'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Beware Gmc/Chevy Truck Buyer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-16 5:07 PM
18 replies, 5304 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dnickerson
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-10-07 8:22 PM (#31429)
Subject: Beware Gmc/Chevy Truck Buyer

I purchased a 2005 Gmc Serra 2500Hd Duramax in Aug, an noticed a vibration in the front end. The dealer told me because the truck had been sitting for so long that once i drove it an gave the tire a chance to wear in the vibration would go away.(What a fool I am) Well after 6000 miles i took the truck back to be checked out, because i still had the vibration plus my tires are wearing down on the inside. The dealer rotated & balacnced my tires plus found that the front end was out of aglinment . OK, a week or to later i start getting the same vibration & shakeing, I call GM & file my complaint, GM said the will call the deal an make arrangement for them to look at the truck again. I take the truck in to the dealer, & again the front end in out of aglinment plus the rear tires that were put on the front are wearing on the inside, on top of that the dealer is going to charge me $90.00 for the aglinment,telling me that GM won't cover this second aglinment under the warranty because it is consider road hazard!!! Well I refused to pay !!!! So I called GM & I'm told that only the first aglinment is cover even thou the problem have been there since I first bought the truck but the would call the dealer to see what the thought is causeing the problem? Two days later after the second aglinment the problem in the front returns, I go back to the dealer & tell him, He said that he will contact GM to see what the want to do, I also call GM to inform them that the problem is still there!!!!!! I returned to the dealer today & he shows me a bulletin that GM has issued to dealers dated 10/03/05 in regards to suspension vibration /Frame Beaming @ 40-60 mph & that the shaking & vibration is a normal characteristic for this vehicle & no repair attempts should be made. Well you know that i called GM & asked them to explain why the front end aglinment continues to go out plus the inside of the tires are wearing down there answer! There are no defects in the vehcile that the alinment & tire wear is normal for this vehicle & that if i'm unhappy with the work /results that the dealer did , I'm free to have the truck checked out at another dealer BUT GM WOULD NOT COVER ANY COST UNSTILL I COULD PROOF THAT THERE IS A DEFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the last two weeks , I have been walking up to stranger that have the same vehicle & finding out that they are haveing the same problem & same results with GM . I'm 53 & never have owns a vehicle that needed the front end & tire wear like this , By the way the truck only has 12,000 miles . SO IF YOU ARE THINKING OF BUYING A GMC/CHEVY YOU NEED TO CHECK IN TO THIS & THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU SPEND $40,000 ON THIS GM PRODUCT!!!!!!! The document id # is 1708926 that will verify what i'm stating . For myself, I'm just going to turn the truck in , Im not going to pay a five year note on a vehicle that needs to be aglined every other week & need new tires every 15-20,000 miles .I would like to hear from anyone else who is having the same problem ?

Edited by dnickerson 2005-10-10 7:17 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-10 6:04 PM (#31535 - in reply to #31429)
Subject: RE: Beware Gmc/Chevy Truck Buyer

Extreme Veteran

Hey.  I don't want sound lippy or anything,  But you are the only person i've ever heard about having problems with their GM/Chevy truck. May be I don't get out of Iowa enough. I also own a 2005 chevy Duramax. No Problems with it.  I love My Truck!!!!
dnickerson
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-10-10 7:19 PM (#31543 - in reply to #31535)

I,m glad you're not having any problem with your 2005 chevy . I wish that i could say the same but I can't, I had a dodge 3500 that i traded in for the serra. Before the dodge i had a chevy 2500 6.0 & never had a problem with that truck but when i bought a new trailer i needed to go to a desiel,& at the time dodge offerer the best rebates. I traded the dodge in at 65000 miles & bought the serra duramax & didn't expect on having any problem , maybe i have the lemon all auto manufacturer have them. But like I stated you can check out the bullentin that GM issue to all dealership 10/3 , an again i do have the virbration & shaking, the front end aglined twice & still shakes ,tires wearing on the inside, hey i don't know what the answer is?? But GM is telling me that this is normal for this size truck & refuses to cover any corrections needed!!!!! Hey again I'm glad you're truck is fine,thanks for the reply & good luck . One other question ,what do you get for fuel mileage towing & not towing
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-10 7:22 PM (#31544 - in reply to #31429)

Extreme Veteran

There can always be one bad lemon in the bunch and in your case, you own one. So what, trade it in, get something different and be done with it. Take your sob story somewhere else and take your bashing of a GM vehicle with you.

