'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Some idiot tried to scam me out of my trailer!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-24 6:44 PM
11 replies, 3813 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Boots' mom
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-10-16 6:14 AM (#31807)
Subject: Some idiot tried to scam me out of my trailer!!

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to warn users that the "I'll send you more money than you're asking, just refund me the difference" scam is alive and well!

I received an email about my trailer and I was suspicious just from the initial tone but I decided to play along.  This morning I got the scam.  I am copying the whole letter and my response so y'all know EXACTLY what this looks like and who this particular guy is! 

Regards,

Diane aka Boots' Mom

Hello ,
the price is okay by me,I will go ahead and Instruct a personal client in the states to issue you a certified cashier check which would cover all expenses for it. It is most likely you would get it sometime next week or even sooner.
He will be issueing you a cashiers check to the tune of $16,000 The reason being that after you deduct your $9,000 and other expenses emanating from all forms of charges. The rest could be wired by you to an international shipping agent via western union money transfer,who will be communicated to you in due time.
He will help in the shipping of the item to my location I would want it to be packaged and delivered in the safest and most proffesional way.
The shipper is likely to be reluctant to pick it up until he is mobilised, i.e the balance wired to him is his fees for his services,tranportation to and fro,clearing and all other charges involved in this transaction okay.
He would be advised to com! e to your house or the location that you give me for him to pick it up as soon as he is mobilized by the funds you send to him.
Also before I forget send me your full name and contact address as should appear on the check and to where it is going to be sent to and for shippers pick up point and your contact telephone number, please do get back as soon as possible.
Thanks and Best Regard

That email was sent to me by lar_holmes@yahoo.com.  Here's what I wrote back to him:

Absolutely not!!  You must think I'm the biggest sucker in the world if I fall for this well known scam.  I had a feeling that this may be a fake offer since your command of English is not that great.  I will be forwarding this email to the administrators of the websites where I have my ad posted so they will know your email address and that you are a big scammer!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
perfect11s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-16 7:51 AM (#31810 - in reply to #31807)
Subject: RE: Some idiot tried to scam me out of my trailer!!

Regular

A friend has had the same sort of thing it, was a year or so ago for a horse she was selling she was sent a cheque and nearly forwarded some money before she found it was scam..   people are trying this worldwide  for any high value item advertised, also watch out on Ebay there are scam auctions like a $65,000 horse trailer  offered for buyit now  $5600 if you email the scammer,  
perfect11s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-16 8:13 AM (#31811 - in reply to #31807)

Regular

Just wanted to say ive bought trucks and other items from the US ive paid the seller and then used a UK based shipping agent to arrange to ship the goods out of the US paying the costs and taxes when the item arives  in the UK...   
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-16 10:08 AM (#31813 - in reply to #31807)

Expert

I've bought many items from overseas, some via web and web contacts, without ANY troubles. The seller's "Command of English" hasn't always been perfect, but in many cases a lot better than that of many US citz/residents.

hhecladd
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-16 6:05 PM (#31826 - in reply to #31807)

Yes, this scam is live and well, someone tried to do the same thing when I was selling my trailer back in july.  He was saying he was out of the country and would get someone to pick it up, but never said a name, or contact information.  The funny thing was is that at the bottom of the page of the  "email" from him (his email was written in all caps and bad english) was a posting about scams from dreamhorse... My husband saw the email when I got it and we immediately ignored it and deleted it.  These people are scum!  Beware!

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-16 7:17 PM (#31827 - in reply to #31807)

Expert

Oh yea- I get those if i have a horse listing online. People have complained about those scams for several years now. I simply delete and then block those addresses....
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-16 10:27 PM (#31836 - in reply to #31807)

Expert

Supposedly there is a group in this area making offers on horses and sending transporters in at times when they know only the "after school help" will be at the stable. The transporter has "papers" to pick up the horse(s) and believes the deal is good and done.

FWIW, etc. : So selling isn't always safe either.

DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2005-10-16 11:43 PM (#31839 - in reply to #31836)

Elite Veteran

We get these scams all the time. They can be buyers or sellers.  Here's the tips:

1.  English construction is foreign sounding . . . not just illiterate.
2.  The trailer is being bought or sold to another country . .
3.  There is always an "overpayment" check requiring you to write the difference.  (their checks are fraudulent)

4.  And the most important tip-off?  If it sounds to good to be true . . . it isn't true.

Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-10-17 11:07 AM (#31848 - in reply to #31807)

Veteran

That's a hoot! I laughed out loud on that one. Have gotten a similar email (but not quite as creatively written!!) for everything I've ever sold online...from horses to a trailer to dogs. I always reply back something to the effect "Heck yes! That sounds great to me!" I love to string 'em along...it's great entertainment!! (Most of these scammers are based in Nigeria). How anyone could ever fall for something this dumb is beyond me!!!
JackieJo
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-17 11:20 AM (#31849 - in reply to #31807)

We have a web site and they get our address from that. I Always write back to the ones about a relative has died and we need to put money in a U.S> account that I am so sorry and I will get their email to our federal government or police ASAP and they will call to help them, or I will tell them that they have just sent their email to a U.S. Customs agent and do they really want to pursue this scam. Those two things usually get them off your back. I can't believe folks really fall for this stuff. Jackiejo
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-17 4:41 PM (#31869 - in reply to #31807)

Veteran

I have had several e-mails similar to that on a saddle I am trying to sell. I e-mailed them back that I would gladly complete the transaction AFTER the cashier's check they send me has been verified to be authentic and non-fraudulent and for the amount agreed upon. Once the check has completely cleared, the merchandise will be shipped or can be picked up. I have never heard back from any of them. Hmmmmmm.
dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-10-24 6:44 PM (#32257 - in reply to #31807)

Regular

Yes the same thing happened to me.  I received a fraudulent cashiers check for double the amount.  Called the person and told them about and they said don't worry just send me a check for the overage and we will pick up vehicle tomorrow.  I called the sherriff and the bank and found out it was a fraudulent cashiers check.  If something sounds too weird use your best judgement and call the police.  I know of another person who lost their vehicle and the $4000.00 due to this scam. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)