'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Finally bought the first trailer.. what else do I need?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-02 7:57 PM
22 replies, 5181 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hidden
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-10-25 3:56 PM (#32295)
Subject: Finally bought the first trailer.. what else do I need?

Ok.. finally made a decision, I got a Adam, 2 horse BP straight load (ramp) with dressing room.  I got a very nice price on it too.  Anyway, now that I have the trailer being readied for me to pickup, what else should I buy?  I have the weight distribution hitch on order as well.  Do I need the trailer aid? Or a major jack for problems? a membership to USA horse?  Can I just go to Home depot and get wooden bocks left over from cuts for wheel chocks etc?  What else do I need?Thanks for your thoughts.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-25 4:09 PM (#32296 - in reply to #32295)
Subject: RE: Finally bought the first trailer.. what else do I need?

Expert

Originally written by hidden on 2005-10-25 2:56 PM

Ok.. finally made a decision, I got a Adam, 2 horse BP straight load (ramp) with dressing room.  I got a very nice price on it too.  Anyway, now that I have the trailer being readied for me to pickup, what else should I buy?  I have the weight distribution hitch on order as well.  Do I need the trailer aid? Or a major jack for problems? a membership to USA horse?  Can I just go to Home depot and get wooden bocks left over from cuts for wheel chocks etc?  What else do I need?Thanks for your thoughts.

You didn't mention the brake controller ... You need one that works.

A trailer aid is good to have to change a tire, otherwise you'll have to unload the horses.  A dangerous operation, on the side of a road.  Of course, a couple of planks works too and is a lot cheaper.

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-25 4:26 PM (#32297 - in reply to #32295)

Veteran

Depending on where you are keeping your trailer, you might want to get a hitch lock to keep someone from driving off with it. If your tack area doesn't lock, you may need a lock for that. Another thing I would suggest is a water jug of some sort. I bought a 6 gal water jug in the camping area at WalMart and it's pretty flat. I attached rings to the trailer wall inside the tack area and bungee corded the water jug to the wall.

Congrats on your new trailer !!!

Edited by Champhorse 2005-10-25 4:27 PM
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-25 5:26 PM (#32302 - in reply to #32295)

Veteran

Congrats on your new trailer. 

Just something that I have seen, sometimes ramps when lifting them, the sawdust or poo get stuck in the ramp closure and people bend over to clean them out... Right at the horses hoof level... I would suggest just purchasing a cheap broom to store in your tack room, to also use on that and in the tack room itself.

Does it have mangers?  If you haul with hay, I would get the nice hay bags (not net material) the more solid ones.  Ties for the inside of the trailer to hook them to.  I would also stock up with snaps/buckets and such just in case.  You can never have too many snaps, rope and chain! 

I would also make a first aid kit to store in your trailer for human and horse.

I love my "tire buddy" not sure exact name, but you drive up on it if needed, it can also double for a step into the DR if needed!  :)  I have not used mine but the first time I go without it.... I prob will get a flat! 

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-25 9:06 PM (#32318 - in reply to #32302)

Elite Veteran

I always keep these in my trailer at all times: First aid kit. I have 2. One for the trailer and one for home use.  A long rope (30-50 feet), 4 extra lead ropes, 2 extra halters (my horses has 2 different sizes of heads), 2 easy boots, knife, blanket and 2 bath towels, maneuer fork, wisk broom, extra bridle and saddle parts (cinch, latigo,off billets, reins, headstall, chin strap), hay nets, and a lunge whip. I have those plastic drawers in the front. Nice to pack snacks in there too.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-10-25 10:06 PM (#32324 - in reply to #32295)

Extreme Veteran

Ghgirl & Krys have some excellent ideas.  I also keep haybags, water buckets, bucket hangers, extra halter & lead rope, bridle, saddle, extra parts for equipment.

Some others things I keep are an extra set of clothes, boots, rain gear, fly spray, hose to rinse horse off, electric cord, flashlight, fire extinguisher.

Sometimes we ride in cold weather so I keep a warm blanket for the horse for after riding and hauling home.  Have fire starter and matches in case we want to build a first to warm up.  In cold weather I keep tea & hot chocolate.

