'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
first trailer - please help

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-21 2:39 PM
15 replies, 5893 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jazzmon
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-19 4:30 PM (#32022)
Subject: first trailer - please help

New User

I am in the market for my first 2 horse trailer and would appreciate some help/advice.  My towing weight is limited to a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with max tow weight of 5000 lbs.

My trailer choices are a new CM Endurance (weighs 2810lbs approx) or a 1995 Featherlite 9407 (weighs 2800lb approx). Both are within my towing capacity (I only intend towing with 1 horse (900lb )and possibly my mini (500lb).

Any advice on the trailers. Would the 10 year old Featherlite be a better choice over the new CM gaveneal (sp?). Also the CM is only 10 ft long as opposed to 14 ft (I think) Featherlite. I intend to purchase WDH.

Many thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-19 4:49 PM (#32023 - in reply to #32022)
Subject: RE: first trailer - please help

Expert

welcome.

of those choices, and i know ill get flamed for this, id go with the CM because its new. 

back when i bought my new trailer, i was looking for a "less used" trailer than the one i had. around here everyone wanted so darn much for their used ones i went ahead and paid a little extra for the new one. some of this may be due to the size, like you, mine is a 2h BP, as ive noticed some better deals on the larger trailers.

good luck.

PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-19 4:58 PM (#32024 - in reply to #32022)

Regular

Both of these are advertised on this web site, so you can check their links out.

1. The Brenderup is a new critter, I think. I am familiar with someone that has one and likes it.

2. I am also acquainted with someone who owns a fairly new Bison. They just spent 8 hours this past Monday of their horse vacation, getting shoddy welds fixed by a welding firm in a town several hours away from home.

The trailer buckled in more than one place.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for that comment, but too bad, the powers that be can delete it if they want to. Bison should have QC in place that won't allow shoddy welds where structural integrity is compromised. The folks and their horses could have lost their lives had something broke loose while going down the highway, even at 55 MPH---
jazzmon
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-19 4:58 PM (#32025 - in reply to #32022)

New User

Thanks.

Both the trailers would be around the same price. The dealer will take $5,800 for the featherlite (I'm not sure if he would take less) and the CM Dealer would probably take around $5,500 - he is asking $6,400. Of course the Featherlite has a dressing room, but the CM has a small area at the front for saddles, tack etc. and I am sure I could squeeze in there to change if needed too.  My husband thinks the Featherlite would weather better here in TN than the CM. Is the galvanel trailer better than straight steel - it will be kept outside.

Many thanks.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-19 5:14 PM (#32026 - in reply to #32025)

Extreme Veteran

My bumper pull has a small dressing room and I REALLY like having it. It's big enough for saddle, bridles, buckets, etc.. and I can still stand in there to change. All things being equal, I'd go for the dressing room.

-Betty
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-19 5:40 PM (#32028 - in reply to #32024)

Expert

Originally written by PAWALKER on 2005-10-19 5:58 PM

Both of these are advertised on this web site, so you can check their links out. 1. The Brenderup is a new critter, I think. I am familiar with someone that has one and likes it. 2. I am also acquainted with someone who owns a fairly new Bison. They just spent 8 hours this past Monday of their horse vacation, getting shoddy welds fixed by a welding firm in a town several hours away from home. The trailer buckled in more than one place. I'm sure I'll get flamed for that comment, but too bad, the powers that be can delete it if they want to. Bison should have QC in place that won't allow shoddy welds where structural integrity is compromised. The folks and their horses could have lost their lives had something broke loose while going down the highway, even at 55 MPH---

define buckled and fairly new please. 

there are bad apples in every bunch. dont judge an entire brand by one or two examples.  see my signature?  the "dont ask" is my first shiny new trailer(now a little older), it had a list as long as my arm of stuff that absolutly should not have made it out the shop door. QC and saftey issues, needless to say i will not purchase that brand again, but i wouldnt discourage others due to my 1 out of 1000(?) experiance.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-10-19 5:45 PM
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-10-19 7:48 PM (#32033 - in reply to #32022)

Extreme Veteran

If the Featherlite is in good condition. All of the latches work nice...not beat up...good electrical and lights...good mats...tires...spare?  I would go Aluminum with D/R. The only expensive thing left is tires, brakes, and axle bearings... Make the dealer a fair offer....if he won't go down much then have him add a brake and axle service... maybe just keep that part of the deal anyway! If all is in good condition you may have to buy tires someday... You will use the dressing room!  My .02....good luck either way!
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-20 9:40 AM (#32049 - in reply to #32022)

Regular

"define buckled and fairly new please"

Ok.  First I will say that this is the SECOND incident I have been told of regarding a Bison trailer, thus my forceful comments.

I'm pretty sure the Bison is this year's model; 2004  for sure.

