'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
inside wear on trailer tires

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-17 7:41 PM
1 replies, 2741 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

curtisgriffin
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-17 4:25 PM (#31866)
Subject: inside wear on trailer tires

New User

What factors cause abnormal tire wear?  My trailer tires are wearing on the inside of all four tires.  It is a big trailer, Sundowner Siesta.  I read somewhere that one cause is the frontend being to high or too much attitude.  I pull it with a 2003 F-350 FX4 with overload springs.  also I had the trailer raised 2"at the dealer last year.  It did not have enough miles on it before for me to tell if this is when the wear started or not.  Everthing looks even setting on the ground but there is definate wear on all four tires?  Has anyone else had this problem with big LQ trailers?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-17 7:41 PM (#31880 - in reply to #31866)
Subject: RE: inside wear on trailer tires

Expert

Originally written by curtisgriffin on 2005-10-17 4:25 PM

What factors cause abnormal tire wear? My trailer tires are wearing on the inside of all four tires. It is a big trailer, Sundowner Siesta. I read somewhere that one cause is the frontend being to high or too much attitude. I pull it with a 2003 F-350 FX4 with overload springs. also I had the trailer raised 2"at the dealer last year. It did not have enough miles on it before for me to tell if this is when the wear started or not. Everthing looks even setting on the ground but there is definate wear on all four tires? Has anyone else had this problem with big LQ trailers?

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

We did this topic a month or three ago, you can search for it and dredge up more than I can remember.
There is a camber built into trailer axles, grossly exagerated it looks like this when the trialer is empty or lightly loaded
\-----/
When it is ideally loaded it should be about like this
|-----|
and when overloaded
/-----\
though something will break before you get to those angles.

If the front is too high then the rear axle is probably overloaded, expect wear on the inside 1/3rd or so. Also if they're inflated for more load than they're actually carrying, some of the outer 1/3rd or so of the tire won't be hitting the ground very much (-:
I'd guess trailers with camper sections are more likely to overload their axles than those without. Just the nature of THANGS, people like marble counter tops, "stuff" gets carried, etc.

I suggest/recommend you get it weighed axle by axle, pay more attention to the axle ratings than the tire ratings, the tires usually have more margin than the axles.

Edited by Reg 2005-10-17 9:30 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)