'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Stalling 23/7 & feeding once a day??

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-04 7:22 AM
53 replies, 11623 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hertiage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-11-02 7:25 AM (#32587 - in reply to #32482)
Subject: RE: Stalling 23/7 & feeding once a day??

Hosspuller,

My response was to explain that the use of the needle for euthanasia, in my experience with 7 horses, was not negative. Your post mentioned a possible struggle with the use of a needle. The military reference to the horse with the broken leg was in regards to his experience with a gun. No one else in the group except the policeman had firearm experience.

Brenda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-11-02 7:10 PM (#32611 - in reply to #32440)

Expert

Originally written by hertiage lane farm on 2005-10-28 7:40 AM

The horse was part of a remuda being driven to another location. The leg went through a rotten cover of an old mine shaft while on the drive. Lots of other loose horses around, open high plains country.You have a horse with a leg literally dangling, and have to restrain the horse, who already has the adrenalin pumping. Trying to get the horse tied in such a fashion that an accurate shot could be fired, and not risking anyone's well being, or the other horses, was not pretty. How much better it would have been, although circumstances did not allow, for someone to be able to gently calm the horse, and a lethal injection given.

Brenda

i see, thank you for responding. 

IMHO in a "open high plains country" type drive/ride/camping  situation it is a bit irresponsible not to have a gun(and preferably someone that can use it) along just for such an occasion. but i suppose that is what this PC country has come to. i believe i may have been born about 100 years to late, or maybe 100 years to soon.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-11-03 8:43 AM (#32634 - in reply to #31767)

Expert

There once was an old farmer who got in a terible wreck. Some time later he decided he needed to sue the other party for the accident.  In court the opposing attorney questioned him.

Attorney: Didn't you tell the officer at the scene you were just fine?

Farmer: Yes, But!

Attorney: See, he was fine,

Judge: I want to hear the but.

Farmer: I could hear my mule in the other ditch. I could tell from her calls that she was hurt bad. When the police officer arrive he checked on the mule first and then came over to me, he said. Your mule was in pretty bad shape, I had to shoot her, How you doing?

I carry a gun on the trail. It's a large caliber pistol. Small caliber pistols are not very effective against bears. But even with bears I'd hope the noise from a warning shot would be sufficient vs actually shooting a bear.  In an emergency on the trail. Yes I would use it. But at home I wouldn't. First of all, they have pretty much banned discharging any firearm with in city limits. Firing a large caliber fire arm would just get me thrown in jail. Second, I would have to worry about the bullet passing through the animal and just where the bullet would terminate. Third, I'be the meanest man in the neighborhood to all the local kids when the store got around that I'd shot my horse.

I've shot a few cows for the butcher. A 22 cal bullet in the brain and they hit the ground instantly. I suspect a horse would not be much different. Short of being miles back on a remote trail, I'd opt for the vet. The vet would probably be present anyway for the final assessment that the animal was beyond saving.

hertiage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-11-04 7:22 AM (#32676 - in reply to #32611)

I have been on pack trips in the Gros Vende (sp?)wilderness area in Wyoming. I ask the guide if they carried a gun......no. I was surprised. Bear and an injured horse are always a concern on wilderness trips. On an Alaska widerness pack trip, we had a guide with a rifle readily at hand at the front of our group, and another at the back with rifle readily at hand. This was primarily for grizzly protection.

Brenda

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)