And yes, I own a Dmax as well and have no complaints. But I am not a die hard fan of one brand. As long as that truck does its job and meets my expectations in pulling power I'm satisfied.

dnickerson
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-10-10 7:41 PM (#31546 - in reply to #31544)

I'm not bashing GM , & the truck is my problem . But for someone who is looking to buy a new truck might want to know about any bullentins  that have been issues to dealer  on a vehicle  that  the consumer is not going to see or told about unstill the problem arises.  And I'm glad your truck is great, the posting is for new truck buyer

Summit1
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-10 8:03 PM (#31547 - in reply to #31429)

Ok, I have a problem that someone may help out with. I have a 2002 one ton Duramax, that has had tie rod ends and idler arm replaced, because of vibration coming through the steering column.I still have the same thing,it seems like I can feel every bump in the road. I have had tires checked, the front end re-checked by the dealer and they say everything is fine. I haul a forty foot horse trailer and a bunch of kids around, so a little worried about safety. Anyone got suggestions

Thanks

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-10-10 9:08 PM (#31550 - in reply to #31544)

Expert

Trade it in with only 12,000 miles?  You do know what kind of hit that will be to the wallet don't you?   I think he's got a right to gripe when the dealer won't/can't repair the problem and you find out your not the only one with the problem.

Lotek
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-10-10 10:59 PM (#31555 - in reply to #31429)

Did you or the dealer add 500 lbs to the bed of the truck behind the axle per the tsb to verify that the cause of your vibration is beam shake? Do you feel the vibration in the seat or the wheel? Does the vibration change with road surface? I doubt that beam shake could cause your alignment problems, may be time to try another dealer.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-10-10 11:10 PM (#31557 - in reply to #31429)

Extreme Veteran

dnickerson....scream...yell "BASH" away! You have my permision! Your dealer said it sat to long and the tires had flat spots...LOL....I've had my own share of "SOB" stories and I didn't just go buy a new one! Lean on the dealer big time...or find a new dealer! Dodge had a simular driveshaft vibration problem with some of there rigs....They had to buy back a few...Does your state have lemon laws? Find a chebby duramax website and get some real 1st hand feed back! Here are 2 I found http://www.gm-diesel.com/ or http://dieselplace.com/forum/ They may help a bit more?! Good luck...Oh yea I stuck with a Dodge myself.
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-10-11 1:33 AM (#31562 - in reply to #31429)

Extreme Veteran

"A bulletin that GM has issued to dealers dated 10/03/05 in regards to suspension vibration /Frame Beaming @ 40-60 mph & that the shaking & vibration is a normal characteristic for this vehicle & no repair attempts should be made ."

That's awesome!!!  GM designed a truck that shakes & vibrates.  Must be a new way to generate revenue for repair dept.

Hey MR Truck, what do you know about this issue?

Stay on em dnickerson!!

