'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Working horse into non-working hands

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-16 3:20 PM
15 replies, 4903 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

YoungBuck
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-12 6:30 AM (#31617)
Subject: Working horse into non-working hands

My buddy treats his so-called "high dollar" horse likes its a child. My opinion on this will probably piss horseman off....however their horses...not humans. Why make a them into spoiled couch-potatos...especially the working horse who fell into non-working hands.

My neighbor went out and boast/bought a high dollared, 6 gen. pedigreed, AKC Lab, but I know (he does too) that the pup will never hunt or trail.....samething with the horse & horseman??? Whats wrong with going to the pound or rescue to get a good animal??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-12 3:32 PM (#31645 - in reply to #31617)
Subject: RE: Working horse into non-working hands

Expert

Why are you upset again?

I breed high dollar labs and all but one is couch potatoe material to the core.  One hunts when it's not "too cold."  I like that as a breeder, some hunting dogs are treated like property.

What's wrong with treating your horse nice?  Don't you want them to treat you nice?  I got bucked off once and the darned horse came back and nudged me until I got up off the ground, kinda like he was saying he was sorry and he was just playing around.  I'd rather have them like me than run off knowing I'm going to be rough with them everytime we meet...I really hate chasing them down!

Montana
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-12 4:33 PM (#31655 - in reply to #31617)

What is your  point YoungBuck?   Is this a macho thing, you have to treat your "high dollar" horse like something other than a family member?  Personally, I have more respect for those that do treat their horses/dogs like family members.  I'll bet you'll find alot of Horsemen treat their horses like children.  Ever hear of having a relationship with your horse? 
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-10-12 4:36 PM (#31656 - in reply to #31617)

Regular

If I were a horse I'd choose Montana over Young Buck any day!  How about you?
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-12 6:25 PM (#31659 - in reply to #31617)

Veteran

Really, what is the point??  I really don't think it matters how spoiled someone's horses are, as long as they are caring for them.  We all have different views and levels of "spoiling" our horses.  My horses are my sanity, and I couldn't imagine life without them.  After a bad day, my horses are always there for me.

John Lyons previous travel partner "Bright Zip" was one of the most spoiled horses I have ever seen, he was also one of the most amazing horses I ever had the privledge of meeting.  I think your a little jealous that your friend can afford "high dollar" pets??? 

As for adopting from rescue or shelter, sure that's great, but if your friend chose to purchase a dog, I fail to see a problem as long as he provides for them. 

I applaud the fact that you must have purchased all your horses from the killer pen at the sale barn and all your pets are rescue's or shelter animals. 

Best of luck

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-12 10:26 PM (#31680 - in reply to #31617)

Expert

Wait a minute here. I think you are missing the point.

I for one have seen too many people treat their horses like family members. A horse is a horse and needs to be treated as a horse. That doesn't mean that I abuse the horse or that I don't have a relationship with them. You all teach your horses not to invade your space, not to kick or nip you like they do with pasture mates. When I enter the coral they come and they face me. I am the alpha not an equal.

I give my horses the best care I can. Regular vet visit. All the annual shots. ( I can't remember the last Flu shot or vacination I had) Good quality feed, regular exercise, regular scheduled farrier visit. Frequent apple or carrot treats. Good scratches and brush downs. But I don't treat them like family members. Maybe I'm an old softy, but my five daughter all too often get their way. With the horses there is no discussion about what I ask of them. Obey or get popped on the butt with the end of the lead rope.

Maybe that's the point the original poster was talking about. Too many people love horses and let them step on their toes. And maybe I misread the original post.

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-13 3:17 AM (#31684 - in reply to #31617)

Elite Veteran

There is nothing wrong with spending "high dollars" on pets. Whether it be a high cost horse or one that was free, they all need to be cared for properly (including exercising) and not "spoiled" enough to where they have no manners and no respect for the handler.
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-13 8:42 AM (#31697 - in reply to #31617)

Veteran

Good point "Paintedhorse"! Maybe his friend is really overboard with spoiling?? I agree with being alpha, it's a must. Horses don't see us as "human", we are fellow herdmates, thus we must be alpha.
Thanks for the post, maybe I was a little hard on the original message post.
Montana
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-13 11:00 AM (#31705 - in reply to #31617)

