'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Negotiating Trailer Price

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-17 4:49 PM
3 replies, 3333 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

artb42
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-14 3:41 PM (#31774)
Subject: Negotiating Trailer Price

We are preparing to purchase a new trailer from the manufacturer (this manufacturer does not use dealers). We also have a trade-in as part of the deal. We've never purchased new before, but have purchased used from individuals and sold whatever we had. Our question is, should we expect a process similar to buying a new car? Is the purchase price of the trailer at least somewhat negotiable? Can we expect near fair market value for the trade? Would like to have an idea what to expect before getting to the deal part.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-10-14 9:23 PM (#31782 - in reply to #31774)
Subject: RE: Negotiating Trailer Price

Veteran

Heck yes they are negotiable. VERY negotiable with the way the economy is right now. Go in and tell them what you want. Tell them you are looking at another trailer that's comparable and what's their price on their trailer. Then, tell them what you'll give. They'll counter but stick to your offer. Be prepared to leave if necessary but make sure they have your phone number. They will call you or they will sell you the trailer, I promise.
I found the trailer I wanted. Called the owner of the dealership and asked the price. Told him what I would give and if he'd take it I'd come pick it up. He shot me a figure that included tax ,title, and whatever(which was more than I had offered.) I said no, I'll give X amount and if you make it come out to that, I'll take it. He said "sold". I picked up my trailer!
Have fun.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-15 9:58 AM (#31790 - in reply to #31774)

Extreme Veteran

But remember though, if you are trading in your trailer the dealer isn't going to budge too much on the price of the new trailer.

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-17 4:49 PM (#31871 - in reply to #31774)

Veteran

When you have a trade-in, the manufacturer can't give you top $$ for your trade and rock bottom price for the new trailer. You will probably come out ahead selling your own trailer and not trading in. When you talk to the manufacturer, ask them for prices both ways. Remember that the manufacturer may not want the liability of additional inventory and may not give you much for a trade-in.

I recently went through the same thing looking at trailers. I got quotes from several dealers for a trade-in and the trade-in prices ranged from $2,500 - $3,300. I ended up selling it in less that 24 hours for $4,500.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)