I travel with my horses so I also have a trailer aid to drive my trailer up on to change tires.  Also had the experience of not being able to get the tire off the trailer so since then I carry a block of wood just in case I have to unhitch the trailer and leave it.  Also leave an extra heavy duty tire wrench in the truck to help with loosening the lug nuts. Be sure to check your spare tire as well.

I had my vet help me put together a first aid kit for the horses and I have one for the humans too.  Check your first aid kit yearly because vet wrap can get old etc.  I keep a womans pad and a baby diaper in my kit because I had a injury once that cut through two muscle and an artery and it took a diaper to be big enough to cover it, suggestion made by my vet.

Happy riding!

hidden
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-10-26 7:49 AM (#32331 - in reply to #32295)

Great ideas.. I have a prodigy brake controller already installed so I'm good there (sneaking up on the thing) I happen to have an extra set of the plastic drawers right now so I could put that in the dressing room for the extra stuff.  Broom for sure, water (should have thought of that one).  Other extras I have already.. but will need to buy hay bags (not manger style, but hanging hay - I like the cordura one with the small opening vs net).  Will stock up.  Thanks for the thoughts..

Edited by hidden 2005-10-26 7:51 AM
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-10-26 8:22 AM (#32332 - in reply to #32331)

Veteran

Congratulations on a wise choice in trailers.  Above are all things you will need and although I saw rope and snaps listed, get your self a "picket line kit" and practice with it. If you camp enough you will need it someday.
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-10-26 6:04 PM (#32372 - in reply to #32295)

Veteran

MONEY! You will need more money to pay for all the "stuff" that goes in the trailer (including the horses) and the truck!

Arroyoseccofarm (laughing)
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-26 6:12 PM (#32373 - in reply to #32295)

Extreme Veteran

Insurance? Something to think about now that you have this new investment where anything can happen at any time. Just something to look into and whether it is worth having for your trailer.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-27 4:52 PM (#32422 - in reply to #32295)

Expert

Congrats, nice choice.
In addition to what you need to BUY there is stuff you need to KNOW.

DO learn to hook it up properly and learn how to DRIVE with an EMPTY horse trailer behind you (as if it were loaded).
Learn how to back up into driveways or side roads on your right especially, since you WILL miss turns and have to turn around.
Hang back, hang WAY BACK from other vehicles.

Practice backing up in empty parking lots, maybe school yards on week-ends. Put out cones if you can - miss them, but only just.
Watch out for short tracking, miss mail boxes (-:

Then learn how to load - SAFELY !

PRACTICE !!!

ENJOY !
(-:

Happy for Ya,

Reg
hidden
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-10-27 6:20 PM (#32425 - in reply to #32295)

Yes.. I'm having my first driving lesson on Monday with a friends smaller trailer.  At least it will get me started. I have already enlisted another friend to spend a Sunday AM with me in a parking lot to work on backing up skills.  Right now I'm trying to figure the best way to drive the trailer home (North of town and I'm south) I'm not sure round the beltway is the best way to start, but might be better than 2 lane roads with traffic and construction.  I'm planning ahead... ha ha.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-28 7:41 AM (#32442 - in reply to #32425)

Expert

Another couple of "Good to have and not expensive" things for your first b/p are a tongue jack wheel and about a 2 or 3ft length of 2 by 6 (8, 10 or 12). Place the woood ACROSS the center line of the trailer when you park, align the tongue jack wheel to the board, chock the trailer wheels before you detach from the truck. When you go to hook up the next time you'll probably be a couple (or NINE) inches off to one side, but with such a relatively light trailer you will be able to nudge it across, unless the tires are in soft ground, but a new first trailer usually lives on the driveway for a FEW months.
I see people "all the time" who apparently pull the pin on the tongue jack wheel, lower the coupler onto the ball, then retract the jack only far enough for the wheel to fall off the tongue jack. Then they go to an event and seem to find the holes with the truck wheels and the high spots with that tongue jack's post. Evidence - it leans forwards.
The board will double as a ramp for changing tires, use it with a wheel chock to build the right incline for your trailer.
BTW, this is a_nother worth learning thing, practice changing tires with the trailer hooked up. Do KNOW that you can build that ramp with the board and chock and drive up it with the good tire to change the (imagined)bad one. Decent rubber triangular chocks are $10 to $15 at the truck places, really worth the money, even to an old skin-flint like me.
{Not cheep, just "frugal" (-: }
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-28 2:33 PM (#32471 - in reply to #32425)

Expert

One thing that I don't think anyone mentioned having are  folding emergency triangles.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-28 6:46 PM (#32480 - in reply to #32471)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-10-28 2:33 PM

One thing that I don't think anyone mentioned havingĀ areĀ  folding emergency triangles.

