'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brood Mare

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-22 8:43 AM
8 replies, 3717 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Perry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-18 2:26 PM (#31926)
Subject: Brood Mare

I need some input.  I am considering buying a really nice foundation bred mare that has not been ridden, for the most part, in the last 4 or 5 years.  She was well trained and shown up to the time she was bred.  She is 10 years old and real "laid back".  I trail ride only.  Would the transition to the trails be too much of a challenge? or is wet blankets all she would need?  Opinions, please.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-18 3:43 PM (#31943 - in reply to #31926)
Subject: RE: Brood Mare

Extreme Veteran

So she was about 5 or 6 when made into a broodmare. Any reason why she was made a broodmare or just because of her genetics? Find out her history and have the owner ride her and see for yourself. Why are they selling her now? If she has a friendly, personable disposition which it sounds like she does by being "laid back" and you are comfortable around her then she just might be the horse for you. IMO horses that were shown are pretty good undersaddle and used to a lot of activity although a show ring is a whole new ball game compared to the trail ring so be prepared for that. It might take her a few rides(bumpy ones for you) before she settles down on the trail.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-18 3:58 PM (#31948 - in reply to #31926)

Expert

It depends.  She may have been retired because she got cold backed or something...(if she's Skipper W I'm betting she wasn't all that broke to start with.)  If she wasn't REALLY broke prior to becoming a broodmare then chances are she never will be a riding horse again, even for trails.

FYI, usually good broodmares aren't sold and don't start a new career.  Did she get injured reproductively and now she has to be used for something else?  I'd have a reproductive exam on her prior to purchasing her.  (Keep digging until you get the real answers on this one.)

She was shown?  Ask for her show record that may help you out also.

Perry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-19 12:42 PM (#31998 - in reply to #31943)

Thanks for your tips.  The owner is moving out of the country or he wouldn't be selling her.  She has a super colt by her side now, but this mare is very fit looking.  She's about 90% foundation breeding and handles easily from the ground.  With her disposition, I would think that would have a lot to do with how she adapts to trails but I may be wrong.  Can make a better decision, for sure, after seeing her ridden and riding her myself.  Thanks again. 
Perry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-19 12:52 PM (#32000 - in reply to #31943)

Thanks for your tips.  The owner is moving out of the country or he wouldn't be selling her.  She has a super colt by her side now, but this mare is very fit looking.  She's about 90% foundation breeding and handles easily from the ground.  With her disposition, I would think that would have a lot to do with how she adapts to trails but I may be wrong.  Can make a better decision, for sure, after seeing her ridden and riding her myself.  Thanks again. 
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-19 1:37 PM (#32005 - in reply to #31926)

Veteran

What bloodlines is she out of? That might tell us a little more about what you can possibly expect once you start riding. My gut tells me that she would be great.....just a little re-training from so much time off but otherwise would probably be pretty solid.
Perry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-20 12:46 PM (#32064 - in reply to #32005)

As far as her bloodlines, I remember that she goes back to King P234 and I saw some other recognized names as well but can't remember all of them.  I think Leo was one.  I believe she is from the stud Invester Cluso.  King is the one I am sure of.  Conformation, disposition very good. 
horsecrazy2
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-20 7:16 PM (#32080 - in reply to #31926)

I've bought a "broodmare" in the past. She had been used as a cutting horse till she started getting arthritis in her ankle. They had then bred her a few times. The woman was getting out of the breeding buisiness is the only reason they were selling her. My mare is super laid back (sorta like the one you described) and is broke to ride, you just cant do alot of it due to her ankle.

I don't think you'll have any troubles with this mare. If she hasn't been rode in the last 4 or 5 years, and the owners are selling her as a broodmare, not a riding horse, they may be reluctant to saddle her for you since they are not representing her as a riding horse.

hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-10-22 8:43 AM (#32161 - in reply to #31926)

Extreme Veteran

My father always said "the only difference between a bad horse and a good horse is about 600 miles"

Edited by hconley 2005-10-22 8:45 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)