2005-11-15 4:08 PM
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-11-17 5:37 AM (#33164 - in reply to #32491)

Veteran

Sorry I have been at the ranch in east texas no electric or internet there. We live pretty close to yall also. We can teach you a little also. It will be good to ride a well broke horse. I have been working more and more and Laura will soon be needeing someone to ride with. My email is s_e_slevin@yahoo.com we are in the liberty Hill phone book and know quiet a few horse people from the area. Peri haines youth ranch is close to you also. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/phr/  If your interstead we could get togather with you and your husband and have dinner or something. Then you can ride at our place and if you feel comfortable you and Laura can take to the trails. Email one way or the other it would be a big help getting black Jack ridden.

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-11-17 12:13 PM (#33183 - in reply to #32491)

Regular

I'll be in touch with ya rotag, email on the way.
gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-17 1:10 PM (#33186 - in reply to #32491)

Veteran

hello rotag
off the subject but to you know of a man in lampasas named Ronny Bumpus?
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-11-19 12:05 AM (#33238 - in reply to #32491)

Veteran

I gotthe email lively and forwarded it to Laura She will be out of town for a few day with family.

Gus no I dont know Ronnie.

gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-19 7:39 AM (#33239 - in reply to #32491)

Veteran

he is a good man used to get some nice horses from him
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-11-30 3:58 PM (#33621 - in reply to #33239)

Regular

Thanx glad to hear you got the email ..lol i was worried for a bit there. We hope to meet ya'll soon.
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-11-30 10:38 PM (#33636 - in reply to #32491)

Veteran

I am sure we will soon. We have had a ilness in the family combined with Thanks Giving it has been pretty busy. I will ask her whn a good time is to get togather.

Steve

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-12-11 3:18 PM (#33962 - in reply to #32491)

Regular

No problem I fully understand. Things have been hectic here as well. Holiday rush ya know. Sorry to hear about the illness I hope whoever it may be gets better soon. best wishes
~Ree
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-12-23 10:49 PM (#34376 - in reply to #32491)

Veteran

Laura mom is still not doing well but I think life will be better after the first. So keep in touch we havent forgoten about ya.

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-12-31 1:07 AM (#34605 - in reply to #32491)

Regular

Np I am glad to hear she is doing better. At the moment I am tryin to figure out what to do. Accidentally found out my hubby is planning to get me a horse. It's a young one he heard me say i really liked. He's surprising me tomorrow by taking me out to look at it.( my kids can't keep a secret) Problem is I now have to find a way to tell him no. He picked a bad time considering i just upgraded his Pc for him and bought him an online game to go with it. I didn't believe the kids when they told me but my oldest goes " here mom look I told ya so" and handed me the paper where he had arranged verything. Its sweet of him to do that but ummm i don't believe he realizes now is not a good time. Hehe stilling recovering from the Christmas holidays and you know how cash is at that time of the year. I have gotta figure out how to say no without insulting the sellers or embarassing my husband i have no clue how to work this out. All I can figure is take the seller to the side tell em the situation without embarassing him and then let him think I do not want the fella we are going to look at.(LoL I have been drooling over this guy for the last month so its gonna be hard to convince him) I just don't wanna hurt his feelings or have him upset(not overly emotional type but still feels bad cuz i sold my horse when we moved here and trying to make up for it). I am for the first time ever hoping this horse acts like a nightmare when we go to see him so I can honestly say I do not want him. So keep your fingers crossed that this guy is a nightmare. I just don't want to waste these peoples time. I know I will be getting a horse within the next couple months but lol now is not the time. Sorry had to vent a lil bit there have had this going through my head since I found out a few hours ago. It looks like he worked out some kid of payment plan with them but still it's just not feasible with this paycheck. (my unflexable new years rule makes it this way...lol all bills that can be paid off from the year before aka vehicles and such get paid off). New year new start and works great. Oh well gonna quit rambling,
laters,
Ree
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World