Lotek
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-10-11 10:04 PM (#31612 - in reply to #31429)

FYI, The condition described in the bulletin seems to describe a vibration that is actually caused by the truck passing over the expansion joints in a concrete highway, the road settles in the middle of the slab and the truck starts to bounce becaus the wheelbase of the truck is near the length of the slab. Caltrans actually goes out and grinds the road down when it gets too bad. The 710 fwy is especially bad, but I don't feel it in my 1ton standard cab, but can get seasick in a 3/4 ton crew cab. If you feel the vibration on asphalt they are probably barking up the wrong tree.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-11 10:52 PM (#31613 - in reply to #31429)

Elite Veteran

The vibration that I heard of on GM HD was in the driveshaft. They dampened it, balanced it, weighted it and made the drive shaft as big as a bazooka and some still vibrate . Ford has had drive shaft vibrations from the angle of the pinion shaft which they can shim for less vibration when loaded but can vibrate more when unloaded. Have to keep watching the TSB.
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-10-12 7:34 AM (#31619 - in reply to #31429)

Extreme Veteran

Well be patient. I know its hard. Try to keep your cool with GM customer service. Its hard. Very hard. I have been there too. I had an 03 2500 bought back by GM with 6k miles on it. The dealer first offered to trade me out of it too. Dont do it yet. I kept calling folks and wrote a letter to GM customer service. In the end I sat down with the dealer (which was the owner of the dealership) and we had a heart to heart. After about 20 minutes of me doing the talking he was persuaded to help me. He made one call. One call is what it will take from the dealer to get some help. Its hard to get. My case was strong though I dont know about yours. I had been in four times for a leaking tranny. Four times in 13 weeks of ownership, 8 of which the dealer kept the truck. It takes time. I also have had three other dmax's without major problems.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-12 3:48 PM (#31647 - in reply to #31429)

Expert

Have they had one of GM's diesel tech's look at it?  I mean the one's that come from the factory...the big boys/girls that are the top of their game.

Had problems with my PSD and I got a diesel tech on a plane the next day from Ford headquarters.  They did about $12K worth of parts replacement and it runs like a dream...with the exception of having a new alternator every two years...but we are grinding away on that stump too!

I got real help when I changed dealerships...when the truck is bought back it actually gets charged to the original dealership.  Another dealer will gladly help you pick the pockets of their competitor!  They get good marks for rectifying the problem and all that money from GM is service work...they'll even try and sell you another potential junker!

Lotek
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-10-12 11:37 PM (#31681 - in reply to #31429)

Summit1, sounds like you have a noisy intermediate shaft, there is a bulletin on that one too, I have seen this one in the shop a lot, it isn't a safety problem, just annoying. If you are in warranty it is covered, if you are out talk to the service mgr
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-16 7:12 AM (#31808 - in reply to #31543)

Extreme Veteran

My truck only has 14,000 miles on so far.  But I drive 7 miles to work one way. If I keep my foot out of the carpet, Iv'e been getting 18 mpg.  I recently came back from Oklahoma City with 2 big bales of hay on my car trailer.  The hay weighed in at 1800 pounds each.   I got 14.5 at a steady 70mph.  I also have a 3 horse featherlite gn.  At 70mph I get 13.5, at 75mph I get 13mpg and so on.  Down the interstate with no trailers..19mpg.  I hope GM takes care of this problem for you.   Let us know what happens.  good luck!
tazassape
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-10-16 2:15 PM (#31818 - in reply to #31544)

Originally written by MIfarmbabe on 2005-10-10 7:22 PM

There can always be one bad lemon in the bunch and in your case, you own one. So what, trade it in, get something different and be done with it. Take your sob story somewhere else and take your bashing of a GM vehicle with you.

And yes, I own a Dmax as well and have no complaints. But I am not a die hard fan of one brand. As long as that truck does its job and meets my expectations in pulling power I'm satisfied.

I haven't been here in quite a while but I see MIfarmbabe is still running off at the mouth and putting people down.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-16 4:34 PM (#31824 - in reply to #31818)

Extreme Veteran

Ouch!! Well welcome back to the forum and giving your honest  opinion. Hmmm, are you sure you aren't confusing me with other "farmbabe" on here? She can get pretty cynical sometimes. LOL!!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-16 5:07 PM (#31825 - in reply to #31429)

Expert

hey how did i get drug into this thing?

I can't help it if i am right....truth hurts...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)