'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
insulate gooseneck deck?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-10 7:17 AM
9 replies, 7498 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

karenb
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-10-05 10:42 PM (#31346)
Subject: insulate gooseneck deck?

Regular

Hello everyone...

Getting geared up to start work on my LQ and have some questions.

Those of you who have done your own LQ's...
have you insulated the gooseneck inside (where the mattress goes and vertical wall)?

If so, have you removed the factory installed (glued) carpet or insulated over it?

My trailer has a spray on (bedliner) coating on the gooseneck but
seems this would probably not be enough insulation...any thoughts?

Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-06 2:10 AM (#31348 - in reply to #31346)
Subject: RE: insulate gooseneck deck?

Elite Veteran

I was not going to do mine. This is why: I am going to have a full standing closet on one side with a place to put a TV on top if I wanted to. My entry door is on the driver's side, so when you walk in the door, the closet would be immediately to your left. Then along the rest of the verical wall, I am going to put in a boot box. Then the sofa that folds out to a bed along the long wall, up next to the vertical wall. I am going to put nicer, thicker carpet on top on the factory glued on carpet. I feel that will be enough insulation with the cabinets and carpet I will be installing.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-06 7:26 AM (#31350 - in reply to #31346)

Elite Veteran

I camped for 3 years with a friend that originally bought a 2H GN Aluminum Sundowner that she had LQ items installed in it - long ocunter top, fridge, hot water heater, cowboy shower, etc.  She opted not to insulate it and regretted it later.  On cold morning the inside of the trailer walls would be wet with dew and you couldn't get the trailer warm enough inside.  She had it insulated after a year and what a difference!  It would have been cheaper to do it in the first place, so I say YES insulate.  By the way, we camp mainly in Fla, so for Oregon it wouldn't even be a question to me. 

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-06 9:12 AM (#31353 - in reply to #31346)

Veteran

the bottom of my goosneck area is insulated. We pulled up the carpet and framed the bed with 2x4's and insluation. Then we put a thick carpet over it. It works great. I had not done any of the walls or such, it is bare shell inside, and it isn't cold to sleep on with a mattress... but man is it freezing inside the trailer in general. My next trailer will be insulated.

Example last weekend we went camping, hubby definatly realized why I want another... it was colder in the trailer than it was outside.. It traps in the cold and hot depending on the temp outside!! :)
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-10-06 1:43 PM (#31368 - in reply to #31353)

Extreme Veteran

I pulled my carpet off and insulated the gooseneck and vertical wall. Carpet came up very easily. I have pics on my website.

http://todd.redwrench.com

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-06 3:28 PM (#31373 - in reply to #31346)

Elite Veteran

I would worry about gluing over existing carpet. The glue could do a couple of things-react with the carpet materials and create poor adhesion or other problems or soften up the glue holding down the current carpet and creating even worse problems.
diamond_j
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-08 10:15 AM (#31455 - in reply to #31346)

Regular

We always remove any carpet and insulate the deck. There are a lot of reasons we do this, but it will make you more comfortable at the least.
karenb
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-10-08 12:01 PM (#31460 - in reply to #31346)

Regular

Thank you all for your replies and insight!

Very helpful!

Any other things you wish you'd done in the begining?

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-08 12:37 PM (#31462 - in reply to #31460)

Veteran

One easy way to insulate your gooseneck floor is to remove the carpet. Install a 3/4 inch piece of rigid foam board using glue (construction adhesive made just for ridid foam board..available from lowes or home depot etc) then cut and glue 7/16 osb to the top of the foamboard. Then re-carpet over the osb.

I recommend insulation on your floor...the carpet is hard to remove but you wont regret the extra work to insulate your floor, especially if you end up camping in some cold weather. Plus it cuts down on outside noise and the method I mentioned only takes up about 1" of headroom.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-10 7:17 AM (#31509 - in reply to #31346)

Elite Veteran

My friend had her trailer wired for electric and regrets not getting propane (fridge, water heater, etc) as many of the places we camp don't have electric. Yes, she runs her generator, but it sure is nice to have peace and quiet and you can't run them at night.  Without propane, the fridge is really more like a cooler as she has to keep frozen water bottles etc to cool it as it ony cools when the generator is on if there isn't electric. 

t

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)