'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer roof insulation

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-14 10:34 PM
4 replies, 2862 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

KDL
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-13 11:52 PM (#31740)
Subject: Trailer roof insulation

I would like to try to insulate the ceiling of my dressing room myself since the local conversion outfits will not do partial conversions.  Walls are insulated & lined.  Roof is aluminum.  What do the conversion companies use?  How do you secure it to the roof/ceiling?  A pro told me they use a special kind of glue that is resistant to heat.  Is there some kind of reference guide for this?  It is a 10' short wall.  Spouse is a pretty good carpenter.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-14 12:39 PM (#31761 - in reply to #31740)
Subject: RE: Trailer roof insulation

Elite Veteran

I used 1 inch foam board in between my supports. If cut right, it will be a tight fit and stay there. I did not use any glue. I then used foil tape on all the seams. Then I attached 1x2 furring strips, long ways, the opposite way my ceiling supprts go. After that, you can put whatever ceiling cover you want and attched it to the furring strips. If you attach the ceiling cover directly to the metal support beams, you can get condensation running down the screw and into your ceiling cover. The furring strips stop the condensation from running to your cover.
KDL
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-14 1:37 PM (#31766 - in reply to #31740)

Is this the same foam board used in housing construction?  I'm assuming you attached the fur strips to the supports of the trailer.  Correct?    Thanks for the info. 
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-14 6:41 PM (#31778 - in reply to #31766)

Elite Veteran

Yes and yes. The are a couplke people on here who have done this and have pictures of the process. Do a search on insulating and you will see them.
KDL
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-14 10:34 PM (#31783 - in reply to #31740)

Wow!  There is some really great info here.  Thanks so much for the tip.  I have been cruising through the messages and various websites of photos from all the DIY'ers for two hours.  Boy, is my husband in trouble!  I have a 99  3 HS Sundowner with a mid tack - 10' shortwall all together.  I have been torn between selling it and buying a LQ trailer or trying to do something myself.  My courage level is way up now. 

The outside door to the mid-tack is limiting as to what can be done with the space behind it, but I was thinking about turning it into a "tack-closet" which would still be accessible from the outside, large enough for buckets, feed, longe whips, etc.  I would build a wall around this closet so the rest of the space behind it could be used as a bathroom.  There is already a door between dress room and mid-tack. Something tells me this would totally wreck the resale value of the trailer, though.  Oh well, at least I feel like I have options now.

Thanks to all those that have gone before and figured out so much of this already by trial and error.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)