'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Gooseneck LQ trailer questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-08 9:36 PM
7 replies, 4013 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

roadranger
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-06 8:15 PM (#31386)
Subject: Gooseneck LQ trailer questions

Looking to upgrade to a gooseneck with livingquarters- something around 12 ft shortwall. Got a couple of questions;

How much ground clearance is there on a 26-28 ft. long trailer? Any hangup problems getting in and out of fields or campsites?

Does all of the plumbing/tanks hang down underneath the floor? Any chance of tearing all of that off?

Thanks for any info!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-06 11:10 PM (#31387 - in reply to #31386)
Subject: RE: Gooseneck LQ trailer questions

Expert

I weighed these same questions this spring. I use my trailer A LOT in the mountains. Rarely at the fair grounds. So I was very interested in what I could drag into the forest. I bought a 3 horse LQ that is 24' long in the box. My old  3 horse with dressing room was 19.4'. I do feel the difference.

I notice that the new trailer definitely cuts the corners. I have to swing a little wider on all corners. I suspect this will be a problem in some of the tighter camp grounds.  It also limits which gas pumps I can pull into. I've been careful to watch the trailer tires in my mirrors as I drive down forest service roads. So far I've been able to navigate the roads. Swinging wide to miss the occassional rock or rut on the road. I've not had any problem dragging my trailer bumper. But I've avoided a few places I took my older trailer. Just because I suspect it would drag. 

Differnt manufactures of trailers hold the bottom higher off the road.  Some want to make it easier for horses to load. There is also a difference in how far back the trailer tires are set.  The farther back the less overhang.  The less overhang the less chance of a "Teeter Totter" effect dragging the bumper. But you get more weight on the Hitch.

A friend of mine had the dealer "LIFT" his trailer an additional 2" to help with clearance on his large Sundowner. His endurance horses are plenty athletic to jump up the extra 2". So there are some options to improve clearances.

As far as the tanks. I've had no problems dragging them.  But the gravel on dirt roads has broken off both CAPS that covered the outlets for the Black & Grey Water tanks. I suspect I will have to get some sort of splash guard to put behind my tires so they don't kick up rocks and damage anything else.

roadranger
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-07 11:08 AM (#31398 - in reply to #31386)

Thanks for the reply, Painted Horse.

Another question;
Can you do any cold weather camping at trailheads without freezing up the tanks/plumbing?
diamond_j
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-07 11:30 AM (#31399 - in reply to #31386)

Regular

If you order a trailer, you can have them lift them up. 2" can make a big difference. If you're camping in really cold places, you can get tank warmers for your holding tanks so you don't have to worry about them freezing.

you're a tougher camper than me if that's a concern. I'm a big baby when it comes to the cold!
roadranger
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-07 2:59 PM (#31413 - in reply to #31399)

lol! no, not tough...Up here at higher altitudes spring and fall, it can be a pleasant 50-60 degrees during the day, but get down below freezing at night.Tank warmers? Any links or info on these?Thanks for the tip on lifting the trailer. I'm going from BP to a gooseneck trailer, and my Dodge 2500 4x4 already has 5 inch or so blocks between the axle and springs. Something has to change!
diamond_j
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-07 4:34 PM (#31418 - in reply to #31386)

Regular

if you google "holding tank heater" it'll give you several places to get some.

maybe someone here can tell us how well they work.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-08 10:03 AM (#31452 - in reply to #31413)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by roadranger on 2005-10-07 11:59 AM

and my Dodge 2500 4x4 already has 5 inch or so blocks between the axle and springs. Something has to change!

That may be a problem. I have the same truck and I had to go down to the original stock size tires. I had taller ones on (to help fill in the "gap" in the wheel wells). The stock tires give me about 10 inches of clearance on the gooseneck to the bed of my truck. We do a lot of "off road" camping and need all the clearance we can get. Been close a couple times, but never hit anything yet. You may have to take out your 5" blocks. If you are ordering a new trailer, they may be able to compensate there. Good luck!

roadranger
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-08 9:36 PM (#31484 - in reply to #31386)

Thanks all for the good info...

Went to my closest dealer today to check things out. He is a Bison dealer  with 5-6 LQ units on the lot. Direct measured the trailers, and they have 18 in road clearance just forward of the axle, and the holding tanks are midway forward of the axle with only 9 inches road clearance!   Must be good for Interstate highway travel only! Salesman tells me Bison factory will NOT do suspension lifts. Too bad, trailer seems to be a good bang for the buck, although I could see daylight looking down at the sidewall/floor junction, and the rear doors showed sunlight thru the seam at the top. When I mentioned it, salesman said in one breath that he had never heard of the Bison roof leak problems, and 5 minutes later says Bison now has upgraded to a one piece 'leakproof' aluminum roof.

Got a chance to check out the hitch and ball height situation on my Dodge, and it looks like I can get it hitched up OK, just don't know how much clearance to the bed there will be- don't have a gooseneck hitch yet...Gotta keep pluggin' away!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)