'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Why can't I find a trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-25 12:02 PM
16 replies, 5054 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 10:37 AM (#32112)
Subject: Why can't I find a trailer?

Veteran

Ok, I am opening up to everyone my troubles...  why can't I find an afordable trailer in my price range, close to me?  When I set my mind on a "type" of trailer, everyone has their own opinions and makes it known to me how horrible the other trailers are.  I know each person has their own opinion and my opinion might not be similar to others, but it is so hard.  I have not been happy with my current trailer since I got it 5 years ago, and continue to look but never find one that is "perfect" for me.  My next trailer I am going to keep for a long while, and want to make sure I get the right one. 

I am looking at many different types of trailers.  I used to be set on 4-star until I went to congress and looked at the inside of the new ones.  They have rivits that are not "flush" with the roof, any dumb horse will flip their head and hit it, it hangs down at least 1/2 inch to 1 inch and bugs me... so I have changed my mind on them.  Which opens me up to searching for more trailers. 

Basic wants:

I want a step up, I like the 2 horse size, getting to a 3 horse, you have a drastic step up and down which being short, I don't like myself. 

I want a rear tack - Perm or remove not a big difference, have pros and cons to both.

I want drop down all the way around - know that gets expensive.

I want drivers side door entry and door between horse and DR and braced for AC.

It has to be ALL ALUM because I have a 1500 shortbed and I am NOT getting another truck as I only haul a handful of times compared to normal driving of the truck.

Any one else have these issues with the "good and bad" of trailers?  Anyone else confused on what to get?  PLEASE go ahead and post why and why not you like trailers also!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 10:46 AM (#32114 - in reply to #32112)
Subject: RE: Why can't I find a trailer?

Expert

I want a step up, I like the 2 horse size, getting to a 3 horse, you have a drastic step up and down which being short, I don't like myself. 

I've never noticed a big height difference between the 2 and 3 horse trailers.    I've got a 4 horse and it is alomost the same height as my neighbours 2 horse.

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-21 11:51 AM (#32121 - in reply to #32112)

Extreme Veteran

Depending on how big of a dressing room you want and if you were to get a 3H that might get a bit heavy for your 1/2 ton truck.

I agree with Terri, I haven't noticed much of a height problem in the step up between a 2 and 3 horse.

What don't you like about the current trailer you own now? Make a list of all the things you don't like and compare it with other trailers.

Personally the trailer I used to have, had a list of things I didn't like about it so I looked at trailers that didn't have those bad things. Trailers are changing all time for those reasons.

Finding a trailer without special ordering it with the drop-down windows all around option could prove difficult and expensive. Do you really need that option?

There really is no perfect trailer out there. And once you buy one and use it for awhile you will probably start picking that one apart as well.

This website is certainly a  good place to shop for trailers. Contact some dealers even if they aren't in your area. Delivery is always an option.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 12:06 PM (#32123 - in reply to #32112)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by qhgirl on 2005-10-21 8:37 AM

"My next trailer I am going to keep for a long while, and want to make sure I get the right one."

I think I also said that ....was it 3 or 4 trailers ago?....They all end up being a compromise here and there. Sounds like you are looking and you know what you are looking for... Good luck! 

Edited by xyzer 2005-10-21 12:11 PM
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 1:10 PM (#32134 - in reply to #32112)

Veteran

Oh I have and searched this site since it started.  I remember when it was just a site that had a few things on it.. now look at it.

I am not 100% needing drops all the way around, just face side.  That is a "compromise" that I am willing to change.

Can you give me ideas on different brands of Alum Trailers.  Oh and I am only looking at trailers that are max 18 feet total, so I think that will be ok to pull with my truck.  Looking around 14-16 feet really.

Give me your thoughts on:

* C and C

* 4-Star

* Merhow

* Hart

* Sooner

* Elite

OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 2:11 PM (#32139 - in reply to #32112)

Well the biggest problem your going to run into, in my opinion, is finding one your truck can pull good. 
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 2:18 PM (#32142 - in reply to #32112)

Regular

This conversation is happening on another message board I belong to.  We have concluded that there is a Consumer Reports for just about anything we buy in this life-------except a horse trailer.

If there is one out there, please post a link to it:

If there isn't a consumer reports on horse trailers, some enterprising person needs to compile information and start selling it.  There's a lot of folks (new and old timers) that would happily pay a small fee for a "Consumer Reports of New and Used Horse Trailers"

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 2:21 PM (#32143 - in reply to #32139)

Veteran

Originally written by OK-Cowboy on 2005-10-21 3:11 PM

Well the biggest problem your going to run into, in my opinion, is finding one your truck can pull good. 

Well I agree, but that is NOT an option.  My truck can pull my steel/galvinized just fine right now, so getting an all alum is not going to be worse. 

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 3:53 PM (#32146 - in reply to #32134)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by qhgirl on 2005-10-21 11:10 AM

I am not 100% needing drops all the way around, just face side.  That is a "compromise" that I am willing to change.

GH...Mine has drop downs on the head side and "bus windows" on the butt side. I believe you will have better luck finding that compromise..Good ventalation! I personaly would own a Stock combo trailer but my wife wants all the padding, windows and all that stuff that costs more. Guess who won... 

I have seen the brands you listed..but can't give you a personal opinion. I bet some of the folks out there will post there preference...I own a Featherlte no structure problems...just a few I wonder why they did it like that?! Good luck!