I gotta 12Ga flare gun (-:
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-28 6:57 PM (#32481 - in reply to #32480)

Expert

Originally written by Reg on 2005-10-28 7:46 PM

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-10-28 2:33 PM One thing that I don't think anyone mentioned having are  folding emergency triangles.
I gotta 12Ga flare gun (-:

nice.  a flare bouncing off the hood of oncoming traffic will sure get more attention than a triangle, which is all i have....now i feel undergunned, thats a little unusual.

Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-31 10:12 PM (#32545 - in reply to #32295)

Regular

I bought a rechargeable lantern and it has come in handy for finding things in the trailer/dressing room when the lights aren't hooked up, hitching and unhitching at night.

Also a muck set: folding wheelbarrow, shovel, broom, and fork for cleanup.

A nice washable rug for your dressing room entrance.  A small wastebasket is handy.

I hung a flat organizer on the wall with clear plastic pockets that holds bungies, fly repellent, sunscreen, leather punch, umbrella/plastic hat cover, gloves, compass, matches, etc.  Easy to find stuff.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-10-31 10:58 PM (#32547 - in reply to #32295)

Extreme Veteran

Ok what about a lug wrench that fits! A nice star wrench is a handy item and it will probably fit your tow vehicle.....it might help if you get a stubborn lug nut! Oh if it has hubcaps you need to get them off to check out your new lug wrench! A good digital tire pressure gage....good for all your tires...
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-01 7:55 AM (#32555 - in reply to #32295)

Veteran

I always try to keep a "tool kit" in my trailer with the proper things, flashlight, screwdrivers, hammer (never know) and wrench, wire cutters, knife, you name it!

Have you seen those collapsable trash cans, that is my new purchase, they are great, it collapses small and you just pull out and boom it popps up, but a trash bag in and you are good to go.  :

I have a rug when I walk in the trailer that is washable.  I also have indoor/outdoor rug for outside the trailer that is bigger to step on and get a lot of the "stuff" off before getting in trailer, OR to take shoes off then step on the rug then inside the trailer.

Extra halters and extra leads, a lunge rope (also doubles as extra rope to tie stuff down) and even a horse first aid kit.  Ace/Rompin/banamine/bute/needles/syringe and thermometer and stethascope.  Print out the standard "sheet" of what the horses normal temp and heart rate should be and keep it in a 1st aid kit to take with you in your trailer.  Don't forget vet wrap, duct tape and baby diapers.  Also a first aid kit for you too don't forget!  Ice packs - the kind that you break and shake, have used them on me and my horse before.

Hope that helps to give you more info!

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-01 8:51 AM (#32558 - in reply to #32295)

Elite Veteran

Hey, I know! Maybe something to haul in it. A horse or two would be good!
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-01 9:28 AM (#32560 - in reply to #32295)

Veteran

{SLAPS HEAD}  DUH... I forgot that major detail! 

pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-11-01 10:09 AM (#32561 - in reply to #32295)

Regular

thought I'd add my .02.  this is a great thread.

A tension rod for handing clothes is SO handy and Walmart has a hanging shelf (velcros over the rod) made mostly of fabric, it's light and has 6 shelves. Great for holding all kinds of stuff, towels, helmet, clothes, etc. 

That pop-up idea is a good dirty clothes hamper, too.  Helps loading/unloading the trailer.  Put the clean stuff in it and it's ready to put back in the trailer. 

Muck boots that go on/off easily are a must.  As is a sharp knife for emergencies.

The money tip was maybe the best one!!

ajs01
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-11-02 7:57 PM (#32614 - in reply to #32295)

Regular

YOU NEED A BRAKE AWAY BRAKE SYSTEM. Remember to get one with a charging circuit and a charge indicator to keep the gel cell charged, and let you know it's charged befor you head out.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)