'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
cm trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-08 9:52 PM
11 replies, 6970 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cathie
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-10-01 9:05 PM (#31222)
Subject: cm trailers

What can you tell me about them? I'm going to look at one on the 13 and wanted some input on them before I make the trip. I have been told that it is a legacy w/e package. 6 ft sw. and some other things. I have looked at the pictures here on this site. ( she has none of the trailer, but she is selling WAY below what they are being asked for here). The trailer is here in town, so it;s not a far drive, but she is in Texas, and I will not go to it until she gets here in town. She is a friend so I'm not worried about her selling it from underneth me.

So what is Good/ bad with this brand of trailer?

Please inform me. This will be my first newish trailer, my last 2 have been over 10 years old.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-10-01 9:51 PM (#31223 - in reply to #31222)
Subject: RE: cm trailers

I am also looking for a trailer and CM is on my short list.  My trainer bought one last year at Congress and she loves it!  Everything is very functional... drop down windows easy to reach,  good slam latches that she can open with one hand, all doors close tight, pulls well, good ties, lights and ventilation. I think CM was started by former Hart people.  Good luck!  Hope it works out for you!
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-10-02 1:33 AM (#31226 - in reply to #31222)

Extreme Veteran

I've heard the same thing about former Hart people at CM (now Cimmaron)

I don't know alot about the Legacy line, but I bought a new Norstar in 2004 and love it. We reseached the matter long and hard before making the purchase. CM's are very well built,the fiberglass roof is awesome very strong and great insulating value. Good hinges on doors and windows zert fittings on all of them. Drop downs are very solid with good latches. The latches for dividers are the best. The door latch/locking system is also great. Look it over good, if you like what you see and it meets your needs you should be well pleased.

Have you read MR. Trucks review of Cimmaron Trailers on top of the opening page?  

Cathie
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-10-02 7:43 AM (#31227 - in reply to #31222)
Subject: Thanks

No I didn't even know that they were the same company. It was very interesting.
QHHUS
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-10-03 8:31 AM (#31246 - in reply to #31227)
Subject: RE: Thanks

I second everything that Rockyrider said!!!   I also have a new Norstar and I absolutely love it!!  We did alot of comparing and we feel it is one of the best made trailers on the market.   The flooring system is by far one of the best out there.   I don't know if the Legacy is made the same way but if it is, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.   Good luck!
jillian
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-10-07 8:31 AM (#31392 - in reply to #31222)

I am also looking into CM trailers. I am considering a 3 horse bumper pull Dakota with a few options. Drops,vents,7' tall,etc.  Has anyone used the ramp on the Dakota?  I like the concept of a ramp, but am concerned about back injury lifting.  I have heard some trailers have easy ramps and some take 2 large people.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-07 2:21 PM (#31412 - in reply to #31392)

Expert

Originally written by jillian on 2005-10-07 8:31 AM

I like the concept of a ramp,   >
but does your horse?
grayland
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-07 10:21 PM (#31432 - in reply to #31222)

Regular

I have a 2000 CM Legend, which I believe was the predecessor to the Legacy. It was made at the end of the model year, and was one of the first trailer in that line with an aluminum roof instead of fiberglass. It is steelframe with an aluminum skin. For the most part, I have been very happy with the trailer. It still looks good and has held up well.

I had a problem at first with the windows in the gooseneck leaking - this was really more of a design problem by the window manufacturer, as the weeps in the bottom track weren't back far enough to allow the water to drain away from the rear corner of the windows. It took 2 different repair shops (dealer didn't do repairs, more on that later), but got it fixed.

About 4 months after the one year warranty period the roof started to leak in the dressing room (ruined chaps, hats, etc). Dealer said it was out of warranty so nothing could be done about it. I contacted CM directly and they agreed to take care of repairs, but only if I took it to an authorized CM service center - closest was a 6 hour drive, each way, from home. Service Center was very agreeable to fix the trailer, but wanted to keep it a week to make sure they had the problem taken care of. Understand why, but travel like that was big problem for me.

After a lot of tears, profanities, stress and frustration, I finally discovered the rain was coming in through the welds at the front corners of the roof. Some silver/gray caulk over the welds solved the problem.

I am not displeased with CM trailers or the company (would love to have Norstar, though). Being one of the first aluminum roofs, probably left my trailer more prone to problems until the bugs were worked out, and they were willing to take care of problems even after the warranty period. I do warn people buying new trailers to consider where they would need to take their trailer for warranty work if a problem develops. If there is no manufacturer recognized service center reasonably close, warranty service might be a BIG problem.
KCW
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-08 9:19 AM (#31451 - in reply to #31222)

Veteran

www.milltrailers.com

Edited by KCW 2005-10-08 9:22 AM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-08 1:30 PM (#31466 - in reply to #31222)

Expert

Originally written by wingnut1 on 2005-10-08 12:21 AM

CM...I guess if you can accept the fact that they come "pre-rusted" straight from the factory...They rate right up there with the new Miley's we have on the lot.Nah,that isn't fair to CM!!

interesting, when i finally bought my new trailer, CM steel trailers were a strong second choice, what exactly are you refering to "pre-rusted"?????

jillian
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-10-08 5:28 PM (#31476 - in reply to #31222)

Does my horse like a ramp?

I have never taken hem up a ramp, but he is an older horse that has been fine as long as the trailer is "roomy" and light.  My older horse knows to calmly turn around and step out forward from the trailer.  It seems to bother him stepping down from the trailer although he doesn't give me any trouble.  I suspect it's a little hard an his front joins.  My knees aren't what they used to be either. 

I too, am very concerned about the "rusty" issue.  The main reason I was looking at CM is because I wanted a minimal rust galvaneal trailer with quick release slam latches.  CM is the only galvaneal trailer sales in my area.

grayland
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-08 9:52 PM (#31485 - in reply to #31222)

Regular

Don't get the pre-rust comment either. Again, my trailer is now 5 years old and the "steel"that is exposed only shows discolorment where there have been scratches or some sort of ding. Again, my trailer is aluminum on steel, don't know much about the all steels.

And yes, CM and Cimmarron are NOW separate companies, but when the Norstars came out they WERE sold under the CM lable. I don't think they started selling under "Cimmarron" until 1 or 2 years ago.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)