'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
sweating of supports

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-04 3:54 PM
3 replies, 2826 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

morgans2
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-10-03 9:15 AM (#31249)
Subject: sweating of supports

Hi,

My dressing room has foam insulation between the supports.  The supports themselves are not insulated. I went camping with a friend this weekend and I was awakened by a drop of water that had condensed above my head in the GN area.  Any suggestion on what to place on the ribs?  I'm not looking to completely finish my dressing room.

Morgans2

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tnmulerider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-03 4:04 PM (#31277 - in reply to #31249)
Subject: RE: sweating of supports

I have had the same problem.  A friend told me that he had drilled 3 holes in each support (one in the center and one on each end) and used the foam insulation that comes in a can.  It worked pretty well but can be messy.  If you try doing this, you need to put the insulation in the center hole and watch for it to come out the holes on each side.  The problem I encounter was that when it start coming out of the holes on the sides, you have already put to much insulation because as the insulation expands it keeps coming out the side holes.  I don't know now to gauge the right amount.  Maybe someone can give you a better suggestion.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-10-04 10:57 AM (#31309 - in reply to #31277)

Expert

If you do use the foam, get the minimal expanding stuff.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-04 3:54 PM (#31319 - in reply to #31309)

Veteran

You will need to cover the aluminum with some type of wall covering..there are a lot of posts here on the site re this subject. The bottom line is that if you camp in cold weather with the high humidity inside a trailer, these steel or aluminum supports are going to have condensation on them. Simply covering them with wood paneling is sometimes not enough, in winter the paneling will actually have moisture condense on it. When I finished my trailer I cut foam betwen the aluminum supports and then attached furring strips to the supports and then put another layer of foam between the furring strips. The 3/4 wood strips have enough insulation that they keep any moisture from condensing on the paneling or whatever you attache for wall covering. Even if you attach paneling to the walls or ceiling with screws into the steel or aluminum supports, the screw heads can actually condense and drip on your head.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)