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 11:31 PM (#32156 - in reply to #32112)

Veteran

We trailer shopped for two years. Knew exactly what we wanted and what we wanted to pay. Well we went a little over our set limit, and we wanted slide out tack which we did not get and the bigger fridge also. But we liked what we got for the money. I really need that big fridge but we got such a good deal I can deal with it. We ended up with a featherlite. We have used it extensively since March and really love it. DK
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-10-22 5:13 AM (#32158 - in reply to #32112)

Veteran

The difference in the 2 horse to 3 horse step up is the difference in the heavier axles and the change from 15 nch tires to 16 inch tires. ( I think)

I have owned 4 stars since 1993 and love them. I have had a 16 foot 2 horse, 26 foot 3 horse 21 foot 3 H with drops all around. I have forgotten where you live. I live in NC. I think I need the drops all around and am thrilled I have them. I also have a 4 star 2 horse tag.

I love the 4 star line, my husband thinks they are made the best because they are all welded alum where it counts.

I have not seen the new model. I can not believe they would rivet the ceiling in the horse area with the rivets hanging down. How stupid.

4 Star trailers are made to order. If this is your only drawback from 4 star, ask a dealer if you can order one without the rivets hanging down.

None of my 4 star trailers had this problem.

I sold my 3 horse 4 star and got a 2 horse Elite. That would be my second choice of trailer. I bought it used on this site and am thrilled with it. It has drop downs all around.

I would think your 1/2 truck could pull a 16 foot 2 horse. I had a heavy duty 4 wheel drive truck that did for a long time including mountain driving.

Don't get discouraged. This site is great. I bet you can find the trailer you want on here used.

The trailer I found was in Springfield MO and I live in Charlotte NC. I tried to get it delivered but couldn't wait, so I went to get it. I drove 16 hours one day, slept in the trailer and came back the second day and drove 17 hours home. I saved some money doing it myself. That was in april or so before the gas prices skyrocketed.

The trailer I bought was a LQ. It had been used twice in 4 years. I had to have $800 of work done on the refridgerator, the stems in the tires had dry rotted and had to be replaced, and my first trip in the trailer the awning blew off and had to be replaced. I am telling you this because horse trailers are an expensive venture. The more bells and whistles you get the more expensive they are.

Since 1993 and 4 4 Star trailers ago, I have had ONLY ONE problem with any of the trailers that was not related to the LQ packages. On one of the 4 Star trailers the trim piece around the wheel well would not stay in place. That is not bad for their products. My 2 horse tag got clay on it and was not cleaned off for two months and the clay ate into the aluminum. ( I got hurt on a ride and could do nothing for 2 months.)

I will be a 4 Star customer for a long time to come.
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-10-22 5:17 AM (#32159 - in reply to #32112)

Veteran

There is a 2 horse 4 star that appears to be 14 ft with drops all around.  It is in Ohio and a good price.  It is new on the list. 
rollingrfarm
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-10-22 10:31 AM (#32162 - in reply to #32112)

Regular

Have you looked at Platinum or Elite?

I don't know what Platinum has in a 2horse but I searched for every and paid more than I thought I should but am in love with my 3H Platinum Coach, and my fussy hubby who is knowledgeable about welding and construction wouldn't have anything but a Platinum and Elite.

KR   

HaulinHorses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-10-22 12:06 PM (#32166 - in reply to #32112)

Regular

Originally written by qhgirl on 2005-10-21 10:37 AM

why can't I find an afordable trailer in my price range, close to me?         

What do you call an affordable price?  Maybe that's the sticking point.  If you buy a quality trailer like a Platinum, Elite, 4-Star, C&C, you will pay more.  Since you want it to last a long time, I don't think you would be happy with an entry level trailer.  Call your local dealers and price a new trailer custom built to your specs.   A new Platinum with all of the options you describe will probably cost you a little over $16,000.  That sounds very reasonable to me for all you want.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-10-24 10:03 AM (#32221 - in reply to #32112)

Extreme Veteran

Try looking at a Silver Star.  They're all aluminum and made in South Carolina.  I have a 2 h GN with DR - entry door on driver's side, pass through, drop-down windows on driver's side. It weighs around 4000 lb and I tow it rather easily with a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500. It has 16" tires and wheels and #5200 axles. I've owned it for 2 years and have absolutely no complaints.  Try their website silver-star-trailers.com.
gowyo6790
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-25 10:53 AM (#32283 - in reply to #32112)

New User

Ask people that you see at the local trail rides or shows what they like and dislike about their trailers. They will probably show you exactly what they do not like and what they love. I have an "old" '95 4-star that I bought because of the price. The two things I did not like were the sold rear tack and the slat wall at the tail end. I now love the solid tack - keep more dirt and dust out compared to movabale ones. The slat wall - my wife had a cow over that, but now loves that we can take out the smoked plexi-glass in the spring and put them back in the fall. In Texas you need all the air you can get. Buy a used top quality trailer instead of a new entry level. About the same price, but for the long haul, a much better buy. Keep looking, it took me 2 years to find mine.
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-25 12:02 PM (#32284 - in reply to #32112)

Veteran

Thanks everyone.  I normally ask what people like and don't like about their trailers and why someone who ordered a trailer, ordered it with those "options"! 

I used to want rear tack - removable, but I sort of like the idea of no dirt and wet getting into it.  I would like being able to haul "more things" in it, but honestly I have my current trailer with no rear tack and have never had to haul anything in it... so the thought that I would really use it that way is prob few and far between.

I like the slat windows, but know after having mine for so long, the slat itself is a pain to "store" somewhere else...  plus I like the idea of being able to shut the windows or open them if needed (drop down windows) to allow more air flow.   Indiana gets hot, but it also gets just as cold!

THANK YOU ALL.  I am still looking, I guess when I find it I will know!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)