'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
fence

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-12 10:46 AM
16 replies, 6254 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

john
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-18 7:58 PM (#31964)
Subject: fence

we just bought 4 horse and  i wondering what is a good and safe kinda fence to put up we live in ohio
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-19 8:07 AM (#31975 - in reply to #31964)
Subject: RE: fence

Extreme Veteran

Board fence, electric tape fence would be my choice. Electric tape being the cheapest. If you use T-posts, put those plastic caps on the tops.

No barb wire, electric wire or pagewire fence. All hazards to your horse.

If expense wasn't a factor then the vinyl fencing would  be the way to go. IMO.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-19 9:01 AM (#31979 - in reply to #31964)

Expert

I personally love no-climb fencing.  I made the mistake of allowing barbed wire to be put up and have been replacing it ever since.  I now put landscape timbers as fence posts and then staple the no-climb to the inside of the posts.  This way there is only a smooth surface towards the horses.  No-climb has tiny squares, sometimes triangles, usually only 1.5-2 inches big.  This keeps the horses from standing on the fence and pulling it down to lean over and graze.  I also like TALL fences, I hang my no-climb about 10" off the ground and the top stands at about 6'.  My horses don't "neck" with the neighbors anymore!
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-20 12:07 AM (#32036 - in reply to #31964)

Elite Veteran

I have 2x6 rail fence with hot wire on top. The fence is about 4'-4 1/2' tall. I have the hot wire on top not to keep the horses in, but to keep the neighborhood kids from climbing over. Used to have hot tape and I was fixing it all the time. The deer here tend to take it down. Wasn't uncommon for me to get phone calls late at night becouse my horses were going down the road.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 10:40 AM (#32113 - in reply to #32036)

Extreme Veteran

We have the vinyl coverd wire. You only need to put poles in the ground every 12 feet. We've had it for 10 years and it has been very easy to care for. I do have to keep a hot wire on to keep the horeses off of it, or I'd be out there tighting it every day. Still looks good 10 years later.

-Betty
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 1:05 PM (#32132 - in reply to #32113)

Expert

bjhouten

Where did you find the vinyl covered wire?  We have barbed wire now and I want to replace it.  Wood won't work (if the termites don't get it the vandals would.   A guy up the road had 60 foot of fence stolen one night.) and I don't want to use a field fence because it's such a pain to keep the grass out of it.  I want something easy to mow under.

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-23 4:28 PM (#32198 - in reply to #32132)

Veteran

I recently installed some of the braided rope with stainless steel wire and I like it. Its supposed to be warrented for 20 years...we'll see. Its easy to install and tension. You can set metal posts at 25' also so it goes up quick...you need good braced corner posts..the rope is heavy when it gets wet or ice on it. Also you must keep it electrified. My horses have had no issues with it and it looks nice...also very visible daylight and dark. This brand has some black threads so it is visible in the snow.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-10-25 3:19 AM (#32270 - in reply to #31964)

Extreme Veteran

We have the white electric poly tape with white vinyl t-post covers that surrounds the house area and divides the pastures.  It looks good but I wouldn't put it up again.  

We originally went with four strands because of raising foals at the time but eventually we removed the bottom strand because of having to keep up below the fence trimming and spraying weeds.  

We have problems with deer and onetime an extreme wind totally stretched it out of place.  Another problem is the white turned gray and greenish in more shaded areas.  Had a few times when the electric fence charger had problems and I had one horse that would walk over the bottom strand and would raise the top strand with her head and walk thru when the electric was off. 

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the mesh fencing made for horses with the small openings and then put the electric poly tape on top.  I think it'd be less maintenance and with the white poly tape, visible to the horse.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-25 5:07 PM (#32301 - in reply to #32132)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Terri on 2005-10-21 1:05 PM

bjhouten

Where did you find the vinyl covered wire?  We have barbed wire now and I want to replace it.  Wood won't work (if the termites don't get it the vandals would.   A guy up the road had 60 foot of fence stolen one night.) and I don't want to use a field fence because it's such a pain to keep the grass out of it.  I want something easy to mow under.

It was a long time ago. It was from dealer in the area, who is no longer around. You can buy it from Valley Vet online, and I've seen ads for it in horse mags. I found it was alot cheaper to buy the tensioners at the local hardware store than from the fence dealer, and it's the same thing. If you look around I'm sure you will find a good source.