Let me think - hum?   Fear and intimidation, do I want to have a relationship with this person?  Not!  If the man wants to spoil his horse, let him.  I have three horses, and a 16 year old son.  ALL treat me with respect, as I do them.  All are allowed to have an opinion and all could probably be defined as spoiled.  Two of the three horses would take me anywhere I asked, the third is lame so she is unable to take me anywhere.  If you are playing with your horse at liberty and you ask them to go right and they go left.  Do you beat the hell out of them and make them to right or do you say, oh well, he wanted to go left?  I say oh well, he wanted to go left.  Guess what, my horses want to be with me.  The same goes for my son.  3.8 grade average and no drugs.  I think I'm winning. 

Edited by Montana 2005-10-13 11:02 AM
YoungBuck
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-13 1:44 PM (#31713 - in reply to #31705)

Feel free to LET ME have it!! I love good discussions just don't take it to personal level. However my friend & I disagree all the time.....but when the day is over we are still buddies. Humanizing leads to rude manners (in my opinion). My friend lets his horse eat off branches, stop and graze while we are trailriding. A big bag of CArrot & Cheetos everday is unnecessary. He needs to do some serious positive corrections, or maybe there is something wrong with me?? Let a horse be a horse on his time. verushka said, "If I were a horse I'd choose Montana over Young Buck any day! How about you" Thats not a fair statement. All my horse are happy, healthy and respectable. Our relationships our positive. The opposite of reward is not punishment. I might not have a high dollar, pedigreed, Champ, but their treated like one. I am the ALPHA MALE, not a herdmate trying to figure out the pecking order.
YoungBuck
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-13 1:52 PM (#31714 - in reply to #31713)

Montana, good luck with your son.  He will be rewarded for having to make tough/good decisions.  Decisions he makes now will affect him for a lifetime.  Your Truly blessed.  
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-13 3:20 PM (#31724 - in reply to #31617)

Elite Veteran

Youngbuck your most recent post explains what you meant in the first post better.  I agree about not allowing your horse to eat stuff on the trail as it could be poisioness or become a safety issue and it's just rude as it could cause the horse in back to run into you, etc.   I've heard many people say, "oh they won't eat it if it's poisoness."  Yeah right - I bought a book on poisoness plants & trees and was amazed how many there really are that are potentially a problem - even apple seeds in too large a quantity.  And that same horse will eat 100 pounds of grain if given the chance. 

I don't know where besides Fla it grows, but there is a vine called a Rosary Pea that has these hard red seeds with a black dot on them that are so highly poisoness that ONE will kill a horse or a human.  There is NO antidote, so if you eat one and the hard shell breaks, you'll die. It can be found all over Fla and I see it everywhere.  Now that is good enough reason not to allow your horse to eat anything along the trail.  My humble apologies for sorta hijacking the thread.

I also don't allow my horse to use me for a rubbing post, though I see many that do. Respect is the key.

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-13 3:54 PM (#31726 - in reply to #31617)

Veteran

I think youngbuck explained a little more, and seems like a genuine and nice person.  Think about it, a jerk that didn't care 2 cents for horses wouldn't be posting on a message site like this anyway!!!

We just all have to agree to disagree sometimes!  I spoil my horse more than my friends, and less than my neighbor.  Are any of us wrong??  Just depends on your opinion, and we all have different ones!  I bet youngbuck's horses are great at what they do and VERY well cared for.

Diane

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-10-13 7:09 PM (#31728 - in reply to #31617)

Extreme Veteran

I agree, "spoiling" is not interpreted the same by everyone. I would consider my horses spoiled, and they are treated as children in a way... but they are first and formost horses (900 lbs and up) and can be dangerous if they don't respect me.

My horses get treats and probably get away with a few things they shouldn't, but never to a dangerous or bad manners extent.

On that note - ever try and convince a 3yr old that you are the boss when she respects no one in the herd either - auuhhhg what an up hill battle.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-15 10:00 PM (#31803 - in reply to #31617)

Expert

MBRA thanks for that. I'm trying to start a 2 year old and wondering what's wrong with my training technics :-)
tazassape
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-10-16 3:20 PM (#31822 - in reply to #31617)

There is a difference between spoiling a child and loving a child. The same is true of horses. I think we all understand now what YoungBuck was gettin at. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)