'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer hitch problem

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-09 3:52 PM
3 replies, 2806 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-07 11:58 AM (#31402)
Subject: trailer hitch problem

Regular

OK first, no laughing at the terms I use explaining my problem because I don’t know the correct names of stuff. I have a gooseneck ball hitch on my Eby trailer (came this way 2 years ago). My problem is that the safety lever/lock - the handle like thing. The way the trailer is constructed the lever cannot be raised to sit on the metal knob that keeps the pin from holding the ball on the truck. Now, I can raise the lever (obviously, or I’d never be able to hook/unhook) and kind of wedge the handle in the up position, however, it is a precarious thing and I worry the thing/handle and pin will drop while halfway through hooking up or unhooking and lock up. Actually there was one time it DID lock up on me while unhooking and I had to crank back down and start over again. My question is, short of having another metal knob welded on to rest the handle on, what is my solution? Can the entire hitch be swiveled 20 degrees so that the knobby thing is where it can/should be to use? In looking at the construction of the V where the handle/hitch is on the trailer, I COULD cut a piece out of the V to let the handle swing onto the knob, but it would be a pretty good chunk to cut out and I wonder if the integrity of the trailer would be compromised. Does anyone have a solution? Does anyone know what the heck I’m talking about?? LOL I really should take pictures to describe what I’m talking about, and may do just that this weekend.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-07 12:16 PM (#31404 - in reply to #31402)
Subject: RE: trailer hitch problem

Expert

Okay .. Not laughing.. By your description, it seems as the lower portion of hitch (part with the locking handle) could be rotated to clear the gusset(the V thing)

To do this.

Hitch your truck to the trailer. but don't lock anything.  This is a safety precaution.

Then use the jack to raise the hitch off the truck's ball by 1/2 inch.

Then loosen the locking bolts that hold the lower portion in  the upper tube.  You will likely have to loosen the locking nut on the screws too.  Safety here... When you loosen the screws enough, the lower hitch will drop down.  It's heavy.  The truck will stop it from falling all the way out.

Rotate the lower hitch so the locking handle isn't blocked anymore.

Lower the trailer until the hitch is the same length it was previously, Then retighten the screws and lock nuts.

You should be able to use the hitch locking handle holding stud now.

Congratulate yourself on a good job!

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-07 3:06 PM (#31415 - in reply to #31402)

Expert

Another tip:  Use some thread penetrant like WD-40 or rust-buster the night before on the locking screws and nuts.  After two years in the weather, those threads could be mighty stuck with rust.  You will need a very large wrench.  Maybe even a piece of pipe as a cheater bar.

Did this solve your problem?

pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-09 3:52 PM (#31495 - in reply to #31402)

Regular

Hosspuller you are a GENIUS!!! Thank you for your help. With the help of my husband, 3 trips to the hardware store for the correct size wrench, and about 15 minutes work – my problem is solved. I cannot believe I could not figure this out by myself, however I AM blond. LOL.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)