-Betty

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-25 9:34 PM (#32321 - in reply to #31964)

Elite Veteran

Hi John,I put up(all by myself!)the electric tape fencing by "HorseGuard" It's so easy and it works great! I have two ex-race horses off the rack and never have a problem. They won't chew on it, you don't have to paint it.No rotting wood.I did an acre in 2 days.(OH YES!I AM FEMALE!) Just make sure you follow instructions properly with the grounding rods, etc. This cost me only a couple hundred as opposed to thousands. I myself used t-posts and then wooden posts for the corners. you will need to put tensioners every so-often down the fence line so that if they do get into the tape at all, it will only be a section that is down instead of the whole fence line.I got the 1-1/2" tape. Make sure you get your tensioners and corner tentioners in stainless steel .The same with the tape(make sure it has stainless-steel strands inside the tape or rope, whatever you use.HorseGuard is quality stuff, the insulators are great because the same insulator can be used on either t-post, wood post or pipe post.Real convenient.The tape is awesome. It is made in a weave that allows the wind to go through it,no matter how windy it ever got here, the tape never moved!I have had this up for four years now with no problems.I have used the cheap stuff from the local feed or equine store. Dont even go there. There is another quality product other than the "HorseGuard" but can't remember the name. Will look for you. Good Luck!
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-10-26 2:08 PM (#32354 - in reply to #32132)

Veteran

This summer we put up the vinyl cover wire fencing, 4" Flex Fence, from Ramm fencing (www.rammfence.com).  It is brown vinyl so we didn't have to paint the fence posts.  So far we love it.  It took us forever to put in the fence posts-working a little here and a little there all summer (muy husband insisted on putting every post in concrete because we were putting most of the fencing in a low lying area)-but the actual fencing went up in about 1 1/2 days.  I love the looks of it, and we are both ready to put it up all around the pasture (we only have about 3 acres).  The salesman at Ramm Fence I dealt with was Rick and he was nice and very helpful.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-29 10:12 PM (#32501 - in reply to #31964)

Expert

You can buy the Coated High Tension Wire from Kencove. http://www.kencove.com/ShopItemIG.php?item=Wire+Coated

I've had it on my property for 10 years. I set post at 25 feet.  Drilled the post and pulled the wire through, four strands on my fence. Used the manufactures terminators ( like a chinese finger trap) on the end post.  I keep one strand of hot wire on the inside to keep the horses from poking there heads through the fence.

Depending how you install it, you may want or not want the bonded wire. The bonded wire is REALLY hard to peel the coating off the inner wire. The finger traps I used at the termination need the coating removed, so it was a pain to use the bonded with them. If you are going to wrap the post on clinch then the bonded is fine.

One draw back with drilling and threading the wire through the post is if you break off a post, you need to undo the fence to replace the post. But I choose that over stapling at every post.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-11-10 9:16 AM (#32883 - in reply to #32301)

Expert

Thanks.  I think I've seen it then. 

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  We had a tornado go through our pasture and take out 2 barns (one with horses in it, no one hurt though) and lots of misquite trees.  Not the brushy stuff I wanted to remove, but trees that were 2 1/2 and 3 feet thick.  It was hard watching those old trees come down.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-11-10 6:56 PM (#32897 - in reply to #31964)

Elite Veteran

Red Brand no climb horse fence is my choice.  I have chain link around the perimeter with a hot wire run on the inside since chain link makes a great "butt scratcher". Cross fence with the Red Brand.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-11-11 6:53 AM (#32902 - in reply to #31964)

We had purchased Electrobraid fencing. We really like it. It is alittle expensice but looks neat and better than the electric tape fencing. Good Luck!
cantrnr
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-11-12 10:11 AM (#32938 - in reply to #31964)

New User

It has been our experience that pipe makes the best and safest horse fencing. The can chew on boards and they also break. If the pipe is welded and cemented in the ground you have a nice solid exclosure. I have seen a combination of pipe and no climb but the no climb seems to stretch and bulge. Barbwire is awful. I agree that red brand makes the best wire products, my husband is a fence contractor and build fences for large cattle companies and horse ranches. Good luck!

I wanted to add that I do not mean pipe panels, they are great temp but not solid enough for some horses for a permanent enclosure.

Edited by cantrnr 2005-11-12 10:13 AM
Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-11-12 10:46 AM (#32943 - in reply to #31964)

Regular

We use the electric ribbon tape to cross fence our pasture's.  It's really easy to move and re-configure pasture's.  Got it from Tractor Supply.  Just remember when using ribbon tape, it has to have a twist in it to keep it from sagging. 

All our horses respect it, even the babies. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)