1.  The owners had hay on top for two horses for their three week vacation.

1.1  The roof buckled.

1.2 An area of the fender well buckled

1.3  Something else buckled but the cell phone cut out so I couldn't catch what and didn't bother to ask.

2.  The welding company that did the repairs said the factory welding was shoddy in that robotic tack welds were used in areas where structural integrity was compromised by not using heavier welds.

3. By all accounts Bison is bending over backwards to do the right thing and well they should.

4.  Would I take a chance on a new or used Bison?  Not in this or the next lifetime.  Two bad votes from two separate families is more than enough for me.

I'm not saying how the new Ponderosa's are, but I bought my 4-horse open stock bumper pull brand new in 1988.  It hauled my horses from PA to CA to TN without issue.  That trailer has never been privileged to be kept inside.  it is still in top running condition, but If I ever am able to get a new trailer, I will be investigating Ponderosa's first

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-20 11:48 AM (#32059 - in reply to #32049)

Expert

Originally written by PAWALKER on 2005-10-20 8:40 AM

Ok.  First I will say that this is the SECOND incident I have been told of regarding a Bison trailer, thus my forceful comments.

1.1  The roof buckled.

1.3  Something else buckled but the cell phone cut out so I couldn't catch what and didn't bother to ask.

2.  The welding company that did the repairs said the factory welding was shoddy in that robotic tack welds were used in areas where structural integrity was compromised by not using heavier welds.

3. By all accounts Bison is bending over backwards to do the right thing and well they should.

4.  Would I take a chance on a new or used Bison?  Not in this or the next lifetime.  Two bad votes from two separate families is more than enough for me.

I'm not saying how the new Ponderosa's are, but I bought my 4-horse open stock bumper pull brand new in 1988.  It hauled my horses from PA to CA to TN without issue.  That trailer has never been privileged to be kept inside.  it is still in top running condition, but If I ever am able to get a new trailer, I will be investigating Ponderosa's first

Let's see now ... 1/2 bale of hay per horse per day, 3 week vacation= 21 days = 21 bales of hay !!!!

say 50 pounds per bale... 1050 pounds !!!

How about a double decker horse bus like the Brits use?

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-20 12:18 PM (#32061 - in reply to #32049)

Expert

Originally written by PAWALKER on 2005-10-20 10:40 AM

1.1  The roof buckled.

thanks
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-20 12:25 PM (#32062 - in reply to #32061)

Regular

Actually I think she told me they had 15 bales on top. Still a good bit of weight.

Nonetheless, the weld shop that made the repairs was emphatic that "---those were tack welds" where the integrity of the trailer was compromised, and should "--have been much a heavier weld:)
pasogirl1
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 1:36 AM (#32093 - in reply to #32022)

New User

Since this thread has a first trailer heading I wonder if someone would be kind enough to tell me about stock trailers. A friend of mine just purchased one for 4 horses and he says they are not tied or tethered in any way while being trailered. Is this dangerous to the horses? How do they keep their balance if the trailer stops or accelerates? I know this must have been answered in the past but I really appreciate your input. Mary
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 11:14 AM (#32115 - in reply to #32093)

Expert

Most of the ranchers around here don't tie in stock trailers unless the horses are saddled.  They travel loose so they can stand how they want so they can brace themselves for the stops/accelerations. The lead rope/trailer tie doesn't help them keep their balance, it keeps them from moving around. 
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 2:14 PM (#32140 - in reply to #32022)

Regular

I have a 4-horse open stock and I do keep my horses tied because I don't want them turning around, maybe getting in a scuffle with one of their Buds and starting the trailer to sway or maybe one of them going down.

I need to add that, while my horses are seasoned haulers and never cause me any grief when being hauled, they are NOT ranch horses that are trailered from site-to-site every day and have the trailer ride drill down to perfection.

I have seen folks in my area that haul their horses saddled AND un-tied in an open stock trailer, but again, those horses are trail ridden nearly every day and could probably drive the truck, given half the chance:)
turtle
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 2:17 PM (#32141 - in reply to #32022)

My new 2004 (bought in January 2005) Bison AlumaSport buckled the third time I used it (hauling 2 horses). I took it to the local autobody shop and they said there was virtually no bracing and that the welding was very poor. And no, I did not have anything on the roof. I took it to a Bison dealer and they straightened the trailer (it was totally racked) and added roof and frame braces and put new hinges on the back doors since when it racked, it wrecked the hinges. Bison covered all this work under warranty (they fixed all the leaks, etc. etc. also) But yes, I sold the trailer I just bought in January 2005 because you get what you pay for. I won't buy a Bison again.

OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 2:39 PM (#32144 - in reply to #32141)

I grew up cowboyin' and roping calves, and for years my horse didn't know anything but a stock trailer and were loaded saddled and untied.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)